What's everyone working on?

Been working on the stairway for the Appleby. What a job! Just realized I've never installed a stairway before! In the last few years I have made only one-level buildings, and my bookcase dollhouse many years ago had only faux stairs, which are very easy to install. :)  I had cut the upstairs stairwell just a little too big, which I suspected, but I figured better too big than too small. So I filled that in with wood scraps, then got all the spindles glued into place on the steps, and started on the upstairs railing. Let everything dry overnight and went out this morning and it doesn't look too bad.  Seems like everything has to be done "first" on this house - can't glue the stairway in until the wallpaper is up; can't put the wallpaper up until the stairway is ready to install so and I can trace around it for the wallpaper pattern. Can't lay the upstairs flooring until the guardrail is made, but I can't install the guardrail until the flooring is down. I'm starting to feel like a hamster on his exercise wheel!  

• Like 2

today my daughters neice in law Alexis came and she Pixie and I started the Orchid house...she is sooo excited for he own dollhouse. both girls stayed with it for several hours...I will take a couple of photos

but so far we opened kit and took inventory

than we got out the main parts of the house ...they sanded edges and stained the floors we put in ceiling paper(she was sooo excited)

I let them apply all the glue themselves and they tabbed and taped it together than played on the trampoline till I said they could go ahead

we marked off the lower portion and they had fun doing the egg carton stone effect....and that is where we stopped...the box is  re-taped until I am back from Mo. and possible moved before we will get back to it....we should have wallpapered but I have a few ideas to teach her many techniques she can use for other projects.

we did so much because I wanted her to maintain her excitement of the project by seeing the fruits of her efforts so quickly. sent her home with a miniatures.com catalog cuz my new one came with my ORDER!! which she was excited for me to get....she brought it off the porch to me when they got here this morning...you should have seen her eyes when I told her the small box she had was 2 houses...rofl! but after a day in my niche she is acquainted with all the scales!

doing this project with us I think has Pixie realizing just what she snubbed her nose at the summer I built her the Laurel. and she is also talking her own build....I told her one build at a time....and she has to stay with this one till the end if she really wanted her own...of course Alexis immediately piped up Ill help her do hers when its time...LOL....and followed that with by then Adrainna can have this house I can build a bigger one.....

it was a real good day with the girls and of course my bestest mini Antonio :punk:  :punk:

• Like 7

Oh Nutti, I'm so happy your day was so wonderful. How exciting it is to be able to share a hobby. Fingers crossed for many more.

• Like 1

Yesterday I installed a peg board in my work room. It is amazing how much extra room there is on my worktable now. Now I need more pegs to hang more things. 

Oh how the simple things make me so happy!

Today I will finish the toolbox tutorial and begin the assembly of my front porch railing.

post-5895-0-48561500-1428152780_thumb.jp

• Like 1

oooooo Peg board....NICE!!  as we gear up to move the household once again...the goal is for me to have a room for the niche

and I am gathering ideas of my idea of a perfect working environment that the kidos can invade once in awhile

• Like 2

It is so versatile I never knew there were so many ways to hang things. I love the shelf brackets and I've ordered some bins so I should be so organized now.

Now I have to put it all to good use and take the time to let the creativity out.

Made some progress last night on the Appleby. Got all the downstairs wallpaper glued to acid-free cardstock.  This cute little thing is not exactly square so I am extra glad that I am not gluing the wallpaper directly to the walls. My admiration for M'Lady, who did this the first time, continues to soar!  I had no idea what all her wallpaper covered!   Bent-over nails, paint runs, gaps in the back wall, non-square corners ... she did an awesome job!  I'm wimping out and using a template. :)

• Like 1

I'm glad you liked the license plates!  Thanks so much for the compliments!  :D

I just finished my Shapeways competition scene.  I have pics in my Modern Minis album starting here:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=109748

And, on my blog as usual:

http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/making-minis-with-shapeways

• Like 1

I'm glad you liked the license plates!  Thanks so much for the compliments!   :D

I just finished my Shapeways competition scene.  I have pics in my Modern Minis album starting here:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=109748

And, on my blog as usual:

http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/making-minis-with-shapeways

Brae, I'm always speechless at your artistry. By the way, just how many projects are you working on at one time?? Wow!

• Like 1

the other day when the girls were doing the dollhouse a "nutti" happened and only yall can appreciate it 

the first thing you do when you start a kit as I was telling the girls is to put your windows some place safe....

as I told of how I had lost Lady Di's windows...so I took them and told Lexie...this is where I keep my wallpaper and your windows will be here

safest place I know and we will be doing that next.....SIGHHHHHH!!! :doh: yup by now yall know where Im going and how those girls giggles over how astonished I was that the acetate was were where it were suppose to go and I hadnt looked it there? ...for my LOST but definatly safe from even ME Lady Di windows....

I swear that house giggled right along with those girls!!! :insane:

I have to admit it was pretty dang funny but I have NO time to get back to work on her till Im finished with my gift and back from the wedding!

as for the gift....I hurt my back when putting on my shoes yesterday and have done much to it....disapointed in myself but I know this about me...I always do my best work when it has to be NOW! dont know Ive ever made a house or mini related item it didnt go wet from glue! 

I did order a light for it thanks to a link in another thread on the forum today...thanks ladies I have been unhappy of the prospect of not lighting the rose :french:

Back to the Steampunk Summerhouse; the skellies are busy taking turns flying off their ride....sigh......

Debra- you video just made me laugh - I just love the one hanging on with his legs flying out!  LOL

Last evening I spent a longer time working on some detail molding trims than my hubby (the professional) could have done in RL in half the time!  :/  Well, maybe now that I got the first one figured out, the other three will be easier?

Thanks Jackie! I love that guy too! LOL!

Working on the bay window for the Steampunk Summerhouse---once I got the windows all painted and glued in, everything looked gappy and clunky.  So broke out the strip wood and added some trim to hide all the gaps.  Yesterday when I cut a miter backwards and tried to glue a trim piece to my shirt, figured it was time to quit for the day.  Now one more window to finish and I think it's done!

I have a picture of the Neverwas Haul as wallpaper on my computer and realized that the new bay window is on the correct side and would be cool with a ship's wheel in it.  Even the cowl vent just happens to be facing the right way.....are there wheels in my future?

Thanks Jackie! I love that guy too! LOL!

...when I cut a miter backwards and tried to glue a trim piece to my shirt, figured it was time to quit for the day...

Been there, done that, I agree it's time to take a break!