dollhosue kitchens

Boone828

i have been looking for kitchens for my colonial dollhouse, and they are so expensive. how do you guys make your cabinets or where do you buy them to cut cost some? Or do you just save for the big kitchens? They are so beautiful, but I just can't afford them, or they don't have a feature I would like to see. I want the stove, refridgerator, etc to be very realistic looking and modern. Any suggestions on this?

Kitchen cabinets are basically boxes or blocks

...check out this blog - you can email Kris for patterns...

1 inch minis Kitchen roombox

Kris makes her cabinets & appliances from solid blocks of wood, then adds drawers, doors, etc.

Off the top of my head, 1:12 scale:

Counters: height > 2-7/8" block + 1/8" sheet x 2" deep, with a splash board 3/8"h x 1/8" thick

Upper cabinets: 1" deep x 1"h over fridge or 2"-3"h over counters. 1" or so above the counters.

You can look at the measurements of real cabinets or miniature ones online.

Nice cabinets VaL & Labrown ! :)

i am really working on plans to make my own kitchen cabinets and whatnot, but am still thinking of buying the stove, fridge, and sink component. i really want the kitchen to have modern appliances. I am also looking into building my own dining room table and hutch area...if i can get creative enough. I am a little intimidated by all of this though

1/8" & 1/16" basswood works for me. I also have used craft sticks to make kitchen cupboards & cabinets. Working drawers can be a bit tricky, if you have to have them. I made all the furniture in the Fairfields (except for two brass beds and the bathroom fixtures)/

I love the Houseworks cabinets, there's so much you can do with them. Here's how I used them for a modern kitchen in the Orchid. In retrospect, the dishwasher should have been white. :)

I'm going to use these cabinets again for the kitchen in my 1:12 Hillside Victorian (whenever I get around to it!) For that one, I'm sticking with white appliances because the "stainless" you can buy now don't look very realistic to me. I've been thinking there must be a model paint that would look better, something available for model cars. I'm planning to build cabinets for my half scale Fairfield and Rosedale using a Nutshell News project (I'll have to change the dimensions since the original project was for 1:12 scale). I might try my hand at creating stainless appliances for those.

Nice job with the kits. I keep looking at them at HBS. I also, think that the cabinet manufactures could come up with a better "stainless steel. I bought a stainless dishwasher and was so unhappy with it that I primed it and painted it white!

:)

Besides cost, the kitchens I've found online haven't matched my kitchen's layout, so I'm building my own. I just posted a pic of the unfinished cabinets in my gallery.

If I can find a lit oven and fridge I'll budget for them, otherwise I'll make those too.

In the first issue of DHM after the most recent sale to Ashdown there were several DIY articles for 1:24 items that included a stove I've made twice; once for La casita and again for the Fairfields. It would be a simple matter to double the dimensions to make it in 1:12. Jeremy, if you want an older kitchen, the Chrysnbon wood-burning kitchen range comes with a small hole through which to thread a gow bulb.

Besides cost, the kitchens I've found online haven't matched my kitchen's layout, so I'm building my own. I just posted a pic of the unfinished cabinets in my gallery.

If I can find a lit oven and fridge I'll budget for them, otherwise I'll make those too.

if you find an oven and fridge that you like, its very simple to add lights yourself! you just need to drill a hole in the back, slide one of these lights and put a piece of tape to keep the wire in place. :)

I made my own kitchen cabinets for my Beacon hill.

The best thing to do is go to a furniture store, go to the kitchens section and grab a few free leaflets on the dimensions of the units and scale them down to 1:12. There are many ways to make hinges and you can buy mini ones too, but I'd definitely invest in a archimedes drill or pin vice and micro drill bits to add hinges.

I used parts of the actual left overs from the Beacon hill kit (plywood cut outs) and sawed them to the size I wanted, sanded them down with an electric sander, painted them in acrylics and used sticky back black plastic for the surfaces. wanted a modern kitchen and the plastic has this really fine grain to it and made it look like miniature stone and there are lots of different types. The AGA splash back is made from very thin sheet metal like the extractor fan.

Normal wood adhesive is used to glue the bits of wood together to make the cabinets. Mine are very sturdy.