What's everyone working on?

I asked for advice on mini projects to take traveling, and got some great suggestions for needlework projects.  So, off I went to Michaels to get myself set up for that. I thought I'd start the project just to see how it went... and now I'm obsessed and can't stop!  So, all the electrifying and wallpapering and so on I was doing on the house have been on hold while i needlepoint what will be a living room rug.  The trip I bought this stuff for doesn't even start for two weeks. Oops. 

I had a bit of a crisis recently where I wallpapered two of three walls in the downstairs hallway with a paper I loved but hadn't bought enough of (i knew this was a bad idea but couldn't hold myself back).  Then I tried to get more from my dollhouse store, and they'd run out. They looked in to getting more and it had been discontinued!  Luckily I was able to find it online at DBJ, and as my partner's currently spending several days  week in the states on a consultancy I was able to have it shipped to his usual hotel, which saves me lots of $$ on shipping to Canada.  So, hopefully next week that will come home with him and I'll be able to finish papering the hallway and start thinking about installing the stairs. 

ooooo Holly ty for reminding me of gesso....the postal boxes of the Taft need a lil something and that should do it!!

getting ready to take the hubby to his truck for the week and then off to Hobby Lobby...I have got to get a couple of items before I settle into my niche today for some work on floors and ceilings and maybe the siding...Ive never done siding before....wish me luck...

yesterday I started the first of 3 beaded curtains....it really looked like enough beads when I started but with 3 8" strands finished....I think I may need another tube of multi color....

for the downstairs...upstairs is getting blue and silver curtains...lol...pretty handy to have 3 tubes of beads in those coordinating colors...lol....downstairs is getting all the hodge podge of left over beads....another perk of being a hoarder/saver...lol...now if today when I go out and about and I find fringe that will work...:dunno:

Bead curtains always take abut three times as many beads as you think they will.  I marked and stained the subfloor on the first floor and got the risers glued onto the stringers.  I spotted two places that need priming besides the risers, but I have decided the backs of the stairs need closing in (since they're in a store), so I'll be figuring that out & cutting next session.

My April fool's order came in the mail today. Thanks Ernie! So I was playing around with my new minis and thinking over where I'll display them...2 pictures, 2 dust ruffles for beds, and a pretty blue jay for the garden...Also finished up two glass commissions yesterday. An abstract done in purples and clears, and a ship sailing on a moonlit sea. The ship is being delivered to FL this week by my parents to my uncle's house. Here's hoping he loves it! I would post pics, but alas, the gallery is STILL not working for me, and hasn't for the past 6 months.

Just went from one Idea of what I should work on to a totally different direction...

so the question now is how to get the copper fabric to work with me into a full flowing kind of skirt AND still try and get the stripes one worked in there somehow. These ladies I tell ya''!!!large.image.jpg.96678986e971dbf8a370b7d1

• Like 1

ooooooo she is wonderful!! I would soooo love to learn the art of doll making and dressing!!

I on the other hand spent a crazy bi-polar chaotic crafter day.....lol....:flex:  went to Hobby Lobby for some copper paint and more textured paper for the taft ceilings...while there I also got a big tube of multi-color beads...to paranoid Ill run out...lol....almost out of there when BOOM! a bag of glass mosaic with yellow tag catch my eye!!! OOOOO TY the cosmos for truth is I have wanted to mosaic the store counter but not seeing that happen...but for 1.50$? score! while I was in the glue section I found this wood scroll flower...just randomly laying there...so I went and found another and viola the store counter has all is components! :banana:     

both Micheal's and Hobby Lobby had trinkets that would be perfect for the store...unfortunately one cannot buy them all...lol...so I settled for a metal(look) painted butterfly...some multi color wood peace sign beads....and some soft bead with tropicalish/southwesternish colors for cactus pots!!

once home....sigh...chaos reigned supreme.....where does one start with sooo many goodies to play with for so many different I want to do now projects...lol....so I sorted the existing beads for curtains to a more user(me) friendly container...separated all the tiles in the mosaic bag and played with a few designs....oooooo while doing all this I was also putting stuff up and backed into my "nutti's niche" sign I had laying with all its components on top...which went flying...so I said....self just do this already so after I found all the letters(again) I glued and then painted the whole thing purple...dont know why so after it dried I repainted it BLUE....while that dried I painted all 4 sheets of embossed paper with the copper....I hope it looks as good on the ceiling as it does all over my niche....then while reaching for said copper paint...a particular color jumped into my hand and now the outside trim of the Wannabis is a gorgeous sea green...much like the houseboat...the benches outside may be yellow and purple or orange and purple...lol... I also stained the wood trim I got for the ceiling and laid a few floor tiles.... then used my new and most wonderful sea sponge to add a lighter blue to my sign and then used silver on the letters....thats when I realized it was 3am and I was tired!!!     

today its off the get some food and then back to my floors and I am going to order the greenhouse....sigh...

and with all this going on the lovely (dont care what ya say Holly) BOSSY duo are wondering when will I finish their addition to their house cuz they are more then ready to be back into their own cottage,,,,sigh...what? can we just finish this first lol!

• Like 1

Lynette, you're a gal on a roll ... what great shopping finds! I understand the hopscotching around from one thing to another. With everything else on my to-do list, I am pulled toward a Hobby Lobby bag that holds materials to make a scale model of Lloyd's family cemetery. It's about to get fenced, and we're still trying to figure out who is buried there. There are at least a half dozen graves of unknowns, and the one fellow curmudgeon who might be able to tell us who some of them are will not speak to us. Go figure.

I had a pretty productive Spring Break off of school.  I managed to get the exterior of the Farmhouse painted, as well as the window frames and shutters.  I also managed to get the house put back together and glued onto the foundation.  The second floor is also installed, now to replace the acetate in the windows, touch up a few paint spots, and begin the interior remodeling.  I have made templates of the walls, ceilings, and floors out of poster board that I plan to decorate and glue into place.  Yay!

• Like 1

I sold my San Francisco Row house yesterday (sad and glad at the same time) and now need to do remaining small things to call Thornhill complete. Stair guard rails for 2nd and 3rd floor need painting and installing, and I should repaint attic ceiling, and the soffit in the dormer exterior. 

Then I can move it temporarily to the table where the San Francisco Row sat, until I can nudge my husband to help me move it 2 flights to 2nd floor new home. Then...I can start in earnest on my French Country Manor!

• Like 2

There is actually a dollhouse shop here in town so I spent most of my morning getting over there and browsing. Came home with the windows that I needed for the first floor. I need to un-warp one of the walls before I can start thinking about gluing the shell together. I'll get on that tonight because I want to at least have the first floor shell started so that I can start playing with some of the furniture that's in the stash.

I spent today with the new fan in the shop, gluing the stripwood onto Brimble's stair carcase and then it will be ready to paint!  I have also begun putting leaves onto the tree.

Mike, the first house that spoke loudly and clearly to me was the Glencroft kit I was building for the Team Glencroft blog; it didn't want to become Miss Marple's cottage, it wanted to become a pub!  Of course I had to go into all sorts of bars to do research for how the pub wanted to look...  My Dear Husband made the supreme sacrifice and went with me...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mikeuk said:

For the past month I've been working on a Tudor.....ish building that I was going to turn into a craft centre.........Shortly after I joined Greenleaf I remember reading a comment form Holly about houses speaking to their builders.......I was a little more than sceptical so you can well imagine my surprise......nay shock when a little voice whispered in my ear today!

'I don't want to be a craft centre!..........I don't look like a craft centre and I don't feel like a craft centre!'

It right and of course so is Holly............So today I carried on building my new English Pub.............with a difference!

I always thought it would make a better either pub or inn than a craft centre, so I'm looking forward to it!

Mike and Holly, I guess it's the same way with my Japanese Inn. The kit is supposed to be from the 1950's or 60's, but it definitely wants to be much earlier. That's causing a problem with me having to figure out what kind of chairs to put onto all the porches for each room.

The kit had big overstuffed late 50's/early 60's type chairs, and they really would be hard to change, so I'm going to have to figure out what chairs to make rather than those. I need to do more looking on the internet I guess! The TVs are easy, I just won't put them into the inn.

It's much easier to work on something when you make it the way it wants to be rather than how it's supposed to be. I just couldn't bear to make this one that modern, since it is so much like the really old traditional ones.

Besides, if I was at a hot spring ryokan, I definitely would be enjoying the outdoors rather than sitting inside watching television. It's sort of like some cabins we used to go to up in the woods in Maine. It just wasn't the same when they got satellite TV. My husband wanted to watch that, but I wanted to sit out on the deck and watch the moon rise over the lake at night and go kayaking or exploring the woods during the day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, havanaholly said:

I always thought TV in the rooms was for that third straight day of rain & wind...

Been there, done that. We finally got a three day weekend for the fourth, when we could actually go away a couple of years ago, and there was a hurricane!!! No TV or heat there, because they were off the grid. That time, I might have enjoyed it!

It was one of the places that usually is wonderful for swimming right off the dock, but not that weekend! Normally we can't go away for the fourth, so it was supposed to be a real treat for us.

I went to goodwill in search of fabric, No mini stuff. But I got a full size mat cutter with a box of new blades for $4,99. My RL house looks like a cyclone hit it. We are leaving for Israel in a few days so I have got to get things together for the house sitter.

14 minutes ago, mikeuk said:

My 'Craft Centre' is now a 'Pub'.........or more accurately and following the trendiest of trends!.....oooooooh! 

It's a posh Wine Bar & Music Venue.

I struggled with the name all night and then two things happened almost at the same time!........1) I thought of the name 'Man at Arms' (after a favourite pub of mine) then.......2) I thought of the carving that I'd done a while back.........a copy of a larger one that I had brought in Spain.......'Don Quixote' a man at arms.......'Man of La Mancha'.

So.......the pub will be dedicated to my first love of musical theatre and film.

GL057s.jpg

What a perfect fit! And the coloring is right on. When you had mentioned the pub in another post and referred to it being different, I was afraid it was going to be a Vegas theme filled with  Elvis memorabilia. Lol.

20 minutes ago, mikeuk said:

This will be dedicated to the Musicals.......

Can you use a pic of an authentic Grease cast jacket? Our best man was in the show and he gave this jacket to my husband. 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

So neat Mike! Love it!!! I myself, am taking a quick break from painting channel molding for windows and gluing my brownstone floors and walls together for hopefully the last time. Just praying this time when I stand it all up it doesn't look like it has a horrible tilt...

Oh, and have also started laying my tapewire to figure out my light placements -- finally starting to get to the really fun stuff!  lol

Mike - love your newest tudor! How do the fronts attach? Hinges? I've been looking at your album and trying to figure it out. 

I did get a coat of paint on the attic interior roof and the dormer soffit on the Thornhill. 

Meanwhile, I couldn't wait to try blending/improving the exterior finish on my French Country Manor. I got my stipple brushes out and began playing...and I'm very pleased with the initial results. This means that I will be able to salvage what is there, and not have to start all over from scratch. I'm going around it with the Red Brown, and really working to blend not only the white spots but the blobs of red. Once done with that all over the house, I will come back and evaluate if I still need to blend in more reds to hide the darker red blobs. (Bet you didn't know blobs is a technical term, did ya?)

Left side is the before, right starting at first window is the after. More pics in my album. 

large.IMG_3720.JPG.8e1f37fca051ce9dfecb8

• Like 2