Lighthouse

angie q

My husbad got his "model" lighthouse today and has already started to challenge me.....he says his lighthouse is going to outshine my dollhouse.

He has asked me to ask if anyone has actually made the lighthouse light work in the same fashion a real lighthouse light would work??? Is it possible to make something that would fit the 1 inch scale and spin(not too fast).

Any IDEAS??

There was some discussion on this a while ago, about the time that the Greenelaf Lighthouse came out. But I'm not sure if anything productive was actually reached. For mine, I got a votive holder with an interesting pattern in the glass, and used one of those bulbs that clip into the bottoms of village houses. It doesn't spin, but still looks nice.

No ideas on the spinning - but I know the beacon tower light can flciker on/off. I didn't use that bulb as the on/off gave me a headache. My lighthouse is sitting in the basement. As soon as spring hits, I am sealing the crap out of it and putting it outside

• 1 month later...

Oooh look at me bumping an old post. Did you ever find any light? Cir-kit has a beacon/lighthouse light that doesn't turn but it blinks in a ramp-up/dim-off pattern that replicates the effect of a rotating beacon. I haven't actually held it in my grubby little hands yet but I am planning to get one and make a lighthouse for my hubby's O-gauge train. They have it in three sizes, the biggest being the size you'd want for 1" scale.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Evans Designs has an LED kit that mimics the rotation of a light house light. With only one light it is not bright enought but they can add up to five lights. I am putting them in an old shot glass that looks very similiar to a lighthouse light. Will post photos when done. Search lighthouse on this site for photos of the floors I will be using for the LH.

• 2 months later...

There was some discussion on this a while ago, about the time that the Greenelaf Lighthouse came out. But I'm not sure if anything productive was actually reached. For mine, I got a votive holder with an interesting pattern in the glass, and used one of those bulbs that clip into the bottoms of village houses. It doesn't spin, but still looks nice.

I used a bubble looking crystal glass and put the same clip type bulb inside it. Looks nice, but mine does not spin either. I can't figure out how to make it spin. But if you put a piece of tin foil on one side it would reflect the light out in one direction.

Kellee

• 4 months later...