What's everyone working on?

On Monday, April 03, 2017 8:11:55, jbnmini said:

Well Kelly- I am going to be right there with you on the spackling!  LOL  My new rehab project has TERRIBLE walls that will need every inch of them spackled smooth! 

The one great thing about this rehab- it features Timberbrook attic stairs! :D

IMG_2412.JPG

You know, I really don't like brick houses all that much, but I do like this one. Hmmmm.....*reconsidering brick exteriors*

On 4/4/2017, 11:02:50, sparklepuppies said:

The new shingles are still a little noticeable, but I'm hoping once it all dries it will be okay.

Don't fuss if they still look new when the stain dries. Maybe the little people had to do a roof repair. It happens. :(  It will only add to the realism.

Thanks Kathie. You're right. I haven't turned the house back around to see it all, but peeking around the corner it looks okay, nothing real drastic, and the back looks good. Of course I still know which ones they are, but it should be fine.

I'm pretty aggravated right now though. The rooms in this farmhouse are so big, that I'm finding the standard floors and a couple of the wallpapers I had planned on using don't fit. :( So now I'm back to rethinking everything. I might just go buy a coordinating paper pack at hobby lobby and be done with it.

Sorry y'all! I went and found my thinking cap and good attitude, and came up with a plan. I now have a sticky note in every room with floor, paper, special instructions, and order of installation. Yay!

The room with 3 1/2 walls and wallpaper is 2" too short for the 3 main walls... It will get complimentary paint on the wall you can only see from windows. And since I have to cut 3" off the height, I will be able to use 3 sections of that stacked up for the hard to see corner to cover the missing 2".

Flooring strips will be cut from veneer sheets. Attic sloped ceilings will get painted with coordinating paint. And yes, that fancy Victorian paper will look fine in a Victorian farmhouse!

Now time to get to work! Hooray!

Well, plans change, and that's okay, right?

I find myself completely intimidated by the Joseph Angel I'm working on.

I realized the FAO Schwarz house wasn't going to be what I wanted so I found it a new home.

I don't have the things I need to work on the 1:6 scale house I'm doing so....

I sort of accidentally got myself a Buttercup.

Buttercup003.jpg

It'll be a nice warm up to the Joseph Angel, I think. It's been a while since I worked on a house and the Buttercup is so quick and little and CUTE!

Time to dust off the paperclay.... it's been a while since I did that too.

Wish me luck! :)

- Wendy 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Griffonfeathers said:

Well, plans change, and that's okay, right?

I find myself completely intimidated by the Joseph Angel I'm working on.

I realized the FAO Schwarz house wasn't going to be what I wanted so I found it a new home.

I don't have the things I need to work on the 1:6 scale house I'm doing so....

I sort of accidentally got myself a Buttercup.

Buttercup003.jpg

It'll be a nice warm up to the Joseph Angel, I think. It's been a while since I worked on a house and the Buttercup is so quick and little and CUTE!

Time to dust off the paperclay.... it's been a while since I did that too.

Wish me luck! :)

- Wendy 

Ha ha! I totally get just needing a quick and relatively easy project so you can get to the good parts and enjoy it more quickly! The smaller in between projects are so rewarding!

I completely changed gears (again) and ug into the New Orleans kit yesterday. 

There's no going back now! At least I put the flower shops up on my computer hutch so I don't forget to work on them periodically, too!

I've got the first floor walls up for the dry fit, so now I'll make the kitchen cabint mock ups and settle on a layout. I need to cut a window hole above what where the sink will go...

Good luck, Wendy! And have a ton of fun!

Collage1.png

Collage2.png

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

Ha ha! I totally get just needing a quick and relatively easy project so you can get to the good parts and enjoy it more quickly! The smaller in between projects are so rewarding!

I completely changed gears (again) and ug into the New Orleans kit yesterday. 

There's no going back now! At least I put the flower shops up on my computer hutch so I don't forget to work on them periodically, too!

I've got the first floor walls up for the dry fit, so now I'll make the kitchen cabint mock ups and settle on a layout. I need to cut a window hole above what where the sink will go...

Good luck, Wendy! And have a ton of fun!

Collage1.png

Collage2.png

Oh wow! Go you!!! Good luck with the New Orleans! And I think that the little Buttercup is just what I need right now. Even if the Joseph Angel is completely dominating the living room right now. :)

Thank you for the encouragement! And you have fun too!! :cucumber:

- Wendy

• Like 1

Hello. Working on my Victorianna custom design store for my Thornhill. Last year I bought a box 3000 inlay banding shorts from inlays.com. Now, I'm going to cover the floors, ceilings and siding with banding. I'm hoping it will look like parquet designs. My latest experiment. It's my birthday weekend so I'll be playing all weekend on designing with inlays.

IMG_0129.JPG

Oh wow. That's a lot of inlays! Have fun!

Also, I had never heard of inlays.com before. Looking at their site, I'm not sure whether to thank you or not. This could be pricey. :)

Edited by Griffonfeathers
Inlays dot com!!! WOW!!!

34 minutes ago, Griffonfeathers said:

Oh wow. That's a lot of inlays! Have fun!

Also, I had never heard of inlays.com before. Looking at their site, I'm not sure whether to thank you or not. This could be pricey. :)

I ONLY buy on sale. The "shorts" are usually $20. Did I mention 3000 shorts?

Hello. Working on my Victorianna custom design store for my Thornhill. Last year I bought a box 3000 inlay banding shorts from inlays.com. Now, I'm going to cover the floors, ceilings and siding with banding. I'm hoping it will look like parquet designs. My latest experiment. It's my birthday weekend so I'll be playing all weekend on designing with inlays.

hi yall, just stopping n to say hey,

Ive been busy with the best kind of mini...a new granbaby...my daughter had a baby girl...and she is adorbs...

I got the room box kit done...all the little bits and ready to put it all together when I realise I have no way instructed to put the battery pack...I will attempt a duct tape pocket to hold it...the on and off switch and the opening for the batteries are not on same side so cant attach it to the side of box...but I have pretty duct tape so it should work...if I could squeeze in 30 mins of work I could finish it...

finally got the shop light for the niche...I have great hopes in getting it set up and ready for a project by sunday...

love all the wonderful things Im seeing...eyecandy always makes me happy:3rd:

editing this post is easier then doing a new one to add baby's name...Ophelia RosaLyn...7lbs...20 1/4in long

• Like 5

Happy Birthday, Pam! That's a lot of, um, inlays. Wow!

Congratulations Gramma Nutti! Do they have a name picked out yet (I only ask because I'm the kind that would call her "Hey Kid" for a couple years before I found the right name)?

Well, hallelujah! I finally got something done tonight. I painted the insides of all the Arthur's windows. I noticed that to keep them shabby looking, I only have to do one coat. I'm really loving this shabby thing. I didn't paint the outsides because I forgot I didn't pick a color for them yet. Small senior moment. I also spackled the staircase that's going in the Arthur. Oh, did I ever spackle. Tomorrow I'm going to sand the staircase and paint it, although it beats the life out of me why. There's so much spackle on it, it's already white.

I also *pats self on back* finally went out and bought stain, varnish, and paint today at the hardware store. The guy there seemed to be under the impression that I was painting a real house, even though I told him about 20 times I was painting a dollhouse. He kept giving me gallons and I kept putting them back and pulling out little cans, at which point he'd say, "You're going to run out, you know. That's not enough!" Ah, the joys of miniatures.

So hopefully in the next couple of days I can also finish the trim for the shadowbox.

Congratulations Grandma Nutti!  I am going to be a grandma in early June, so I understand being "sidetracked" from minis for a while.  :D

As for me and my new brick Colonial rehab.....  welp, it drew first blood already and I haven't even revved up the sander yet!  LOL  Nothing serious- just ran my hand across the wall and my little finger "found" an electrical brad that I had overlooked.  My DH was quick to make sure that I didn't break the Nelwood First Commandment: No Blood on the Wood!  LOL  

Anywho- back to sanding and spackling walls.....

• Like 1

Inlays.com....that could be dangerous!

Congratulations on the new grand baby.

I love hearing what you all are working on. I'm putting siding on the Laurel, and needing to add a few windows. The stupid Dremel intimidates me, so I've been procrastinating. I need to just bite the bullet and do it.

@ Kelly When I was buying the paint for the Laurel and the salesman asked what kind of paint, I said it didn't matter. Then he said "what are you working on?". I did feel sorta silly saying a dollhouse until I noticed he was wearing three huge silver skullhead rings on his fingers. To each his own. LOL!

Happy Friday everyone! Congrats to Kelly and Nutti on their simultaneous but contrasting fortunes! New baby girl and dollhouse victories! Happy birthday to Pam and all of the April babies, too! 

Jackie I had to laugh, not at your pain but at your priority! I have been known to reach for the masking tape to quickly cover and seal up a bleeding finger. I need to complete the task at hand and can worry about the blood loss later!

Carrie I am sure you will soon be a Dremel Master! It took me a couple of years, believe it or not, until I really understood how all of the parts and attachments worked together. Now my poor husband hardly gets asked for help and I think it makes him sad.

Hope you all have a fun and mini productive weekend!

Congrats Nutti!

And Ouch! Jackie!

Yesterday and today I got 3 rooms of floors done, 2 of those being individual strips. I also got one room papered. Moving right along! Spring break is over now though, back to work on Monday. 3 more weeks until the auction.

After reading KathiB's recommendations for joint compound I got a tub when I had to replace my last tub of spackle I used up on the farmhouse.  I began the skim coat on Brimble's exterior yesterday.  I have been stitching a couple of contemporary design rugs I based on some Furnish 123 that I'll stock in the store until I use them in other builds, as I try to noodle through the kit instructions.  This one is providing some interesting challenges as I deal with the changes it wants.

• Like 1

I'm working on an old RGB Mountain View Cottage kit that I got for Christmas. (Yes, I found it on ebay and sent my husband the link as a "hint.") This is my very first dollhouse and I totally love working on it! Right now I'm shingling the gazebo roof panels. I can't wait to get those up! The kit came with a chimney that's just a block of wood. In the kit pictures, it shows it painted. I feel like I should brick it but I'm not quite sure how to do that. Are there teeny tiny bricks out there to buy for such a small space or should I use sheets of bricks like I've seen for exteriors? Or am I better off just painting it dark brown to match the shutters and being done with it?! Just found this site earlier in the week and I've really enjoyed reading posts. :-)

mountain view cottage 1.jpg

I got sidetracked today :p and made this:

doll crib blanket.JPG                                                                                                               It's a "mini" of a different scale... baby doll scale!  :)  I am fixing up an old doll crib for my soon-to-be granddaughter and thought it needed a new blanket and pillow case.

39 minutes ago, MaryBethD said:

...I should brick it but I'm not quite sure how to do that. Are there teeny tiny bricks out there to buy for such a small space or should I use sheets of bricks like I've seen for exteriors?...

Mary Beth,, ever since I read the idea in Beryl Armstrong's How to Make Your Dolls' House Special I have been a major fan of using sandpaper for bricks in mini:

56f06074ae838-brickplasterdetail.JPG

44 minutes ago, MaryBethD said:

I'm working on an old RGB Mountain View Cottage kit that I got for Christmas. (Yes, I found it on ebay and sent my husband the link as a "hint.") This is my very first dollhouse and I totally love working on it! Right now I'm shingling the gazebo roof panels. I can't wait to get those up! The kit came with a chimney that's just a block of wood. In the kit pictures, it shows it painted. I feel like I should brick it but I'm not quite sure how to do that. Are there teeny tiny bricks out there to buy for such a small space or should I use sheets of bricks like I've seen for exteriors? Or am I better off just painting it dark brown to match the shutters and being done with it?! Just found this site earlier in the week and I've really enjoyed reading posts. :-)

mountain view cottage 1.jpg

I think the brick detail would be a nice touch. There are mini bricks out there, but the faux approach Holly suggested would be easier. Some people use air dry clay. Snoop around the internet a see the different ways people have done it.

Welcome to the forum, that house is adorable.

3 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

I think the brick detail would be a nice touch. There are mini bricks out there, but the faux approach Holly suggested would be easier. Some people use air dry clay. Snoop around the internet a see the different ways people have done it.

Welcome to the forum, that house is adorable.

Thanks! :-)