What's everyone working on?

9 hours ago, smjsome said:

also, my husbands herd of beasts, this year I bought a roomba, laughed at myself while doing it.  Now, roomba has a name  - Wendell, and we all love him, no longer create a floating wave of hair when I walk across the living room every morning!  So much better 

Gah!.. I need a Roomba sooooo badly! :D 

I've been spending a bit of time lurking around model railroader forums.. looking for the most efficient and effective way to make a big tree for the San Franciscan's front yard. 

6 minutes ago, Samusa said:

I've been spending a bit of time lurking around model railroader forums.. looking for the most efficient and effective way to make a big tree for the San Franciscan's front yard. 

Big tree, you say? :D  I did make my own trunk for this one, but I later switched the foliage application using a tutorial by Connie Sauve.  It's the best tree I've done because the foliage material is so spot on.  I don't know if you can get similar stuff where you are, but see if you can.  Connie used an actual branch for her base.

http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/species-reclassification
http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/plantings-and-mowing

1 hour ago, otterine said:

Big tree, you say? :D  I did make my own trunk for this one, but I later switched the foliage application using a tutorial by Connie Sauve.  It's the best tree I've done because the foliage material is so spot on.  I don't know if you can get similar stuff where you are, but see if you can.  Connie used an actual branch for her base.

http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/species-reclassification
http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/plantings-and-mowing

I love your tree Brae.. it's a masterpiece! :clap: .. I've looked for Candytuft over here in Australia but can't find it.  :( We have it as a plant (we call it pepper grass) but it doesn't seem to be dried and used for any crafting applications. I'm tempted to buy it from an American site, but I'm not sure it would make it though customs.. :ermm:

So I've been looking for other options... I considered JTT wire foliage but I'm not convinced of it's realism.. though I haven't seen it in person... I did find a tutorial on a railroad blog that made bushes from lichen, spray painted a brown colour (to simulate branches) and then sprinkled with Noch leaves. I quite like the effect for a bush and am thinking I might be able to adapt the these bushes to be clumps of foliage that I can attach to my branches.

DSC_0015.JPG

This is what the railroader does... from this blog. If they don't work out for tree foliage then I guess I will have a lot of small leaf bushes... lol

Me and half scale stair assemblies don't get along!!!   I rebuild the one in the Fairfield three times and now the one in the Rosedale twice!!!    I almost decided to leave it out of this house but after tearing it apart and regluing it will have to do.  :doh:

• Like 2

On 6/7/2017, 11:28:58, DaisyV said:

The tiny rug is gorgeous, the design is very sweet, very Christmassy

Thank you and thanks everyone for the moral support about the cleaning and dog hair, I've definitely got to look into getting a Roomba! 

Been working on the brick Colonial's exterior....painting and trim are done, now just waiting for a Yorktown window pediment to arrive in the mail to finish things off.  Haven't installed the coach lights yet.  I figure I may turn the house on it's ear while doing some interior ceiling painting, so I don't want to risk breaking them off! 

I also started interior work- a.k.a spackling!  Just a skim coat to even out rough surfaces. The client is coming over next week to annoy me check on progress and make sure we are on the same page with the upgrades. Therefore, I am holding off on finishing the tape wire until she sees the house...in case she wants something changed/added/removed. blargh.

On the baby front:  DD is being induced today!  So the way things are going it may be tomorrow until this little one finally arrives!  C'mon baby! :cheer:

• Like 4

That rug is so nice! I actually bought a needlepunch needle, but never have tried it.

I had a lot of things to do today, but I didn't feel good, and it rained most of the day, so started picking at the Bayberry in earnest. So far, so good. Does anyone have a suggestion for a quick and easy way to get the brick material off? I can pop it off with a putty knife and a hammer, but that's going to take a while.

I got all of the Magik Brik scraped off, and it wasn't bad. I used a wide, sharp putty knife and tack hammer, took less than an hour for the whole thing. I'm impressed that the product is that sturdy. Today's plan is to keep scraping paint drips and glue blobs, and I need to do some patching around the windows where I removed the trim. The big plan is to scrape and patch the whole thing, inside and out, sand the whole thing, inside and out, then prime and paint. The house is quite heavy, and I want to get all of the messy work done out in the garage before I bring it in, because toting it around back and forth isn't a good idea.  

I have been working on the Vintage S&W Country Estate I purchased in January of this year.  It was all together, but never finished and parts were missing and needed TLC.  So, I got to work and turned walls around so doors would be in place according the the original plans. I noticed some of the lap siding was glued in upside down so I corrected that, plus all the other little things.   After reconstruction ended in mid-march, I decided to painted it a pale gray with white trim and replaced all the original windows with working double hungs with the added mullions. those took a while to build, but so worth the time and effort. and the louvered shutters will be painted black.  After more research, I opted out of the fishscale shingles and going with asphalt shingles I found in medium brown. 

Intense labor of love I tell ya!  :cucumber:

Still working on finishing up my 1:6 rehab. The little girls' birthday party is set for the 17th of this month, so it's getting down to the wire. Thankfully, after today I should have all of the flooring done, and the second floor should be done in regards to wall coverings. I did another first with this house in that it got a fabric wall covering for a feature wall, was a $2 fabric sample from way back when. Went on beautifully, and takes care of having her other favorite color(yellow) be featured. So far, my patterns and whatnot I've been putting together are different from what I normally would lean towards -- but I really like how they're all playing off of each other. Just really hoping she loves this house, as I've been advised while the outside is being painted pink to keep with the Barbie theme there is a good chance she'll have Monster High dolls and such playing in it as well. Trying to keep it classy so she can grow with it, but not too pink or too goth in any one area... Seems I'm walking a fine line, but am really liking the way it's turning out so far.

• Like 1

No minis today. Hubby bought a king wedding ring quilt at a flea market on our way back from warrensburg.   Good thing we didn't pay much.  spent the morning hand stitching all the little squares that have come apart from each other .  Everytime I thought I was done. ..   found another spot. Hopefully when he does the second wash there won't be more. ....yeah right.

Started laying stone on the basement of the San Franciscan but had to stop because I realised I needed to run wiring for the coach lights that flank the garage door. Almost went to far and had to remove it... I'll just have a bit more of a meandering wire run now... :D

Today, after chiseling out the wire runs I'll finish of the stone on the front of the basement and start planning the ceiling coverings for the basement rooms. I also need to create a cantilevered landing for the front stairs but it requires some mathematics to measure the opening of the new railings & newel post I plan to install so I need to think about it a bit.. maths is not my strong point! 

I really want to cut the new basement bathroom walls, but it's been raining for days here and I need to do that kind of work outside. I've papered the garage side of the basement so the garage door struts might get installed today. :)

I've installed most of the LED lights in the ceilings of the White House. I purchased more ceiling paper last month at The Toy Box  dollhouse shop so that has also been installed. This house has become the 'never ending' build. 

Thankfully got the remainder of paper and wall coverings in on the second floor of the 1:6 rehab. I also managed to get the first floor bay walls painted a slate blue to play off the accent colors of the tiles in the kitchen area. In addition if folks haven't gotten to look yet at pics uploaded, this house got a cord wood look wall treatment too. I'm really loving making these, but this was made with some help from the scroll saw. I'd had a sheet of matte board with the "logs" glued on for a previous build and then realized it wouldn't work where I had envisioned -- so again, while sitting on my shop floor gluing veneer for the first floor floor down spotted that on a shelf and though "Hey, I know where you may work now!" Sure enough after installing it, and getting pics uploaded to FB to see if I had mom's approval -- she tells me she absolutely loves it, and knows her daughter is going to go nuts b/c the house is starting to look so real. While I would have to disagree on that b/c the exterior is still not where I'd like it to be, I am glad that right now mom and dad are loving my decor choices for this rehab. Not to mention, I'm really looking forward to seeing the end result of what this little girl thinks of it. I was told tonight that mom is looking forward to her having a house like this, more realistic and not like the FP plastic houses she currently has that are fake with stickers.

Tomorrow, my goal is to finish installing the veneer on the first floor and figure out the last of my wall coverings on the third floor. I did thankfully get the veneer on the third floor stained which really helped to have the pattern show up. I'll be looking to do a light sand and then hopefully get that poly'd tomorrow. Then I hope to finish up my closet for this house. After that, all I have to do is work a miracle to make the exterior look good. lol

I finished wallpapering the playroom in the Chateau de Champlain and started on some exterior work. Back roof piece is attached and exterior window frames glued in. The nine pair of shutters I did paint "Heritage Brick" instead of navy. Then I painted and glued in 18 louver wands on the lower half.. As I was coming in our front door and looked at our shutters I realized I glued them so the louvers are facing up instead of down. They may just stay that way!!