What's everyone working on?

Debra, I found another source for our Steampunkery this morning! Last week I bought a grab bag at a garage sale for 50 cents. It had the insides of a music box in it. There are a lot of cogs and other parts in it. I broke it up this morning. There is a photo on the blog. Just poke "my blog changes daily". Lots of goodies to use. Now I'm wondering about wind up toys.....

So I drove to the store, got a new ink cartridge so I could print out some more wallpaper. I started wallpapering the kitchen and somehow managed to paper two of the walls backwards!!! :p Even when I label and dryfit I do it in reverse!!! :bangin:

• Like 1

got into the workroom tonight and started the finishing touches of the 1/2 scale Rosedale.....I only had the fence half around the yard when I decided I needed a stone walk way to the door...sigh....and while Im at it I will do the same to the already completely mossed still wet 1/4 scale cottage...sigh....so now both houses have some type of moss on them and walkways to be grouted tomorrow....I made some vines...not sure if I will use them but hey it was an experiment

I did manage to get some of my supplies to finish up the hutches I have started but I am having too much fun planning for Halloween...

going to be making haunted trees with the grans....cant wait to see how those come out....have my masking tape and TP rolls but I could use a whole box of foil before we get started...

I have been idle so long that I find myself with so much to so...so I do as much as wet glue allows.

oh and I do NOT like my set up...it is a HUGE mess with one little area that I am working on....WTHeck happened to all that organization??? :bangin:

it is dern inconvenient!!!

so Ive got to rethink it! :bear:

• Like 1

Hey Casey! Great idea on the music box! There's always funky resin music boxes at the thrift store, will have to check it out. Wind up toys might not have much in them, but it sure is worth a look for the right price. Even if gears turn out to be plastic, they can be painted with metallic paint and fit right in with the metal parts.

Drum Roll, Please ... :cheers: I FINALLY got some mini time yesterday and got the stairs and banisters installed in my micro Georgian Townhouse! Since I have added lights (6 of them!) that were not part of the original design, I stated working on a base for the house to sit on, where I can hide the wires and the battery. I'm finally coming down to the more interesting part of the build - the decoration and landscaping. I've got a box full of people who just can't wait for the party to begin!

• Like 2

Debra, I found another source for our Steampunkery this morning! Last week I bought a grab bag at a garage sale for 50 cents. It had the insides of a music box in it. There are a lot of cogs and other parts in it. I broke it up this morning. There is a photo on the blog. Just poke "my blog changes daily". Lots of goodies to use. Now I'm wondering about wind up toys.....

That's sheer genius. Thrift stores have tons of music boxes and all those old jewelry boxes with the plastic twirly ballerina. I just remembered that there's a music box in the tub of old brass items in the garage so I may have Bruce haul it out for me soon. Debra, the kitchen timer idea is inspired too. I might as well gut it since I'm not using it for cooking anyway. LOL!

I'm soooooooooooo tempted to get out of bed and go stage my Willowcrest. It's been calling to me about wanting to have its furnishings unpacked and put properly in their places. Maybe tomorrow..........

How long ago was the White Orchid unleashed on the world? 2006? I started building mine in 2008 as a Santa's elf house & workshop in a mushroom, with inspiration from the dark forests of Bohemia. The center dormer was closed off from the inside and the window became a doorway to a nest for a cuckoo. The house is pretty much finished, documented with three entries in my Greenleaf blog, starting here. Deb asked me to put photos in the shared White Orchid gallery, and I promised to do so as soon as I made the cuckoo. Well, fast forward to 2014, and wait with me while the cuckoo's polyclay body cools and I round up the paint and feathers to finish him.

As soon as he's finished I'll give the cottage a good dusting and take beau coup pictures, Deb -- I promise!

• Like 3

I decided to leave "backwards" as it was and just switch rooms. Its a lot easier than going bald from pulling my hair out! :pullhair: I am actually enjoying messing with it.

I am not taking it as a "serious" house.....just fun playing on hot summer days ( with hugh t-storms in the afternoon) :bigwink:

As soon as he's finished I'll give the cottage a good dusting and take beau coup pictures, Deb -- I promise!

Oh yay!!!!!! It'll be worth the wait too. I love your little white orchid and all the fun things you were doing for the elves. It's a realistic setting that could make me believe in elves because it's the sort of foresty home that I've always thought elves would live in. It's going to be great to revisit that house as you finish up the last detail.

All this talk of gears and music box innards is making me want to do a steampunk house! I haven't had much time for minis lately, but I'm still plugging along at the tiny Orchid from the Christmas village. It's shaping up to be a shabby chic house.

• Like 1

:hmm: Although I'm fascinated with the steam punk projects being shared, I have no interest in doing any myself. Usually I can't help myself from trying out new things. Keep the eye candy coming! :D

• Like 1

I'm still cutting out pieces for my cross stitch windmill music box! I don't currently have a windmill in my collection (at least not a completed one!) and I saw the kit in an eBay auction for a low price and free shipping and I figured I'd make it. Didn't like the song choice of the movement provided so i bought another movement off of eBay to use. I just wish i could find a Windmill of Your Mind craft movement but I have yet to see one.

I actually built and finished a roombox...lol. I have had these roombox kits for years now. anyway, I posted photos under the gallery. so excited! just need to finish the furniture. I have another roombox in the works. it will be mostly pink but I haven't gone thru my wallpaper stash to see what I have :)

• Like 2

Margarita I saw your photos in the gallery....I loved your room box and I can't remember if I commented.

I am still changing my mind daily on what my Buttercup should look like. It went from 2 rooms ( the way its set up), to 4 rooms, back to 3 rooms and now 2 rooms again. I think smaller size houses are much harder to work with sometimes. Its hard to limit yourself to just the space you have ( as in a room box) when you have so many ideas. I toyed with adding a basement but that might be a bit beyond my available tools and skills. :p

• Like 1

I glued together the remaining two walls of Washington's shell and she's drying while our yard gets mowed. I had a godawful early dental appointment this AM, so afterwards we went out to breakfast and then hit the shopping center across the street where the local hobby shop recently moved. I got a whole wad of mini basswood millwork, a pack of 1:12 toys and some wee white metal figures to paint as bric-a-brac for the dhs. Then we hit Good Will and I found a scarf and a grey maxi skirt with pockets!.

• Like 2

I got these embossed book boxes at Pier 1 and am working on making one of them into a half scale roombox with a spiral staircase made from a wooden fan. I followed this tutorial for the staircase and finished it today. I'm planning to post a blog with step by step pics, but until then here's a sneak peek.

It was a lot of finicky work and I think it could have turned out better, but I've never done anything like this before, so I'm happy with it as a first attempt! The spindles are made from cut-down toothpicks and the railing is suede cord from the jewelry section of Joann's, with a coat of Mod Podge to make it stiff.

post-7-0-37638100-1406787919_thumb.jpg post-7-0-04426500-1406787917_thumb.jpg post-7-0-22577400-1406787914_thumb.jpg

I cut the dowel too short so needed a rather large piece of wood to anchor it, but I'm planning to cover that up with a "shade" made from fan pieces. I'll paint the shade glossy black like the stairs, and thought having gold peeking out underneath might make it look like a fancy light fixture. We'll see...

• Like 6