What's everyone working on?

oh dear....now I'm going to have thoughts of an eerie H&G house in my head while I am trying to wrestle the wallpaper off the North park/Ellwanger House! LOL

Yeah- don't know what this guy used for wallpaper paste, but it's pretty darned permanent! Only have the 3rd floor and one room on the second floor done. whew does my shoulder hurt!

I thought I was going to be able to salvage the tapewire in this house, but somewhere during the wallpaper removal process I must have caused a short - dangit. Well, maybe I'll just work on templates for the floors, etc until I feel like tackling the hunt for the electrical problem...

• Like 1

well I went to put the Chantilly in dry fit....it was after the 3rd section was together I realised HMMMMMM...this probably not gonna come apart without an issue...so I added glue and stained the floors....today I heard...ehem..mistress have you forgotten my family? it really isnt healthy for the children to continue living is this basket....so I have decided to build for the family I already have....but if during October if I find a witch....

Dean is taking advantage of being home by starting a half scale light house...

it was nice sharing the crap room today. :banana:

Jackie, if you're truly that desparate, you might try cotton balls and nail polish remover.

In a little while DH & I are hopping aboard the f250 to play moving & transport for the Jazz Society once more. Some people play music, some sing, and we move & haul.

have you tried fabric softner?? score the paper and spray...not sure who used this trick with success

good luck!

Straight fabric softener? Hmmmm....

I tried a solution of half vinegar/ half warm water last nite....it easily removed the top layer of paper, but the under layer seems to be almost bonded permanently into the (unprimed) wood! I don't use fabric softener at all, but maybe I will have to buy a small bottle to try this out....otherwise I am going to just take my sander to the walls and simply paper over it!

I am working very slowly now on the Buttercup Christmas house. I have a paint question. I have an antique metal dollhouse stove I want to paint. I have never painted metal before. Should I buy some enamel paint? I usually use FolkArt craft paints I know they come in enamels. Thanks.

all my delicious progress has now STOPPED! the crap room is leaking more than I can deal with....so until I move EVERYTHING to the corner of the living room I am not working...and I have 3 rooms papered...wwaaaaaaa snif....give me time to place a couple of orders to do the finishing touches...once I got the house up and saw how nice the rooms are, I had to let Sir GoodWill and his family have the house...the hag agreed....she and I both think the Adams kit will work for her...cant wait to see the witch I find. :bear:

Roxy, whether it's white metal or polystyrene, if I give the piece a good light spritz coat of aerosol flat primer (Rustoleum seems to go forever!) forst it'll take regular good ol' carylic paints.

• Like 1

Seriously, what do I use to put wallpaper and floor print on wood? I've asked about two times all ready and no one has answered my question! I need to know so that I can get the correct supplies to work on my miniature room kits!

I'm sorry that I don't remember you asking, but as I have often replied to the same questions in the past, I use a flat latex primer on the wood; if it's a bumpy grain or has flaws I hit it with a light coat of spackle first and when it's bone dry I sand it smooth and then prime. I use premixed wallpaper paste from the hardware store and a wee wood roller-type burnisher intended for wallpaper borders to go over the paper to remove bubbles.

For floors, if I'm not scribing the floorboards directly into the wood I like to use wood strips. If it's not the iron-on wood veneer that I first cut into strips and "board" lengths I give the floor a coat of rubber cement and then apply rubber cement to the back of each piece and lay it as I go after the cement has dried first. If it's a flooring paper, which I have not used, I would probably treat it the same as the wallpaper, except that after priming the floor I'd first give it a coat of flat brown acrylic paint. When I use paper for floor tiles I paint the floor the color I want the grout to be and glue the "tiles" in place with tacky glue.

Seriously, what do I use to put wallpaper and floor print on wood? I've asked about two times all ready and no one has answered my question!

sorry I didnt see the question either

I like to use white spray paint and give each inside wall a light even coat...lightly sand and than apply mod-podge...wall paper glue...to the wall and the paper...apply just as you would for your own wallpaper.

Yup- what they said! First I spackle anywhere it may need, give it a light sanding when dry, and then I use a water-based primer on all of my walls before I wallpaper/paint. I use Grandma Stover's wallpaper paste to install wallpaper. Not everyone likes it, but I've had pretty good results with it. I also use a small brayer meant for RL wallpaper borders to roll out any air bubbles.

If the floors are to be scored and stained, I do that before I primer. I mask off the floors and then primer the walls. If I use one of those sheets of flooring, I do all of the staining/varnishing first, then install with a quik grab glue - weighting down the flooring with heavy books until dry.

Hope everyone has answered your question, Kent. If not- perhaps re-state your question and ask again! :)

Yorkie-This is not a good thread to ask questions in, this thread tends to become a running conversation between 4 or 5 members and everything else is lost. Ask questions in a new post in general mini talk so that you and others can see the answers and benefit from them. We would certainly never ignore anyone on purpose:)

• Like 1

have you tried fabric softner?? score the paper and spray...not sure who used this trick with success

good luck!

That was MiniMadWoman (Teresa) who discovered the Downy-on-a-washrag trick to remove wallpaper on her BH rehab. She said that not only did it take off the wallpaper easily but it freshened up the smell of the old house and made it spring clean again.

Nutti, I'm sorry your crap room is still a waterfall but it tickled me to hear that Dean adopted the half scale lighthouse. A couple who minis together, stays together. LOL! Dean is a good builder too so keep us posted on his progress as well as your own.

I'm definitely back in mini-mode now. Lynette helped me get my bigger houses staged again and all the chattering we did about dollhouses and minis got me motivated so now all of my dollhouses are out and furnished properly again. Yay!!!! But they all look so naked without the landscaping that I'm quickly moving forward with the idea of putting Noch grass directly on the display tables and making movable landscaping features so I don't have to worry about bases anymore. I have one table covered with a roll I had in my stash and the Willowcrest and the French Cafe are settled on it and ready for their landscaping. The real exciting news this morning was that I found the base for my Emerald Fairy's house! That's the one that was on the cover of AM magazine and while I was positive that I'd seen the base since we moved I couldn't find it anywhere. This morning it hit me and I made a mad dash (okay, so I hobbled quickly) to the closet in the studio and looked behind the boxes and there it was still wrapped in the black plastic I'd encased it in for the move! Wooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooo!!! It needs to have the coffee and moss freshened up in a few places but the garden is intact and that's the main thing. I'm not sure I would have taken the time and effort to duplicate it so finding the base made me super, super happy. Guess what I'll be doing today? <grinning> I can't wait to get the fairy back into her backyard. Now if I can only remember where I put the fairy......................

• Like 3

Biggest issue with wallpaper removal is getting the water underneath the paper to dissolve the glue:

I have one of those tracing wheels to puncture the paper - soak it - and it peels off.