What's everyone working on?

1 hour ago, otterine said:

I'm getting near the end of the structural part of my barn find diorama.  Soon, it will be time to start making goodies for the interior and getting back to work on the car once spray painting weather rolls into town. :D  And, of course, I will soon start a new build for the year...

The barn is coming along beautifully!

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Jackie, that's a Dura-Craft, right?  When I assemble those walls I used a steel carpenter's square and strips of masking tape to get the tongues imbedded as tightly and evenly into those grooves as I could.  My biggest problem was getting the longframe pieces tight into their slots on the foundation so the walls would fit perfectly snug (which they didn't...).  I wonder if the MDF kits' components fit any better?

Yes, I think so Holly.  Well, I can see how this poor builder had so much trouble!  They even somehow managed to put a section of the front of the house on upside-down!  LOL  It's beginning to look like I should have just taken it completely apart and started over!

29 minutes ago, claireliontamer said:

Still have about 2-inches of roof left to do.  The next time I decide to hand make clay tiles for a miniature roof will someone remind me of how long this has taken!!!

Claire, I feel your pain! It's wonderous what we get ourselves into, isn't it? I am finally coming within sight of finishing a needlepoint kit. Didn't calculate the number of stitches required until a few days ago and am glad I didn't do it earlier as I never would have started! 46,630 stitches.  Ouch!

Mike, that explains a lot! Your lighting is just perfect in all of your builds! I'm going to try some lighting in the next build...no promises yet, and haven't committed to anything, but I'm going to play around with it and see what I get.

Brae, that barn build is just amazing. You have the gift of figuring out all of these little realistic details that just make your builds magical. I'm building a converted barn, but don't think it's going to stand up to comparison. It's going to be a fun build, though. We almost bought a converted barn a while back, so it's modeled after that house. I still regret that we didn't buy it.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jaxenro said:

Cut the top off waiting on the velvet paper and the hinges

The idea works even if this one is crude will do the next one out of walnut not basswood

I wiped up the excess stain after the picture

IMG_0995.JPG

IMG_0996.JPG

I see where your coming from now Joel!.....you did it this way so there are no joins showing in the veneer!...........You'll have to excuse me I get a bit slow sometimes.

I have googled miniature table saw in a thousand different ways and found only one........so this effort is based upon my own in the garage.....................which I should have done in the first place! The half made piece of furniture with the basket on top will fill a corner somewhere...........The collapsable work table is a copy of both a miniature (which I have) and the real one which I also have!.......The A frames and top I made last week!..........Oh and I found the little drill so added the Name Plate and power cord!

TH045s.jpg

TH047s.jpg

Mike, love that! The table saw and drill are fabulous!

I just put together my Valentine's present. I wanted a small rolling cart for dollhouse building. This is the perfect size to build smaller houses on, and I can keep my tools and paints handy on the shelves. Sitting in my craft room chair, this is a great height, too!  

kitchen cart.jpg

1 hour ago, MikeUK said:

I see where your coming from now Joel!.....you did it this way so there are no joins showing in the veneer!...........You'll have to excuse me I get a bit slow sometimes.

Most box makers I know of build them like this (full scale) first make the box then cut out the top. That way the grain matches

Mike, you are very very talented.  Where in the UK are you, I think I need lessons!!

Anyway, the tiles on my house are all on :) There's about 1500 of them in total......just need them to dry so I can sand, paint and moss them.  Also, trying to work out how to make the ridge tiles.  

4 hours ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

Mike, you are simply Magic! Bravo! The hubs is sitting here with me and says "Ha! That is just awesome"! I think maybe you have inspired his creativity today!

Thanks Jodi and Hubs too!........know what I've been thinking as I did the saw today?..............I must look at 3D printing!......You know how there is comparatively not much contemporary miniature furniture on the market?..............Well there is even less when it comes to miniature tools!........

4 hours ago, stickyfingers said:

Mike, love that! The table saw and drill are fabulous!

I just put together my Valentine's present. I wanted a small rolling cart for dollhouse building. This is the perfect size to build smaller houses on, and I can keep my tools and paints handy on the shelves. Sitting in my craft room chair, this is a great height, too!  

kitchen cart.jpg

Thanks Linda.....interesting to do but don't ever do what I did today!..........don't try cutting aluminium with a less than good saw blade..............fortunately it missed my head!

That looks like one useful bit of kit.....you'll be able to wheel the house all around the house now!

3 hours ago, pawsplus said:

Mike--you MADE that saw??!!?!?!? Seriously??

2 hours ago, jaxenro said:

Mike is definitely a master craftsman if I have ever seen one 

Thanks Elizabeth, you too Joel..........glad you can't see it close too though.......you might just re-catagorize me!.......I'm happy enough with it but as with most things you ask yourself could that have been better!...........next time maybe but it's good to learn!

1 minute ago, MikeUK said:

I'm happy enough with it but as with most things you ask yourself could that have been better!...........next time maybe but it's good to learn!

If you didn't ask yourself that you wouldn't be a craftsman. The ones that are really good are never satisfied with where they are but always trying to improve

2 hours ago, claireliontamer said:

Mike, you are very very talented.  Where in the UK are you, I think I need lessons!!

Anyway, the tiles on my house are all on :) There's about 1500 of them in total......just need them to dry so I can sand, paint and moss them.  Also, trying to work out how to make the ridge tiles.  

Hi Claire and thanks..........Good to hear your roof is done............isn't it a thrill when you start!.........that feeling of pride when you get the first row on!..........That 'If I never see another roof tile in ten years it'll be too soon' feeling as you lay the last one!...........are you doing individual bricks?!

I'm over in sunny Derby, moved here from London a few years ago!.......I know!........The man's mad!

18 minutes ago, MikeUK said:

Hi Claire and thanks..........Good to hear your roof is done............isn't it a thrill when you start!.........that feeling of pride when you get the first row on!..........That 'If I never see another roof tile in ten years it'll be too soon' feeling as you lay the last one!...........are you doing individual bricks?!

I'm over in sunny Derby, moved here from London a few years ago!.......I know!........The man's mad!

Yes individual hand made tiles. I saw the ones on Richard Stacey's site but it would have cost a lot to buy them all do I thought 'I'll make them......'. I now know why they cost a lot!

Mike, i love the saw!

After my big hiatus, I'm really back going at full tilt on my house again. This week I've been cutting dividers to size and wallpapering.  I'd been stalled on divider-cutting because i thought I'd need a power saw to get clean cuts (i'm doing an RGT so it's all 3/8 inch plywood) but i tried a combo of my utility knife and a tiny razor saw (the kind that comes with a plastic mitre box for cutting trim) and have managed to painstakingly do it all myself with nice clean, precise results.

As is typical, I'm coming here with a few questions for you pros:

1. I am just loving the papers from a michaels scrapbook pad I bought last year -- but there are only 3 sheets of each paper, and so there won't be enough to do a couple of rooms in the designs I really love.  Do any of you have secret tips on re-buying michaels scrapbook paper pads?  Do they continue on with the same ones year to year? or is there some online repository where i could go hunting? The one i'm hung up on is the recollections "mosaic memories" pad.

2.  Sealing my wallpaper -- I haven't been sealing anything, and just remembered that this was a thing.  I could still possibly get in there and spray with a matte sealer -- think that would work on already-erected exterior walls?  (the interior dividers i can easily take out and spray). The dollhouse wallpaper I'm using has a nice shiny finish so I think will stay clean, but I'm concerned about the walls I'm doing with scrapbook paper and cardstock.

3.  I need to do some very precise drilling for wires in various spots in the house where I can't get my big power drill in (or sort of can, but it's very clumsy and hard to control).  I feel like I need a new tool for this. Is this what a dremel is for?  Any tips?

Thanks all!

Emily