What's everyone working on?

On 2017-03-27 16:59:34, Anna said:

I want to find a simpel yet dainty looking white chandelier, but is there anyone out there on the market? Nope! I have a general Idea of what I want, and were Wondering if anyone here has Painted a  chandelier base with a good outcome? There is onethat comes in black that might work, but then again it includes painting the chain and everything and not get the paint into the light sockets...

<muttering> 

Hugs

I got an Idea on how to actually try and make this myself, ordered an itty bitti thingie from EBay and Will have to see how that works out. Will share when it arrives. Yay, Happy dance as it means I am not needing to pay an arm and a leg for something I wanted to shabby up a bit....

hugs

• Like 2

So last weekend I decided to finish/rehab the Victoria's Farmhouse I've had hanging around for about 8 years and donate it to the school auction. There's always so much more that needs to be done than you anticipate. But I got started on it pretty good this week. The inside is painted, foundation painted, and the damaged shingles and roof trim removed. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find roof trim the same size as the existing trim, so I haven't figured out what I will do about that yet. Removing the trim pretty much damages or removes the shingles it is attached to, so I'd rather not have to remove and replace all of it.

We are on spring break this week (yay!) so I hope to make some good progress on it. My deadline is in just under 4 weeks. I have most of the wallpaper and some flooring already, just making those final decisions. Since the house was already built, it's going to be challenging to wallpaper around the stairs and windows. Ugh.

• Like 1

Big day at the Beacon Hill construction site today.  First of all my husband gave me a Dremel with 8 million attachments for my birthday so yay me!  

If you saw my introduction post you will have seen that the exterior of the Craigslist find Beacon Hill was Pepto Bismol pink and painter's tape blue.  I slapped on some white paint to cover the pink and blue so I didn't have to look at it anymore.  It will still need a serious paint job but for now at least it is palatable.

And then I went and knocked out the first floor staircase!  :eek:  I had already removed the dog-leg wall between the living room and the foyer/dining area to open things up and the staircase just bugged the heck out of me.  My plan is to move the interior kitchen wall out 2 inches (or 2 feet, if you will) and run a straight staircase up to the second floor.  This means I'll move the doorway to the kitchen closer to the opening of the house.   The layout will mimic the staircase going from the second floor to the attic.

Crude picture illustrating what I mean:

20170401992011902_resized.jpg

• Like 3

Andrea I like your plans for the Beacon and am looking forward to seeing it take shape. White sounds much more East on the eye campares to the Pepto shade it had before! 

As for me, been staining, staining and more staining in between taking each and every itty bitty piece out from its place in the flooring. So last pic of this, promise, for a long while as it Now Will need to dry thoroughly prior to a coat of matte varnish. This means I can concentrate on the fence going around the exterior. Fun! Still have some details to and to the exterior of the house, and I am Trying to decide on how to finish the halfway stone part as well as how to frame the oval window part. 

large.IMG_0322.JPG.56fb3258176ca56bb5ed7

• Like 3

Thank you! It is a LOT of fun doing something that evolves at each twist and turn... I really enjoy the process and am also one who zones out when shingling etc so this is really energy giver...

it is Now varnished and I have glued in the fence posts and started on the bottom part of the fencing.

hugs

1 hour ago, L Swearengin said:

I found some adorable stacking pottery yesterday, they look great in the restaurant.   Tacky wax is my friend today.  Again...pinterest. "sneak peek mexican restaurant".  (Yep changed the name again)

It's looking awesome! You've gotten so much done already!

• Like 1

Tomorrow I go back to the plastic surgeon to have a wound check. The basal cell on my nose ended up being pretty extensive and needed another round of MOHs surgery which was done last week. so I have a few months of reconstruction in front of me. So after my mini club meeting on Wednesday night , which I still may not go to, I am heading up to our vacation property with all of my tools and will spend  the month of April there and hopefully finish the White House. It's been a year since I started it and life keeps getting in the way. I figure I can just hide out up there while I wait for the next surgery.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sable said:

Tomorrow I go back to the plastic surgeon to have a wound check. The basal cell on my nose ended up being pretty extensive and needed another round of MOHs surgery which was done last week. so I have a few months of reconstruction in front of me. So after my mini club meeting on Wednesday night , which I still may not go to, I am heading up to our vacation property with all of my tools and will spend  the month of April there and hopefully finish the White House. It's been a year since I started it and life keeps getting in the way. I figure I can just hide out up there while I wait for the next surgery.  

Oh, Sable, I'm sorry you feel a need to hide out, but if you can work on the White House, that's a plus. Here's hoping the coming surgeries don't hold any unwelcome surprises. 

2 hours ago, Sable said:

Dear Sable, I hope your time at the vacation house allows you to get completely immersed in the mini zone. Set the worry aside as much as you can and believe in the good things in front of you today. Tomorrow will work itself out and you'll face that when it comes. Keep in touch if you are able - I'll be thinking about you.

Whoa, Sable, that sounds like a lot to go through. I hope everything goes well, though. I'm keeping you in my thoughts.

And remember when I said I knew the cut on my leg was healing because it was already itching? That itching wasn't healing. It was an allergic reaction! I finally took the the little butterfly stitches off Saturday afternoon and was in to Urgent Care on Sunday. I had 4 rows of red, raised skin where each of those steristrips went and blisters at each end of all of them. The cut will be healed before the steristrip marks heal. Sheesh!

So I'm going to work on the staircase I'm putting in the Arthur again and I'm being a little bit more careful. Then I have to spackle it. I swear, I never thought I'd have to spackle a staircase!

Oh, my sainted aunt! After all that cutting and filling in and regluing, I finally pulled the whole railing off the staircase. The staircase that's going into the Arthur is the one from the Willowcrest and its balusters are on the side of the staircase, not on the steps. I had already modified them, didn't like what I did, tried to change them again, and then decided to just pull all the sides off.

I gotta hand it to Greenleaf - that had to have taken some figuring to put those stairs together. And of course, I wish like heck now that I had just let the stairs alone. Did I say I was going to be doing some spackling? I'll be doing a TON of spackling!

Well Kelly- I am going to be right there with you on the spackling!  LOL  My new rehab project has TERRIBLE walls that will need every inch of them spackled smooth! 

The one great thing about this rehab- it features Timberbrook attic stairs! :D

IMG_2412.JPG

I've spent a lot of time staring, and not a lot of doing the last couple days. But tonight I finally got the roof all fixed and finished on the Victoria's Farmhouse rehab! I ended up replacing a lot more shingles than I anticipated (thanks to Donna who sent me several extra shingles!!) which really wasn't hard once I figured out the trick. Ans I found the size trim a I needed and got that replaced. Then covered it all with a fresh coat of stain. The new shingles are still a little noticeable, but I'm hoping once it all dries it will be okay.

Tomorrow I really need to start working on the inside. I still don't have all my decisions made for floor and walls, but I'm going to start running out of of time.

But having the roof done is huge.

Meh, feeling a bit down about the San Fran today.. I couldn't get anything I did to go my way and I feel like I'm getting nowhere fast... lol.... All my ideas are in flux and my craft room is a disaster... oh, and I've ran out of spray paint and reaaaallly don't feel like a trip to the store.. wha wha wha.. :cry: what a cry baby I am! :D

I just feel like I've wasted the day and my work schedule is such that I have to make every post a winner on a designated craft day.. which only come around about once every 8 days.... oh well... there is always next week.

Oh and one more thing... postage to Australia takes sooooo long!!!!... I've been waiting for a shipment from HBS for over 3 weeks and one from China for over a month... ?!?!?!? so frustrating! 

Ok rant over.. :D

54 minutes ago, Samusa said:

Meh, feeling a bit down about the San Fran today.. I couldn't get anything I did to go my way and I feel like I'm getting nowhere fast... lol.... All my ideas are in flux and my craft room is a disaster... oh, and I've ran out of spray paint and reaaaallly don't feel like a trip to the store.. wha wha wha.. :cry: what a cry baby I am! :D

I just feel like I've wasted the day and my work schedule is such that I have to make every post a winner on a designated craft day.. which only come around about once every 8 days.... oh well... there is always next week.

Oh and one more thing... postage to Australia takes sooooo long!!!!... I've been waiting for a shipment from HBS for over 3 weeks and one from China for over a month... ?!?!?!? so frustrating! 

Ok rant over.. :D

I'm not gonna say anything cliche like "sometimes the universe blocks our progress on purpose until the synchronicities fall into place, so trust that you're exactly where and when you're supposed to be on the project. Just take a day to reflect on all of the wonderful things you have to be grateful for and before you know it both the packages and your creative flow will burst forth to you".

Instead I'll just send virtual hugs and say " I know how you feel, pal. Hang in there".

28 minutes ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

I'm not gonna say anything cliche like "sometimes the universe blocks our progress on purpose until the synchronicities fall into place, so trust that you're exactly where and when you're supposed to be on the project. Just take a day to reflect on all of the wonderful things you have to be grateful for and before you know it both the packages and your creative flow will burst forth to you".

Instead I'll just send virtual hugs and say " I know how you feel, pal. Hang in there".

:) Thanks Jodi... I just needed to get my frustration off my chest... I feel much better now.. I did manage to drag myself up to the hardware store to buy paint so if my packages don't show up, my next craft day can be spent spray-painting everything. Boring but productive. :D

I also "wasted" a fair bit of time on pinterest today and I think I'm modifying my interior theme on the San Fran to "Slightly Shabby Gustavian". 

On 4/2/2017, 5:07:15, AndreaJane said:

Big day at the Beacon Hill construction site today.  First of all my husband gave me a Dremel with 8 million attachments for my birthday so yay me!  

If you saw my introduction post you will have seen that the exterior of the Craigslist find Beacon Hill was Pepto Bismol pink and painter's tape blue.  I slapped on some white paint to cover the pink and blue so I didn't have to look at it anymore.  It will still need a serious paint job but for now at least it is palatable.

And then I went and knocked out the first floor staircase!  :eek:  I had already removed the dog-leg wall between the living room and the foyer/dining area to open things up and the staircase just bugged the heck out of me.  My plan is to move the interior kitchen wall out 2 inches (or 2 feet, if you will) and run a straight staircase up to the second floor.  This means I'll move the doorway to the kitchen closer to the opening of the house.   The layout will mimic the staircase going from the second floor to the attic.

Crude picture illustrating what I mean:

20170401992011902_resized.jpg

Andrea - I love the extra large living room and attic! I'm considering the Beacon Hill for my next build and am currently researching what different people have done with it. Some of the rooms are at little pokey. Love what you're doing with it!

8 hours ago, sparklepuppies said:

...The new shingles are still a little noticeable, but I'm hoping once it all dries it will be okay...

If not, go over all the roof with a wash of really dilute dark gray or brown and see how that looks (experimenting first on an unobtrusive spot).

The SF has the goid cedar shingles....mine dud anyway, I just painted them to get the new and old to match.  The thinner shingles won't work that way they warp really bad.  As I said somewhere else, I used green because of "rehab addict ".  I liked the look on an all white house.

I have thought several times about making these shingles green (I've had the house at least 7 years). There is a house on the main street that my subdivision and the school are on, that is the same color scheme as this one. Yellow with white and burgundy trim, and then green roof.

• Like 1