What's everyone working on?

2 hours ago, Sable said:

Where did you get the nice shiney hearth from?

That is a piece of marble I snagged at the Chicago International Show, there is a woman from Europe who sells them, and I just can't resist buying them! I have one more, a little narrower, in the beiges, and I think I have a round one too. 

Linda - I took a peak at the House Formerly Known as The Yellow House....looking really great! I know its been lots of work, but it sure looks like that effort is paying off. As for the wood sheets being different colors, perhaps you might consider cutting them into squares, and doing a mixed parquet? 

Has anyone used this flooring and stained it? My main wood floors will be cherry stain, and for this study, if I keep this flooring, it might be better to tone it down, making the light squares more like the 'walnut' strips in a walnut stain...thoughts? 

large.Study_floor.jpg.0ad918cdc056137ec4

• Like 1

Well, the winter house is nearly done.  It snowed in my craft room.   It's going to take me a year to clean up that mess.  LOL.  Next time I'll wait until summer to try that again.  I haven't been able to post pictures here for over a year.  You can see them on pinterest.  It's under "another house....orchid"

Have been under the weather with what I thought was just a bad could, showed itself to turn into a bit of pneuomina which I Now am on antibiotics for and slowly coughing less and breathing easier. Still get out of breathing talong the trash out so am staying indoors :) been Playing with small bits and pieces for the steampunk stove I starten a loooong time ago and I Think it is almost Done Now. large.IMG_0045.JPG.660f03b52393570cb5e80

• Like 3

Anna, I love your stove!  It looks like a scratch-build, too.  I'm sorry to hear about the pneumonia; I had it three times when we lived in Jacksonville, FL; we had three different weather systems that converged there that my doctor thought contributed to it. Since leaving I haven't had any more, plus our new doctor in Tallahassee gave me the pneumonia vaccine.

Heidi- thanks so much! It's been a lot of work, but worth it. I think for that flooring I'll go back to the first plan, which is to just make it myself with veneer strips, and I'll save those sheets for another build. I was trying to lay out the sheets with the flooring template, and I think even if they matched, it would be a bit of a mess.  

Anna-wow! Very cool stove!

Lawanda-why can't you upload pictures? That snowy roof looks amazing!

2 hours ago, Anna said:

Have been under the weather with what I thought was just a bad could, showed itself to turn into a bit of pneuomina which I Now am on antibiotics for and slowly coughing less and breathing easier. Still get out of breathing talong the trash out so am staying indoors :) been Playing with small bits and pieces for the steampunk stove I starten a loooong time ago and I Think it is almost Done Now. 

Anna, the stove is looking convincingly steampunkish. Sorry to hear you've been under the weather. Pneumonia is nothing to fool around with. 

12 hours ago, miniaddicted said:

Has anyone used this flooring and stained it? My main wood floors will be cherry stain, and for this study, if I keep this flooring, it might be better to tone it down, making the light squares more like the 'walnut' strips in a walnut stain...thoughts? 

Heidi, I'd try a bit of a light stain on this beautiful floor  (maybe Provincial by Minwax?) that would tone down the lighter blocks but not deepen the darker strips too much. Do you have scraps to do a test? Or can you test in an area you know will be covered by a rug or furniture?

2 hours ago, Anna said:

Oops. Don't know how this got here but I can't get rid of it.

Anna- I do hope that you will be feeling better very soon!  (love the stove, BTW!)

As for me- I am finishing up "Sarah's House"- a donation to my cousin's autistic daughter.  The house is now sporting purple paint with pink shutters!  Put up the crown mouldings and baseboards (just used flat strip wood since it is just a basic 'play house').  Last nite I began working on some bedding for the family.  I am a terrible seamstress, but hopefully Sarah won't mind my feeble attempts at making cute pillows and blankets.  :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Debsrand56 said:

Anna--  Can't believe I missed this stove when you posted it.  It is superb!  Love all the steampunk elements, including the coils.  Hope you are feeling better.

Thank you, been beating the body with un-necessarities, ie going to work for things that I am supposed to deliver and it sure prolongs recovery, but then again as a principal and we have an opening of New venues (ie a New house for the students) not being there giving a speech isn't ideal so Went there today, and am Now running a fever again so have atleast cncelled the rest of the weeks meetings and am going to stay home...

as for the coils, I simply loooove doing them, I have the brass materials as well as the copper one and I am looking for more places to put coils in  just for the fun of turning them :) weird? Yes, that is me...

hugs

• Like 1

Tonight I dug out the shingles for the Beacon Hill and, inspired by Matt's recent photo of the shingled gable, put a mix of 1:12 and 1:24 shingles on the hard-to-reach mansard bit that goes beside the tower. I've painted the mansard roof pieces black and will be painting the shingles black and gray. Not sure yet whether it will be a light strip of 1:24 shingles across the middle or if they will be dark. The problem now is that all of the other parts of the roof have window openings, so I need to dig out the window parts so as to be able to mark where the shingles should not go before I start gluing them on. It feels good to have glue on my fingers again. :) 

• Like 2

I am happy to report that I have finally finished my granddaughter's little house - the Lisa's Country Cottage by Houseworks. There was lot of detail work, of course, but it is finished and shipped. Pictures are in my gallery. Since the latest upgrade I can't see how to insert pictures like you all are doing. I have opened GL in another window so I could find a picture and copy the link to it. Hope that works using the "insert other media" feature. Seems like a ridiculous amount of work just to show a picture.  That didn't work, but the link button at the top let me insert this:   http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=126667&browse=1

• Like 1

Claudia, when I want to insert one of my album pictures into a post I open it in another window, right click on the picture and click "copy" in the drop down menu, then I right click my post where I want the photo and click "paste" and there it is.

So please give some opinions regarding the possible roofing för My steampunk build. The roofing strips are only painted onceand Will probably get some patina added , just wanted some second opinions as me and My fever Voices are sort of talking to themselves :ermm:

large.IMG_0030.JPG.a9685bc4a96ff92390378large.IMG_0029.JPG.de6101a81b6da6ce54af0

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Anna said:

So please give some opinions regarding the possible roofing för My steampunk build. The roofing strips are only painted onceand Will probably get some patina added , just wanted some second opinions as me and My fever Voices are sort of talking to themselves :ermm: 

I like the ripple effect and the variety of colors. Hope your fever doesn't last too long.

Thank you everyone! The roof stays then, been  gluing it down today as well as playing with an Idea för the  chimney (cheap plastic funnel) that still needs some "bling". This is so much fun, especially whenoneis slightly "off" so to speak...large.IMG_0036.JPG.8cf319827b3078f7743f2

Anna, that roof is just so neat!

Finally got all of the studio parts stained and sanded to suit me, so will distress the floor today and hopefully get it all glued together. I hope to find the time to start cutting out flooring for the yellow house. There will be three rooms with a custom (=long and difficult) floor, so I want to do the easy floors first to get motivated.

I've read here that some people use Minwax stain to stain the Chrysnbon pieces. How? Just brush it on and wipe it off, then let it dry? It doesn't stay sticky? The plastic doesn't get weird?

23 minutes ago, stickyfingers said:

...I've read here that some people use Minwax stain to stain the Chrysnbon pieces. How? Just brush it on and wipe it off, then let it dry? It doesn't stay sticky? The plastic doesn't get weird?

I wipe it on with an old soft rag and let it dry; it takes a couple of days:

new kitchen rug: finished & in place

13 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I wipe it on with an old soft rag and let it dry; it takes a couple of days:

42 minutes ago, stickyfingers said:

I've read here that some people use Minwax stain to stain the Chrysnbon pieces. How? Just brush it on and wipe it off, then let it dry? It doesn't stay sticky? The plastic doesn't get weird?

Stain? It changes the color? Or is this a finish?

I found that the stain brings out the "grain" in the Chrysnbon "wood" pieces.  Next time y'all visit, take a look at the Hoosier cabinet in Maggie's kitchen, the sink in the White Orchid and the icebox in the pub.  The first time I used stain on Chrysnbon (it wasn't Minwax) I was staining the Chrysnbon curved front dish cupboard to match the dining table & chairs I made up from HoM kits.

24 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I found that the stain brings out the "grain" in the Chrysnbon "wood" pieces.  Next time y'all visit, take a look at the Hoosier cabinet in Maggie's kitchen, the sink in the White Orchid and the icebox in the pub.  The first time I used stain on Chrysnbon (it wasn't Minwax) I was staining the Chrysnbon curved front dish cupboard to match the dining table & chairs I made up from HoM kits.

Slap me with a wet noodle. When I first read Linda's question, my addled brain read Mini-hold wax instead of Minwax stain. I'd rather chalk it up to a lack of caffeine than an indication of an impending trip to lala land.