What's everyone working on?

5 hours ago, denkyem said:

Mike, i love the saw!

After my big hiatus, I'm really back going at full tilt on my house again. This week I've been cutting dividers to size and wallpapering.  I'd been stalled on divider-cutting because i thought I'd need a power saw to get clean cuts (i'm doing an RGT so it's all 3/8 inch plywood) but i tried a combo of my utility knife and a tiny razor saw (the kind that comes with a plastic mitre box for cutting trim) and have managed to painstakingly do it all myself with nice clean, precise results.

As is typical, I'm coming here with a few questions for you pros:

1. I am just loving the papers from a michaels scrapbook pad I bought last year -- but there are only 3 sheets of each paper, and so there won't be enough to do a couple of rooms in the designs I really love.  Do any of you have secret tips on re-buying michaels scrapbook paper pads?  Do they continue on with the same ones year to year? or is there some online repository where i could go hunting? The one i'm hung up on is the recollections "mosaic memories" pad.

2.  Sealing my wallpaper -- I haven't been sealing anything, and just remembered that this was a thing.  I could still possibly get in there and spray with a matte sealer -- think that would work on already-erected exterior walls?  (the interior dividers i can easily take out and spray). The dollhouse wallpaper I'm using has a nice shiny finish so I think will stay clean, but I'm concerned about the walls I'm doing with scrapbook paper and cardstock.

3.  I need to do some very precise drilling for wires in various spots in the house where I can't get my big power drill in (or sort of can, but it's very clumsy and hard to control).  I feel like I need a new tool for this. Is this what a dremel is for?  Any tips?

Thanks all!

Emily

1. If Michaels doesn't have more pads of the paper you want, try googling the name of the pad (put quotes around it so google will only search for the entire name). If you can't find enough to do all the rooms you want, then do wainscotting!

2. I've never sealed the scrapbook paper, and it seems to be fine.

3. A pin vise would help for drilling holes in the walls, since it's plywood, it should be very easy!

Working on accessories for the Orchid! The bathroom sink is done, tub is having parts glued, and I started accessories this morning. I'm going to try to have at least 3 of the rooms "done" before I start the next kit, but I'm getting itchy.  I can't make up my mind about fixture placement in the bathroom. It's very tiny, with a window in the middle of one wall. Plan A was to put the tub on the short wall, toilet and sink on either side of the opposite window wall. The toilet was going in the far back corner, but that means the sink is partially obscured by the back roof. If I put the sink in the far corner, that puts the toilet right up front. I'm going to tape the sink in place, look at it a few days and see if I can make a decision.   

20 hours ago, MikeUK said:

Thanks Jodi and Hubs too!........know what I've been thinking as I did the saw today?..............I must look at 3D printing!......You know how there is comparatively not much contemporary miniature furniture on the market?..............Well there is even less when it comes to miniature tools!........

That's a great idea, Mike! I'm sure that you could create tools and equipment that are just not available! Many miniaturists would love to have them! You could even design them with parts and pieces that detach for easier finishing!

Well, Lisa and I worked on the Glencrofts again today. Lisa is going to start an album. Me, I think I'll wait till my house is finished before I take any pictures. After almost a year of not having a camera, I finally ordered a phone (only because I lost my phone about 3 weeks ago) and this one may take decent enough pictures that I don't need to get a camera. Anyway, Lisa's shell got glued together today and and I stuck on the front portions of mine. I decided to let the glue dry before I attempt the roof. Lisa asked if I didn't want to decorate before I put the roof on and of course, I'm asking, "What for? That's the smart and easy way to do it and I never did the smart thing in my entire life. Why start now?"

However, I'm seriously wondering how much it would cost to ship my house to Mike and let him finish it. Hmmm.............

On 14 February 2016 at 00:20:14, havanaholly said:

Glen in NZ is the master of the 3D printer.  Mike, where did you get the wee purple basket if you didn't print it?

'Tumdee Miniatures' Holly.......They sell a range of different sizes and colours.............and you're right! They were probably printed!

23 hours ago, denkyem said:

Mike, i love the saw!

After my big hiatus, I'm really back going at full tilt on my house again. This week I've been cutting dividers to size and wallpapering.  I'd been stalled on divider-cutting because i thought I'd need a power saw to get clean cuts (i'm doing an RGT so it's all 3/8 inch plywood) but i tried a combo of my utility knife and a tiny razor saw (the kind that comes with a plastic mitre box for cutting trim) and have managed to painstakingly do it all myself with nice clean, precise results.

As is typical, I'm coming here with a few questions for you pros:

1. I am just loving the papers from a michaels scrapbook pad I bought last year -- but there are only 3 sheets of each paper, and so there won't be enough to do a couple of rooms in the designs I really love.  Do any of you have secret tips on re-buying michaels scrapbook paper pads?  Do they continue on with the same ones year to year? or is there some online repository where i could go hunting? The one i'm hung up on is the recollections "mosaic memories" pad.

2.  Sealing my wallpaper -- I haven't been sealing anything, and just remembered that this was a thing.  I could still possibly get in there and spray with a matte sealer -- think that would work on already-erected exterior walls?  (the interior dividers i can easily take out and spray). The dollhouse wallpaper I'm using has a nice shiny finish so I think will stay clean, but I'm concerned about the walls I'm doing with scrapbook paper and cardstock.

3.  I need to do some very precise drilling for wires in various spots in the house where I can't get my big power drill in (or sort of can, but it's very clumsy and hard to control).  I feel like I need a new tool for this. Is this what a dremel is for?  Any tips?

Thanks all!

Emily

I use a cordless Dremel with the 'Right Angle Adapter'........cost around £25 in the UK but it allows you to drill in very confined spaces.

Its like a lot of those gadgets.............Once you have one you wonder how you ever got on without one!

17 hours ago, havanaholly said:

My Dremel Stylus works well for this sort of close-in drilling.

Great tip, Holly! This looks like just the thing, think I'm going to get one. 

17 hours ago, kathi17 said:

1. If Michaels doesn't have more pads of the paper you want, try googling the name of the pad (put quotes around it so google will only search for the entire name). If you can't find enough to do all the rooms you want, then do wainscotting!

2. I've never sealed the scrapbook paper, and it seems to be fine.

3. A pin vise would help for drilling holes in the walls, since it's plywood, it should be very easy!

Kathi, thanks for your tips!  Your thoughts on the paper are reassuring .I've heard that sealing the paper helps with keeping it cleanable for the future, but maybe it's more important for home-printed paper, which I'm not using.  maybe I'll experiment with sealing paper for some of the interior walls I haven't done yet and see how i feel about it.  I did buy a product for this exact reason! 

The pin vise sounds like a great tool, but I'm not convinced it would be up to this task (it's 3/8 inch plywood, and in some spots where twisting by hand would be tricky).  I think I'm going to pick up the dremel stylus Holly mentioned, but I'd love to hear more about how and for what you and others use a pin vise. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeUK said:

I use a cordless Dremel with the 'Right Angle Adapter'........cost around £25 in the UK but it allows you to drill in very confined spaces.

Its like a lot of those gadgets.............Once you have one you wonder how you ever got on without one!

ooh, this "right angle adaptor" thing does sound pretty brilliant.  Would that work with the dremel stylus Holly suggested, or is a dremel stylus too different from a classic dremel? 

5 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

Well, Lisa and I worked on the Glencrofts again today. Lisa is going to start an album. Me, I think I'll wait till my house is finished before I take any pictures. After almost a year of not having a camera, I finally ordered a phone (only because I lost my phone about 3 weeks ago) and this one may take decent enough pictures that I don't need to get a camera. Anyway, Lisa's shell got glued together today and and I stuck on the front portions of mine. I decided to let the glue dry before I attempt the roof. Lisa asked if I didn't want to decorate before I put the roof on and of course, I'm asking, "What for? That's the smart and easy way to do it and I never did the smart thing in my entire life. Why start now?"

However, I'm seriously wondering how much it would cost to ship my house to Mike and let him finish it. Hmmm.............

I Just moved!...............Twice!

20 minutes ago, denkyem said:

ooh, this "right angle adaptor" thing does sound pretty brilliant.  Would that work with the dremel stylus Holly suggested, or is a dremel stylus too different from a classic dremel? 

I believe it will Emily.........If you can change the chuck ( the bit on the front that hold the drill bit) the yes!..........just google 'dremel Stylus Attachments' to make sure..............but you will find it so useful!

The Stylus is smaller than the regular Dremel and has an angled grip (click on the link to see how it's shaped).  I'm not really sure that the right-angle adaptor is something you'd need with it.  Anyone have both and used them together?

8 hours ago, denkyem said:

Kathi, thanks for your tips!  Your thoughts on the paper are reassuring .I've heard that sealing the paper helps with keeping it cleanable for the future, but maybe it's more important for home-printed paper, which I'm not using.  maybe I'll experiment with sealing paper for some of the interior walls I haven't done yet and see how i feel about it.  I did buy a product for this exact reason! 

The pin vise sounds like a great tool, but I'm not convinced it would be up to this task (it's 3/8 inch plywood, and in some spots where twisting by hand would be tricky).  I think I'm going to pick up the dremel stylus Holly mentioned, but I'd love to hear more about how and for what you and others use a pin vise. 

I didn't know about the Dremel that Holly mentioned, that would be much easier than the pin vise.

That's it for today!

If you know anything at all about wood lathes.....Look Away Now!

Six hours and zero cost..........Amazing what bit you can find when you scratch around! 

TH050s.jpg

TH051s.jpg

Wow, Mike. I'm ready to tie on my leather apron and get to work in your shop! The lathe reminds me of the one my father had. He taught us to use it. I can recall standing on a chair at about age 6 and turning something or other. The OSHA  and Child and Family Service folks would probably have a cow if they came across this practice nowadays, but we survived it with all digits intact.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Wow, Mike. I'm ready to tie on my leather apron and get to work in your shop! The lathe reminds me of the one my father had. He taught us to use it. I can recall standing on a chair at about age 6 and turning something or other. The OSHA  and Child and Family Service folks would probably have a cow if they came across this practice nowadays, but we survived it with all digits intact.

Isn't that just the sad truth though Kathie! I thought it was only over here that 'Health & Safety' had gone crazy! If we wrap up the kids any more we'll stifle them!

Rosemary also spent some valuable time at her Dads lathe............It was love at first sight when I saw on the crawler underneath her car!........Happy days!

9 minutes ago, pawsplus said:

Mike--you should do one of those "Creatin' Contest" entries.  Make a shop and use all your mini tools.  I can see that winning easily!

That's good of you to say Elizabeth and I'm pretty happy with what I do but I've a way to go before I'd try taking on the talents that raised the bar yet again in this years contest. That's some seriously good stuff!

3 hours ago, MikeUK said:

Isn't that just the sad truth though Kathie! I thought it was only over here that 'Health & Safety' had gone crazy! If we wrap up the kids any more we'll stifle them!

Rosemary also spent some valuable time at her Dads lathe............It was love at first sight when I saw on the crawler underneath her car!........Happy days!

I sense kindred spirits here. When I had my Ford Pinto station wagon many moons ago (like in the 80s), I used to change the oil and spark plugs. Nowadays I wouldn't begin to tinker with the computer driven engine components.

Ok, I appear to already be addicted.  Just bought an 'Orchid' kit on eBay so I can officially be a 'Greenleafer'!  It was only £16 (about $23) so a bit of a bargain.  No idea when I'll actually get round to making it as I think this current house will take a while but I'm already planning ;)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, claireliontamer said:

Mossing a roof may just about be my new favourite thing to do.  I keep hearing Mike in the back of my mind though saying 'less is more....'.  I think my next house has to be a fairy house with a crazy moss roof!

No! Don't listen to me Claire......if you want to moss then moss away.........but it's looking good!