What's everyone working on?

5 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Slap me with a wet noodle. When I first read Linda's question, my addled brain read Mini-hold wax instead of Minwax stain. I'd rather chalk it up to a lack of caffeine than an indication of an impending trip to lala land. 

Starting the day without caffeine at our age is a prescription for disaster!

I've finished gluing the shingles on the upper story of the Beacon Hill. The tower cap is telling me it doesn't want shingles. Would it look strange if I cover it with a copper roof? The argument I am having with the tower cap and pictures on my blog, here. Opinions welcome!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KathieB said:

I've finished gluing the shingles on the upper story of the Beacon Hill. The tower cap is telling me it doesn't want shingles. Would it look strange if I cover it with a copper roof? The argument I am having with the tower cap and pictures on my blog, here. Opinions welcome!

Love to see how it comes together Kathie, for me a copper roof would definitley work well, some verdis gris to that as well.

looking forward to seeing more of it!

hugs

2 hours ago, KathieB said:

I agree... I I think a copper roof would look fantastic.

Our parliament building in Queensland has a copper roof that is slowly turning green (it was replaced in the 80s)... I've always loved it. :D

Image result for queensland parliament house copper roof

But I particularly love a copper roof gone green, like the Brisbane customs house below.

Image result for queensland parliament house copper roof

Either way I think it would look great!

Well, I certainly didn't get much done today. A couple weeks ago I spackled the Arthur. Today I sanded all the spackle down and had plans to prime it. But first, I wanted to glue my interior walls in. Upstairs wall, no problem, except I couldn't decide what bathtub will go in there and the length of the bathtub determines the width of the bathroom. OK, I'll glue that wall in next week.

Then I went to glue in the downstairs wall. To my surprise, I found the wall was short about an inch. I had forgotten I had raised the ceiling but had never raised the interior wall.

Anyway, I added that inch onto the wall and brought it home so I can spackle it this week and I'll glue that wall in next week, too. I'm also going to bring along a tub to see if that will fit in the bathroom. I brought the stairs home to work on as well. I also want to cut a bunch of bricks from egg cartons for the Glencroft and redo the interior fireplaces.

So, not much done today, but a lot to work on this week. And without a bazillion doctor appointments this week (unlike last week), I might actually find time to do stuff.

It was kind of a bust for me, too. I got the floor of the art studio done, and glued the shell together, but that's been about it. Maybe will have time to sand some spackle before bed. No work on the yellow house today, and tomorrow isn't looking good, either. Maybe I can at least get a few templates made for the ceilings?

3 hours ago, KathieB said:

I painted both tower roofs on my Fairfields copper, not wanting to fight the fight of the shingles.  I think it would look elegant on your BH.

I have been playing with frames for awnings of two of Brimble's windows.

• Like 1

Okay, I've ordered the copper foil. Now I'm thinking about the colors for the shingles and the siding for the Beacon Hill. Updated pictures here.

I Hope the dear Doctor Will be Happy with these colour choices, Think it Will suit and complement the copper too, especially when the patina of Verdi gris sts in as time goes by.

hugs

1 minute ago, Anna said:

I Hope the dear Doctor Will be Happy with these colour choices, Think it Will suit and complement the copper too, especially when the patina of Verdi gris sts in as time goes by.

I googled copper patina ... am looking forward to aging it and also aging the shingles and siding. In New Orleans, there is an abundance of moss, mold and other effects of aging. Even well kept homes show the signs.

I googled copper patina ... am looking forward to aging it and also aging the shingles and siding. In New Orleans, there is an abundance of moss, mold and other effects of aging. Even well kept homes show the signs.

It Will be so much fun seeing it come together. I have been on a copper binge latley as it seems... started with the lighthouse roof and went fr.o.m. there. 

Hugs

3 hours ago, KathieB said:

Okay, I've ordered the copper foil. Now I'm thinking about the colors for the shingles and the siding for the Beacon Hill. Updated pictures here.

Love the little guy poking his head out the window. :D

He looks like the architect checking on progress... with his plans in hand.. haha

28 minutes ago, Samusa said:

Love the little guy poking his head out the window. :D

He looks like the architect checking on progress... with his plans in hand.. haha

I believe that's the good doctor, checking on progress...

Kathie - I do like the black trim - nice contrast to the shingles, and will be very complimentary with the copper roof. Waiting to see progress on that next!

I papered the hall, and looking at it later, it has some bumps in it. I think some is over tapewire, but it's pronounced due to the weight of the paper. I think I'm going to yank it off and try a different paper. :(

I also have been playing with the ceiling lights for the first floor. I am finally using a Cir-Kit expensive chandelier I snagged at half price in the dining room and a chandelier by Lumenations by Mr. K in the hall. Not yet settled on Living room or study. 

And I decided against resurrecting my own hand made hex tiles for the kitchen, instead choosing tiles from Romney Miniatures. I'm very pleased with the look of those so far, I just opened that box today -  very reasonable price and the right look!

large.foyer_light_paper.jpg.b40a5dcb13f8     large.c20170103_163926.jpg.16afcb9a171e5 

large.Kit_terra_cotta.jpg.bcbdb0f7d3f9ad

I bought the Tamarack kit and I'm going to use the basic house for the basement to Bramble. I had a question: the base of the house isn't attached yet, so the bottom is sitting flat. Since the basement is the base of my house, does anyone think there's going to be a problem with leaving it sitting flat? The cabinet top it's on is straight and not warped.

5 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

I bought the Tamarack kit and I'm going to use the basic house for the basement to Bramble. I had a question: the base of the house isn't attached yet, so the bottom is sitting flat. Since the basement is the base of my house, does anyone think there's going to be a problem with leaving it sitting flat? The cabinet top it's on is straight and not warped.

I don't see a problem. My Marie Laveau Cottage is on a wooden tray base with a flat bottom. I put sticky felt padding on it (similar to that used for chair & table legs so they slide on a smooth surface; it may have been a piece of carpet, the kind that comes in adhesive-backed squares). It protects the cabinet top from scratching and slides smoothly when I want to turn it around. 

Nice work everyone! Heidi, sorry about the paper...but that chandelier looks lovely!

I'm stuck on the yellow house. Two or so weeks of doing absolutely nothing. Well, nothing to the house, I have been gluing up some Chrysnbon kits, but even those aren't finished. I want to make some decisions about the walls before the I finish the furniture, but...I'm just stuck. Stuck at that point where I can't seem to make a decision, and afraid to make any decision at all. This is the point of new kinds of flooring, templates, building false walls, etc. All new skills and materials, and suddenly, I've lost my mojo. Maybe today I can work up to cutting some ceiling templates? I hate that suddenly I'm chickening out, after all of these months of work to get to this point.

The art studio is flying along. I did have a glitch with some window trim, but made a decision to change the interior, so will move ahead with that. I need to sand and recoat the trims, get them installed before much else can happen. I'm installing the door and windows before I do the exterior shingled siding. Oh, and shingles...they were rougher than I thought, so spent some time yesterday filing the edges. That is a chore that may be abandoned soon.  

Bah! Maybe I should work on the barn?

"Stuck at that point where I can't seem to make a decision, and afraid to make any decision at all. "

Linda, I hear that and know that frustration well. I have through this at various times with each dollhouse, at varying degrees. I had a hard time getting started with the French Country especially when realizing how big the rooms are, ceiling height, when looking at limitations of wallpaper heights, flooring sheets, etc. 

Its sometimes hard to commit to a choice, but i think I overthink so much. I'm having that problem with the hall, that paper wasn't my first choice, and I know i can rip it out if it doesn't work. Seems thats what I'm gonna do! My MO when things aren't coming together is to do more internet research,  often producing more overload.

• Like 1

Yes! It's been so great reading all of the emailed posts and seeing everyone's progress! Now that flu and postponed family gatherings are just about wrapped up I will have time again to jump back in to comment.

Linda - what if you printed plain paper samples of the wall coverings and flooring that you are considering? Then you can put them against the walls/floors and get a better idea of how they look in the space before having to really commit? It could be a fun activity, too!

Whatever you decide I know it will be beautiful! That house did not find you, get lovingly restored and repeatedly primed and painted for nothing. You were meant to do this and all will work out just as you've dreamed!

• Like 1

Heidi I think that your instincts are spot on - if it isn't perfect and it bothers you even a little, keep doing it over until it is perfect. I have said "to heck with it" in the past and still regret it.

Have you considered using scrapbook paper instead of wallpaper? It is 12x12 and if you are doing paneled walls it can be a great solution. Oh, and... the lighting choices are going to look stunning! Have fun!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KathieB said:

I don't see a problem. My Marie Laveau Cottage is on a wooden tray base with a flat bottom. I put sticky felt padding on it (similar to that used for chair & table legs so they slide on a smooth surface; it may have been a piece of carpet, the kind that comes in adhesive-backed squares). It protects the cabinet top from scratching and slides smoothly when I want to turn it around. 

Thank you, I hadn't considered that. I may do that when I take the basement out to work on it.

Now that I've got a basement, I need stairs on the entry side of the house to get down to it. That means raising the porch (since the door is now hanging 9" high in the air) and then enclosing part of it for the staircase down to the lower room. I think I have the solution,but it will take a little thinking to hash it out.

Heidi, that paper is fabulous, and goes perfectly with your floor!

Jodi, thank you! That was a very nice thing to say, and I needed to hear it.

Still no work on the yellow house today, but made some progress on the art studio. I'm adding some architecture, and while waiting for paint to dry, came across a new solution for the window trim that I think I'll be happy with.    

• Like 1