What's everyone working on?

53 minutes ago, stickyfingers said:

Heidi, that's an amazing house, and I think you're doing a great job!

Furniture kits came yesterday! Hooray! It was supposed to be a bits and pieces incomplete lot, but what I got was three kits that are 99.9% complete, and a duplicate complete kit! Whoop! I got everything sorted and inventoried yesterday, now I just have to pick something to work on. House kit should get here today.

I'm so glad you got your furniture, and that so much of it was complete. You should have a really fun weekend with all that new stuff, plus a new house!

Kathi, wasn't that a great surprise? I'm planning to make most of the furniture for the Franklin, so I've been snatching up kits. That lot was a bit of a gamble, but one of the neat things about the Realife kits, is they have a pattern sheet, so unless it's an oddly shaped piece, you can easily make a new one if something is missing.

That house kit was an impulse buy...I'm not ashamed. It will go in the stash for a future build. Or it may need to be dry fitted...it's supposed to rain all weekend, so no telling what I may do.

Making progress on the barn...glued in moulding and beams this morning, and getting ready to prime roof pieces.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, stickyfingers said:

Oh, and about that barn...I've added a foundation, but haven't decided how to finish it. I was going to do a gray grout/stucco kind of texture, but now I'm kind of thinking about stone or brick, especially large rough cut bricks or stone blocks. Any opinions?

If you have access to a stone cutting saw, look at HD or Lowes for kitchen backsplash tile in small stone. Adds weight though.

2 hours ago, stickyfingers said:

Oh, and about that barn...I've added a foundation, but haven't decided how to finish it. I was going to do a gray grout/stucco kind of texture, but now I'm kind of thinking about stone or brick, especially large rough cut bricks or stone blocks. Any opinions?

Spackle, and "carve" what you want into the wet spackle with a toothpick, or pop it with an old credit card for texture. Doesn't add much weight at all.

Glued the landing (stained) on Brimble's stair carcase (painted) and still trying to put leaves on that !!#***@!! tree...

• Like 1

got the grans...but Im still working away...today I have my downstairs support to work on....and while Im waiting for glue to dry I will also make some progress on the downstairs floor as well!

besides the floor and making an upstairs sales counter I have no color plans...I should have grabbed a swatch of the material from Deb....cuz just not sure in what direction I should go and that goes for the stained glass upstairs windows....but it wont hold me back with so many other details downstairs to complete before the store can get back together....I also decided to forget sanding the texture...I will sponge it with terracotta and call it good....less details to draw attention to when viewing the store goods...

maybe by tomorrow night I will have it ready for a dry fit...lol...

Edna is being extra sweet to Dave....he is highly suspicious....after all these yrs he knows when he is being buttered up!!!:peace: 

We went out to buy groceries, passed a quilt show along the way.  I did get the bottom three steps' treads glued on today' I need to finish painting the crcase before I can glue on the rest.  Once the stairs are done I can work on floors.

• Like 1

Sooo, last night I managed to cut the back panel out and get it sanded down. If anyone's wondering when I moved to PA I left the back panel behind on accident -- thankfully since it's made of a common thickness birch plywood I was able to buy a sheet at Lowe's. Unfortunately they weren't willing to cut it here, which I thought odd but bought a half sheet so I could cut it myself at the house... Let me just say again this house has been a true testament to learning patience! lol Trying to cut plywood with a Dremel... it worked but I had to take a number of breaks to make sure I didn't burn my Dremel up! BUT, bright side it's glued in and fits like a glove. :clap:
In my working on the back panel I was going to cut out an opening for a door so I could have it leading out to a conservatory behind the brownstone, but after drawing out where the door would go... I realized for as much as I want the conservatory on this build that door is going to take away really valuable wall space. I was going to have it going out from the kitchen to the conservatory -- but here's the issue, the kitchen is literally only 6.5" wide. The depth is good, but width is typical for an old styled brownstone. All in all, I'm thinking I'll just keep the conservatory for another project(goodness knows I've plenty). A bit sad about that, but it allows me to finally get down to business of applying the remainder of my tapewire feeds as well as getting my wallpaper liner up. I have a goal of having the living room and kitchen completed by the end of April. Really hoping I can achieve it!

I added my first white wash on the French Country, I tend to want to blend it and maybe that's not the right approach. Wet it looked good, but as it dries, it seems too blended and not enough of the white contrast. Maybe one more round will do. 

large.IMG_3810.JPG.5c1b3e257c9f48abfda90

Looking good Heidi!

I made up a pair of Chrysnbon chairs for the barn, and got the roof pieces painted. Put the planks on one of the interior pieces and hopefully will get the other one done tonight. I got the windows for the downstairs all sanded and prepped for paint, but I need to make the upstairs windows from scratch. I'm going to wait to paint until they're all ready. Still haven't made a decision about the barn foundation. I'm going to make a brick patio, and wonder if I could just use the mortar mix on the foundation?

I'm resisting the urge to dry fit that little Bobbi. I haven't started the Franklin yet, and the Orchid is patiently waiting to be accessorized. I did start a notebook for it, though.  

• Like 1

I decided to go with a fat dowel to start my support post for the store...its smaller then the other item I had but its not final till it is installed lol

went back to working on the first floor...Im having to do it in sections and I see today...doing things my way creates havoc in the long run:frusty:....sooo before I started another section on the side it is viewed from I took the time(gasp) to use a ruler/tape measure and pencil....still not straight but Im fine with it...as for the rest...at least 3 squares need to come off...Ive managed half of one tilll I get the hair dryer...lol....

should have done it one a templet but I just never made it to any store that had it when I was thinking about it...its gonna be fiiiiiiiiine!!:bear:  all I know is tomorrow it is my goal to have the whole floor finished....I started today making all the slots on the house larger and cleaned out the paint and then did the same to the tabs....it is a 30 yr old kit...Ive noticed the wood kinda soaks up and swells...not much for any kind of real issue but the house will be mostly decorated it needs to just slide into place...lol no chances...

today the downstairs is a bit red for my liking...so I may do another sponging of the light terracotta I made to start with...tone it down a bit...dont want it that dark in the store!

some kind of truce between our love birds has happened...all I know is Dave is Happily mapping the lay out of the new greenhouse that Edna has okayed...a bit tooo easily if you ask me....can only mean trouble for me!:salute:

Wow, those are some gorgeous barstools!  Much better than the golf tees & bottlecaps in my pub.

I have finished painting Brimble's stairs and gotten the treads and two of the railings attached.  I confess that the white paneling with the oak stain pleases me aesthetically!  I also finished putting leaves on the farmhouse's tree and although it looks as crude and hokey as I feared starting out, it is going into the farmyard this week (hopefully).  Now it's back to stitching rugs!

57 minutes ago, mikeuk said:

Now why didn't I think of that Jodi......Your right! and if a girl has nowhere to hang her bag then the poor guy has nowhere to put the junk that would otherwise cause an unsightly bulge in his jacket pocket!

Ha. This is exactly why I stopped carrying a purse about 25 years ago -- despite the dearth of pockets in women's clothing. BTW, Lloyd now carries a purse ... uhhh, call it a man bag, he says. I delight in asking him to carry something for me now and then. <evil grin>

• Like 1

Progress! Lisa got all of my house primed that I had put together and I finally finished the staircase in her house.

house.jpg.0d9b67e3f3a0cdaa1134d29326cee1stairs.jpg.3403653934de0fe526e9dd7036f33

It's a little hard to see, but the first two steps are cross steps and the last two steps are cross steps. The entire staircase fits behind the wall with nothing protruding into either the living room or the bedroom. A little trim work and it will look lovely.

I made a start on the side bay window of the kitchen. Since in my house I have both windows on the side filled in, I wanted to put that little window box on the front of the kitchen. That means it had to be cut to size. Fortunately, Lisa didn't take a picture of that. Because although I finally got some of the window together, it's sort of like looking at a car crash.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

These look awesome, Mike! They look cushy and comfortable! A favor, though... Please don't forget the handbag hooks! A poor girl just has nowhere to hang her purse in most bars, and it's really annoying! Lol!

You are right Jodi, it's really hard to know what to do with your purse when there's no where to hang it!

After a rough week I finally got back into the studio and finished Nutti's furniture for her Taft.  So here's some bright and happy minis to look at!   

It's also a fun game.  Take a couch and chair:

large.acidskittles2.jpg.5f87850b868d6b56

And a big pile of cushions and throw pillows:

large.acidskittles9c.jpg.ec5f6d8afe0a810

And then consider how much time you could spend sitting there arranging and re-arranging it all.   Best fun I've had in a long time!!  Here's a picture of one combination:

large.acidskittles8.jpg.1b282cd9cc291063

There are pictures of other combinations here:  http://www.debsminis.com/technicolor_dream_couch.htm  I have no idea which arrangement I like better coz they're all pretty cool.  I'm going to visit Nutti on Wednesday and take the furniture to her so we'll get pictures of it together with the split ottoman that goes in the same room.  She hasn't finished the house yet and I'm already dying to go hang out in it!  Where did I put that shrinker-thingy to make myself small?  

• Like 7