What's everyone working on?

23 hours ago, Sable said:

I'm putting the final touches on the cutting exercise for our mini club, this evening.  I had noticed that some of our most creative and talented members can't properly mitre corners. Also, we have new members that are just getting started so this little exercise should be a benefit to many.   Millimeters and tenth of inches matter when making perfect cuts. I'm going to explain the importance of properly measuring and making allowances for the 'kerf' of the saw blade. Assuming that always cutting down the middle of your measurement line can lead to extra sanding or worse too short of a piece of trim.    I hope my presentation goes well. Wish me luck.

Sure wish I could have sat in on this one!  I could use it!  My hubby is a high-end cabinet installer and does impressive, immaculate mitered corners.....but he refuses to give me any kind of guidance on how to make better cuts in my minis!  :/  grrr.... 

Finishing up the real furniture project, then hope to fiddle with some minis this weekend. Maybe that bad paint job on my bathroom set is dry enough to sand off? I can't make up my mind how to do the floor for the next build. I did the wood floors in the Orchid by cutting siding strips in half, sanding (this was the long and tedious part, the side edges were a bear), cutting into different lengths, staining, then gluing. The next build will be a bit more rustic, so I'm wondering if I can cut, then glue, sand, then stain. A few rough-ish edges will look correct, and that business of sanding the long edges of a million thin strips makes me cringe.

Sable, what a great idea! Even if there are a lot of resources how to cut miters, no one really addresses the finer points of how to get a really great cut. I'd love to hear a few tips!

On 03/02/2016, 15:57:12, Sable said:

I'm putting the final touches on the cutting exercise for our mini club, this evening.  I had noticed that some of our most creative and talented members can't properly mitre corners. Also, we have new members that are just getting started so this little exercise should be a benefit to many.   Millimeters and tenth of inches matter when making perfect cuts. I'm going to explain the importance of properly measuring and making allowances for the 'kerf' of the saw blade. Assuming that always cutting down the middle of your measurement line can lead to extra sanding or worse too short of a piece of trim.    I hope my presentation goes well. Wish me luck.

I wish I was in your mini-club this is exactly what I need!

I spend a large chunk of my time at my 85 year old mother's, so I am working on things in two places, and it takes longer to finish things when you have only half the time to work on them.

Anyway, at home I am still working on the HOM Broken Bonnet Highboy with all those drawers, but it is finally almost all together.  Hopefully I can get it finished today and start a new project.

At my mother's yesterday, I started making those bowls you do with 1/8" strips of paper and a quilling tool. I have only done a few plain old bowls, since I am still trying to get used to how far to push the flat coils without everything springing apart, but they are quite fun, and I can't wait to get into some more complicated pieces.

I had to wait until the layer of glue inside dried, so I couldn't finish them yesterday. I was hoping to do that today, but we are getting a ton of snow today, so it looks like I will be finishing up the highboy instead. (That will be good,because I am very much ready to start a different piece of furniture)!

I thought it was about time I made a few bits in wood for a change and I've even done opening drawers and doors!............The wardrobe is for the shop showroom and the rest for the workshops!

TH036.jpg

37 minutes ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

Wow Mike! Beautifully done!

26 minutes ago, kathi17 said:

Those are really beautiful Mike. You make everything look so real!

13 minutes ago, claireliontamer said:

Looks amazing Mike :)

Thanks for that.......Must say it made a pleasant change working with wood again.......but since this is supposed to be a Pine and Oak furniture maker it would be a bit cheeky making everything in Mount Board!

52 minutes ago, MikeUK said:

Thanks for that.......Must say it made a pleasant change working with wood again.......but since this is supposed to be a Pine and Oak furniture maker it would be a bit cheeky making everything in Mount Board!

Maybe cheeky, but what a great joke on the unsuspecting viewers. :D 

Making good progress on Alki Point - the vinegar/steel wool stain boards and trim have been applied. I'm almost ready to mount it to the foundation board and start the final details and landscaping. However, my work area looks like a bomb went off! Not just my mess, but the puppies are having way too much fun pulling the stuffing out of their toys. I've had it, can't work in this chaos any longer, so I am taking the day to clean and reorganize! Probably not such a good use of my time, as the family is coming here to watch the Super Bowl tomorrow and I have those tasks to attend to, as well. What I'd really like to do is go pop open a new book and read until I am gently lulled into a heavenly afternoon nap...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I hope Joel sees this and takes note that all your drawers in the cabinet are in scale.

At least he'll get a laugh Holly!..............if they are in scale it's only because I only had that material to hand! I went a bit crazy with drawers today, at one point my desk was strewn with 28!........I'll use the rest tomorrow.

Anyway these are plain old butt joints..........Imagine doing it properly!........I'd need second sight!

13 minutes ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

Making good progress on Alki Point - the vinegar/steel wool stain boards and trim have been applied. I'm almost ready to mount it to the foundation board and start the final details and landscaping. However, my work area looks like a bomb went off! Not just my mess, but the puppies are having way too much fun pulling the stuffing out of their toys. I've had it, can't work in this chaos any longer, so I am taking the day to clean and reorganize! Probably not such a good use of my time, as the family is coming here to watch the Super Bowl tomorrow and I have those tasks to attend to, as well. What I'd really like to do is go pop open a new book and read until I am gently lulled into a heavenly afternoon nap...

I'm enjoying your progress Jodi it's looking excellent and your blog makes great reading!...............best way of getting gently lulled for me are audio books..........I put the headphones on......listen to a couple of minutes and the following morning all I need to do is spin back a couple of hours to pick up where I left off!!!

I am not meant to find a wayward dollhouse. I have recently missed out on THREE on Craigslist. One was a partial Alison Jr, been listed for 10 hours, before it sold to someone else. I probably should just spend my time working on the kits in the que, because a tattered unwanted bargain eludes me.   

25 minutes ago, stickyfingers said:

I am not meant to find a wayward dollhouse. I have recently missed out on THREE on Craigslist. One was a partial Alison Jr, been listed for 10 hours, before it sold to someone else. I probably should just spend my time working on the kits in the que, because a tattered unwanted bargain eludes me.   

I am currently staring at 7 kits stacked on my drawer system. I know I have at lease three more in the buffet cabinet, and I have three here that are partially finished. Yet I can't stop looking for more! In the last month, I have purchased 3 more of these:

91XpEsqv3BL._SL1500_.jpg

I spent most of the day reorganizing and recategorizing the hoard. Still, on breaks, I am off lurking on eBay. This madness has to stop! But how?

24 minutes ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

I am currently staring at 7 kits stacked on my drawer system. I know I have at lease three more in the buffet cabinet, and I have three here that are partially finished. Yet I can't stop looking for more! In the last month, I have purchased 3 more of these:

I like the clear drawers in this storage unit. Where did you find it?

I had to make a new rubber mold for window casings, the previous mold got damaged. Making another triple frame Gothic window for the back wall of the 2nd floor bedrooms, also have been cutting more walls, floors and ceilings. Looking for a break in the weather at some point to stain more floors, I cannot put the room boxes together until that point, but I can wall paper and paint and get everything else ready.

• Like 2

I was showing my husband that mold and casting stuff that you use Debora. He was pretty interested in it. (I was pretty sure he would be). Anyway, maybe once winter is over, and we start to have a little more money on hand, we will be able to send for some. We both have a lot of ideas that it would work well for!

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

I like the clear drawers in this storage unit. Where did you find it?

My favorite place ever... Amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FA5W69I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

If you have Prime, the shipping is free, too! I paid about $55. Looks like they are a little more now, but they have lots of different sizes and styles, too! They're great!

3 hours ago, MikeUK said:

I'm enjoying your progress Jodi it's looking excellent and your blog makes great reading!...............best way of getting gently lulled for me are audio books..........I put the headphones on......listen to a couple of minutes and the following morning all I need to do is spin back a couple of hours to pick up where I left off!!!

Thanks Mike! I love audio books, too! And several podcasts! That's usually how I drift off each night. Except when I listen to Sasquatch Chronicles. Those witness stories keep me awake and afrait to let one toe out of the covers!!!

Thanks, Jodi. This unit would work well for Lloyd's art supplies, which are now in stacked bankers' boxes, which he has to shuffle through when he needs something. To be able to see what's in the drawers will be very helpful.

• Like 1