Orchid Roofing Help

kawinkle

I managed to shingle the back portion of the Orchid and one section under one of the smaller dormer windows. I am not going for a perfect look so I didn't do any measuring or lines, I just eyeballed where the rows should go. I also am cutting the shingles that came with it down to smaller squares.I like the whimsical way it is coming out but I am having so much trouble cutting the shingle at the right angles to go around the dormer and where the dormers meet the roof line to work on those. Is there any method out there to cut these easier? I would usually use an exacto knife to cut them but trying to get the angle right is difficult and if you try to push on the shingles at all they break or split. Help! It has taken me months to get brave enough to even start shingling and now I am scratching my head in wonderment! AHHHH! I've looked at a few websites and I see these neat little shingles going up the dormer side before the rest of the shingles are places but I just can't seem to find the right math to make mine work. Especially since I am sort of freehanding these.

When I'm cutting shingles angled to fit a dormer seam, 1) I fold a piece of paper with the straight edge even with the bottom of the roof and the crease along the angle where the dormer adjoins the main roof, and I use that to draw the angle onto the shingle; 2) I use my EZ Cutter to cut the shingle; 3) and I use the first cut shingle as a template to cut the rest.

I am almost done with the flat part of the roof, just need to do the dormers. Once I resigned myself to the fact that this is a whimsical house and didn't have to be perfect, I began to see the house differently. The lines of shingles aren't perfectly straight, there are some weird angles cut along the roofline and there are small shingles here and there to compensate, but I think all in all it is turning out wonderfully. Once the shingles are painted, I will add some dried moss here and there to cover really obvious mistakes and give it a little more of a whimsical feel and I think it will be perfect. The strange shingling job just adds more character to the house and Fiona the fairy is blaming the gnomes for the crooked shingling, after all, it's a little hard for them to reach the roof even on a ladder! LOL

I would have to learn how to make the mushrooms, I haven't touched my polymer clay in ages! I need to start using it in mini scale! Such a cute idea though!!!! Got a tutorial for the mushrooms?! LOL