How do you organize everything?

Jackiem

I seem to spend more time searching for a certain tool, or pulling everything out and organizing it in a "better" way. I need some ideas! As I was putting away my silverware today I realized that the silverware tray was a great container for my small screwdrivers, files,saw blades and other small items that always seem to get mixed together in any other container. My silverware is now sitting in a big bowl on the counter. I also have all of my coworkers bring me the side dish containers from KFC, they are small and are great for storing mini things and mixing paint. So what do you do to keep organized?

Jackie

I use a lot of plastic storage boxes. The ones that have dividers in them. The kind that you get at the craft stores. cheap. But the areas are small and the covers come down to the compartments so nothing can jump out into another compartment. lol. Good for pots, pans, baskets etc. I also use food containers for ribbon, etc. My material is in an under bed storage box. My husband put storage units in a closet that I stack all the smaller containers on. Of course I don't have closet doors now so I TRY to keep it neat. I label all the boxes with what is in them. Kitchen supplies, Christmas, etc. Even with all of that I still have to dig for stuff sometimes.

I bought a large toolbox or tackle box (I don't remember which section it was in now) after reading an article in an old Nutshell News about a guy who kept all of his tools and smaller supplies in one for taking to mini workshops. It has a couple of tiered trays with compartments of varying sizes which I stow things like rulers, calipers, knives, nails, hinges, small clamps, bits for the rotary tool, small saws, etc.. Underneath I store the larger items, like the rotary tool, saws, larger clamps, sanding blocks, sandpaper, etc.. I use plastic pencil boxes I pick up on clearance to store small loose items awaiting use or parts for a project; since they are clear, you can see at a glance what's inside.

I have lots of shelves and drawers in the craft room...mostly other peoples cast off furniture :lol: ...i also use tubs baskets and the plastic containers...however...i recently moved the whole lot into a bigger room... :) ...fabulous new space but i cant find a thing!!! :(

I'm still working at organization. I bought a cheap utility cart on wheels. I am going to get some plastic dividers for tools, paintbrushes etc.

The bottom has a box with pieces like steps, railings needed for current project. I was hoping to put all my paints on the bottom as well.

To store dollhouse furnishings I purchased a cheap plastic lidded container. I need to find something to store leftover materials from builds.

Janet

In my workroom walk-in closet I have three of those large stackable plastic drawer organizers-the one with three drawers and wheels on the bottom. Each drawer is labeled: Flooring, wallpaper, componants (windows, doors, stair parts ,etc), lumber (misc small pieces that are too small for my other storing unit, skinny sticks, etc), fabric, landscaping, accessories (teeny tiny stuff and electrical items), paint, and the one drawer is saved for misc items for the house I am currently working on.

Under my work bench I have another smaller set of those drawers for my tools. For all of my mouldings, I took a hint from something I saw in a gallery posting, I think-I saved paper towel tubes and stuck them upright in a small plastic crate. Now I have all of my mouldings sorted and stored in a corner. :lol:

Now I have to confess that my "workroom" has expanded to the adjoining small room in our lower level... :) (too many projects at once, and not enough room). On the left side of that work table I have an old Tupperware craft container to store some tools, plus I have a tray in front of that where I just have a messy pile of my EZ Cutter, scissors, small moulding pieces, etc. :( On the wall to my left I have a small shelf unit that my hubby made for one of my daughter's dorm room when she was in college. Well, since it is now stored here, I thought I might as well put it to good use! It has all the other project stuff organized in plastic baskets.

Took me a while to get things organized to this point, but it now works! :)

My workroom is always being re-organized. I have had this one for almost 15 years and at least twice a year I get a bee in my bonnet to do it differently. If you want to see some of the different ways it has been arranged, go to my blog and then to "labels" on the side bar. Way down at the bottom is "workroom". Don't be afraid of the mess that reoccures in the entries. It does get better....Over and over again.LOL Just poke "My blog changes daily" below my signature.

I have two rolling carts, (the ones with three drawers each)...I have a drawer for tools, a drawer for sanding things, etc., and then in each drawer by tool it's kept in a sandwich baggie that has the zip seal...(so all my cutting type tools and blades are in 1 baggie, all my jewelry tools are in a baggie, etc.)...

Then I have big clear plastic containers for other things...(so a plastic container holds all my dremel tools and dremel), a big tote size holds all my furniture, another tote size holds all my full scale building supplies, and smaller containers hold half scale building supplies and then supplies per house...(everything is clear so I can see through it, and they all have lids that lock...and everything stacks on top of each other in a closet behind my work table...

I organize and then label the plastic bins and then, re-organize. I work best with all of my things around me. Once they are put away, I search for hours before I have everything I need. This year I have a vow to do better. So far, that's hit or miss depending on the project LOL. My work area is getting messy again! :)

I use baskets, rolling drawers of all sizes and shapes, small, clear, labeled plastic bins (shoebox size), big labeled storage boxes, pegboard, cupboards, shelves everywhere - even over door casings, and basically every available surface that one could pile something on. I have some wonderful huge empty cans and oatmeal boxes that I got from the school cafeteria for standing things up.

My craft rooms (one for cleaner hobbies like sewing and hand crafts and a second one for fine arts and other painting and messy stuff) are ALWAYS a wreck unless I'm having company and they got cleaned up. But if they are clean, nothing is happening in them. We also have an unheated wood shop for all my the power tools and the big wood projects but that gets invaded by the rest of the family for their stuff too.

I don't have any place to display finished things yet. I'm hoping for some shelves someday in sort of a library-ish format in my living areas downstairs.

Accurately sorted bins and good labeling is my best advice to anyone setting up a workspace. Second would be keeping similarly grouped activities together and messy separate from clean activities.

I LOVE organizing stuff. So organizing all my mini things and tools was right up my alley. I have a drawer each of: paint/sealers, tape/adhesives, sand paper/blocks, clamps, paintbrushes, and one for the misc stuff I use frequently (q-tips, microfiber cloth for sand dust, exacto knife, etc). For my mini furniture, I have them all organized by room and each room has it's own plastic tub. It saves a lot of time knowing where everything is when I need it, rather than spenidng time hunting for it :)

Organized? What's that? LOL!! I must say I try but it is a never ending struggle. I do not have enough room, I am stuffed into our spa/4 season room 10 ft x 12 ft. (DH had confiscated the two finished basement rooms I had my eye on for his office and a workout room when we moved into the house) Had a removable wooden floor built and put over our in floor hot tub, (we never use it) added a work table and storage cabinet for tools under it along one wall. There is one of those portable Black and Decker" Work Mates" that hold my mini saw, scroll saw, mini cut off saw an a compound miter saw next to the work table. On the opposite wall a large drawing table that has the Montclair sitting on it and under that sits my daughter's dollhouse waiting to be refinished. Along the window wall are bookcases and rolling drawer cabinets that hold various supplies, boxed kits and project boxes. My wood trim supplies are sorted and stored in tubes in a corner. There is one wire baker's rack that holds some of my finished projects and a couple of kits waiting to be started. In the middle of the room are several of the rolling tv carts, two which hold the kit for the Coaching House and another one that holds the MTC that I am building for a fund raiser for my rescue group. Under all of them are various plastic boxes and other boxes that hold various and sundry things that I need for the ongoing projects. Problem is they are stacked and piled in no particular order and although I do try and label every thing I still wind up searching for just about everything I need. Just too much stuff!!!

huh? I'm supposed to organize? oh well learn something new here daily...... :-)

on a serious (sort of) note a lot of my stuff is on my special dh table that will be where my house lives. I need my tools out so they are in a carry container like the ones that go under sinks. by where I have been working sitting on my loveseat I have a long tupper container with 'things' in it. You 'don't' want a photo of these places.

On the shelf under dh table is a 3 drawer gizmo with paints and things that need cushions and other attention. Totes are under there holding the many items that will go in the dh or on the outside in the yard. I am planning a special spot for the many dalmations found at yard sales to include a huge kennel. Maybe I am working on the 101. lol That will go on the base of another table though.

I think each person has to do their own thing finding totes, baskets and such. as I paint something it has to go aside for a while so it doesn't get nicked for example. containers from yard sales are great for this so I am not overwhelmed with cost. even cut off boxes at grocery store works.

someone posted a craft drawer unit with 5 drawers (I think). looked awesome and would always be used for things for speculation or current tools and such.

I have a sheet to cut in half then sew a casing for elastic to have around the table edge so I don't have to see everything down there. this is for when house is pretty much done and I can enjoy just looking at it. The table is on 6 wheels and will pull out for working at the back. the back doesn't need covering just the front so it's tidy.

wishing you well.

LindaC

I have a tool box for tools, a large plastic box for spare furniture, 5 x smaller plastic boxes for accessories, lighting, garden. I have 2 boxes that sit on a shelf under my workbench, one containing fabrics and the other, just about everything else - glues, tapes, etc. The shelf under that has cardboard laid flat, my cutting board, rolls of wallpaper, and a bag of balsa. I think it's reasonably organised until I want something and then can I find it????

i have 20 cardboard boxes underneath my dollhouse.

they contain different stuff that i find handy to keep on hand like

fimo, waterbased paint, glue, embroidery stuff, wood, and so on.

then i have two big drawers, in there are 15 containers with dividers, for bead storage and little ornaments.

i have a small toolbox reserved for mini tools only

and there are about 15 big plastic crates, that can be stacked.

one filled with fabric, two filled with mouldings-trim-wood, 2 filled with furniture, one filled with all kinds of papers, coloured, heavy, light, transferpaper paper and so on.

now,this seems very orderly but its not.

this huge stacks of crates, well there is no room for it anywhere, really.

it seems to be always in the way.

so i call it my temporary art :)

Honestly, I think I'm gonna have my DH read this thread- just to prove that it isn't just me that seems to have a space buldging to the brim with mini stuff! :)

It's nice to know that one is not alone in our obsession. :(

I have a rolling toolcart (like mechanics), a pro-grade toolbox and I've lost count how mini tackle boxes (but if I owned stock in Plano I'd have made me some hefty dividends); large coffee cans; all old shoeboxes; an old bookcase; a stack of four large Rubbermaid drawer-boxes; and bagsful of stuff spilling all over. Organized? Ha!

I use the stacked clear rubbermaid carts. I have one cart for paints and two carts for everything else. Then have a few 'hobby' cupboards and drawers.

Its good to organise your thoughts and ideas and inspirational photos too! I made this project board with a yard of fabric and a piece of builders foam. The fabric is tacked onto the back of the foam with quilt tacks. Then I just nailed it to the wall on the top and middle and bottom. It took me about 20 minutes total to make. I know its not that great,but it really helps me to remember all the things I want to use and do (someday) :hug: A smaller one could be made with a piece of foam core.