What's everyone working on?

Mike, it's your genius at work again. Love it!

Oh, ya, and I want one too. I even looked up the company last night when I was supposed to be sleeping. sigh .... like I "need" another addition to my stash. sigh again. This hobby is WAY too addicting. I really must find a dh anonymous group.

Mike, love the art! Clever name, and can't wait to see what you do with it.

OK. This dollhouse thing...so, I was briefly smitten with the Buttercup. I had a whole plan to cover it in stone and make a sweet little cottage. I almost pulled the trigger and bought a kit during the Labor Day sales, but restrained myself. The only problem was size...it's just too small. I would want it be a house, rather than a shop or studio of some kind, and I can't see myself leaving it empty. Maybe bash it with something else? Put two together? I just kept thinking of it, then did a search for "stone cottage dollhouse." The Glencroft!!! Perfect! Looks like a nice size, and I love the arched doorways and fireplaces. I never paid much attention to the house, since I don't really care for the half timbering. I remember in the 70's seeing bad imitations and interpretations of Tudors popping up all over, so I've never loved the style. But covered in brick and stone...oh yeah! It will be added to the wish list, and I'll start a little folder of ideas.    

I haven't done much else to the Orchid this week. I need to measure and cut all of the exterior trims before I can add the board and batten strips, and I'm just not feeling it this week. I did start to work on the front door a bit more. Still trying to decide on a trim for the inside of the door and how I want to frame it.  

I did buy some of the siding strips from HBS last week. They came yesterday, and lots of fabulous grain and heartwood in the batch, so it should make really lovely flooring for the barn.   

I know that y'all probably know this already, but baby wipes do a great job of removing paint from your skin. Also, I bought a pack of those cheap, thin plastic cutting mats (to be used as cutting boards in the kitchen) to use as a protective surface when I'm painting. I had been using parchment or wax paper, but that seemed so wasteful. Also, you can wipe paint off of the cutting mat with a baby wipe and reuse it over and over. Oh, and a razor knife or a mini saw WILL cut through it, so use a self-healing mat if you're cutting.

My other tip of the day, is if you are using a shade of white for trims or walls, try it on a scrap of the kit wood first, before you commit. The paint that I have been using needs 3 or more coats to fully cover a lot of the darker woods. If I had chosen a different brand or a shade darker, it would only be 2.   

• Like 1

All last night thinking of a name for the new project (Art restoration & Framing Shop) and it hit me in the bathroom this morning!.......the name that is!

Every possibility that came to mind I googled.........'Frameworks'...Taken!    'Art for Art's Sake'...Taken!    'It's Art'...Taken!    'In the Frame'...Taken!    'Framed'...Taken!.........and on and on. I wanted something catchy and slightly fresher than myself! Then I found one that just might work!

Set as it is somewhere in Camden Town, London......an area full of Street Art, Fashion, Music and Fun is my ever so slightly off centre Picture Restoration and Reframing Store................  

AS004.jpg

Oh. My. God. I just............you know, that could get you your own reality show.

Well, I was off to Lisa's to work on the big house today and the tower came off and the gable went back on. There goes my astronomy room, but really, the whole house was getting fancier than I liked. Now I have to decide whether or not to keep the window seat or replace that window with a circlehead window instead. Lisa says the window won't match the others, but it would be like the Beacon Hill window over the porch on the second floor. That doesn't match the other Beacon Hill windows either, but it looks great anyway.

Next week, the gable roof goes on and after that, just a few more things to do and I think that house will be finished. Being sawn on, that is.

I might be a little premature in this, but it looks like I will be getting a Beacon HIll.  A lady was advertising it on a Facebook forum and said it was a Greenleaf Garfield. The picture was partially blocked and I didn't click on it to enlarge it - just saw "GARFIELD" - my dream house.  Well - it's not a Garfield, it's the Beacon HIll - but the shell is all built (the part I like the least) and wired, and it has been left unfinished since 1990. I think the original owner died before she could finish it. She's asking $100 for it, so I said I would take it anyway. But now that DH is home all the time, these things take more subterfuge. Mother and I talked about it and came up with a plan. 

At this point the married men on the forum may plug your ears!  

Seems to me I owed her $100 for something, not sure what, but I'd better pay her now. So Mother will be the one "buying" it for me for my birthday next month. DH can't say anything about that - he wouldn't want to upset his sweet little 92-year-old MIL would he? :evil:  I haven't had time to do any measuring, since I'm still working at the State Fair, but I'm hoping it will fit in my car, and she and I can go alone to pick it up later this month. Otherwise DH will have to take me in his pickup - and that will not be a real exciting trip! 

• Like 3

I But now that DH is home all the time, these things take more subterfuge. Mother and I talked about it and came up with a plan. 

At this point the married men on the forum may plug your ears!  

Seems to me I owed her $100 for something, not sure what, but I'd better pay her now. So Mother will be the one "buying" it for me for my birthday next month.

My mom and I do this more often than we probably should. :D Actually, my husband hasn't even noticed (or is just choosing to ignore) the in-need-of-rehab DC Newburg I got a few weeks ago off of craigslist. Thankfully this one was only $20, but he seems to think we're running out of room for dollhouses. :dunno: Although... he's the one who was aghast at the thought of selling my first completed house. He suggested shelves over the staircase. :) 

I'm finishing up prep work for Nebraska State Day this weekend. We (Mom is going too) have a wedding at 7:00 Friday night in Kansas City, then the reception, then we drive the 2.5 hours to Omaha. A long day and a short night, but Saturday will be a blast!

• Like 1

..... Although... he's the one who was aghast at the thought of selling my first completed house. He suggested shelves over the staircase. :) 

This is a fabulous idea. I have a wall hanging in one of my stairwells that could come down in a heartbeat. :evil: oh ya ...

Edit:       Ummm .... a couple thoughts though. Would you put a mirror behind it so you could see both sides, how would you get it up there without knocking all the furnishings galley west, and how would you dust it? (I feel like the Veggie Tale character asking silly questions about the "Cebu").

• Like 1

This is a fabulous idea. I have a wall hanging in one of my stairwells that could come down in a heartbeat. :evil: oh ya ...

Edit:       Ummm .... a couple thoughts though. Would you put a mirror behind it so you could see both sides, how would you get it up there without knocking all the furnishings galley west, and how would you dust it? (I feel like the Veggie Tale character asking silly questions about the "Cebu").

1) I think a mirror would freak me out whenever I walked past. "Who/What just moved?!" I would be scared to put it up. A total klutz, I would probably drop it. We have an elliptical machine in the corner of the living room. Aaron has talked about moving it downstairs and putting a table there for a house.

2) What is this "dusting" of which you speak? ;)

3) VeggieTales FTW!

Thanks Selkie!

Now I'm singing the song of the Cebu.

Ah-choo moo-moo....

"The Song of the Cebu", the "Love my Lips" song and "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything" are all the worst to get stuck in my head.  The kiddos drag them out less now but still do from time to time and down the road I go. 

Osta!!

• Like 1

"The Song of the Cebu", the "Love my Lips" song and "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything" are all the worst to get stuck in my head.  The kiddos drag them out less now but still do from time to time and down the road I go. 

Osta!!

Let's not forget Barbara Manatee!

My Veggie Tales fan is now 16. No more random silly songs for me. :(

Awesome art supplies Mike!!!!!

I took out my "finished"  cabin and did some more work on it.   After a little break I saw a few things that I wanted to change or add on to.   I found that I went back to my Orchid that I finished a year ago and changed a few things on that.   I like going back with a new perspective after it has been sitting on the shelf for a while.  Does anyone else do this?