8/02/06 Pet Games

well milo doesnt play much he mostly likes to lounge.

but in his younger days we played the sock game and he was wild for his sock.

to the point of knocking our Christmas tree over 2 yrs in a row.

you take a sock and roll its mate into a ball and stuff it into the first sock.

than toss...kind of like fetch but he almost NEVER gave that sock up willingly

of course Im sure he thought it was part of the game.

the boys would have him jumping over the furniture to get the sock

and his other favorite game in his youth with the boys was "bet you cant catch me"

he would run from them and wait till they caught up and run some more

when they realised they werent gonna get him they would come home without him and I would whistle out the door and here he would come. Im sure he wore a very smug look on his face.

nutti <_<

When my border collie was a little younger we would play pitch and catch. I would throw her a soccer ball and she would bounce it off her head for me to catch. She just loved about any game that involved a soccer ball. She would bounce the ball really close to me so I did not have to "fetch." She would play until I had to give up.

Trinity loves to play hide 'n seek with me. She "anticipates" where she thinks I'm going to go and hide. I love to surprise her with new hiding places.

Dudley's favourite game is "I missed you and I'm glad you're home". As he's old and getting a little senile, he'll ask to go out the front door. I open the door and he heads down the pathway towards the back yard. I go into the kitchen and watch him walk into the back yard (we have a cutout in the fence that he uses to get into the back yard), then I open the back door and greet him "I missed you and I'm glad you're home". He comes into the kitchen and heads back through to the front door and we do it again, and again, and again ......

Missy likes me to put my hand under the sheets on the bed and she pounces on my hand. She always uses her claws so it's more fun for her than for me.

-Susanne

Callie likes to 'chase the dot' -- one of those laser pens. She'll swing round & round for hours if you let her. This week, in the heat, her favorite game is "lay on my back and air my tummy".

Jasmine likes to have someone swing her "kitty rope" while she pounces on it -- it's just an old tie from an ancient pair of sweats -- she carries room to room hoping one of us will play (of course, she's so cute, how could we not?)

I almost hate to answer this question... but what can I say we have a very weird dog. When we got him he wanted nothing to do with me at all - he was clearly ONLY my son's dog... well after about a year I finally got down on his level - all fours and started growling at him.. he though that was very funny and finally started warming up to me.. but he Still wouldn't come when I called him. I could call him all day and he'd run in the oposite direction. One day I got so fed up I that I'm turning red in the face and yelling (in front of the neighbors) "I"m going to kick your a**"... well the dog also found that funny started wagging his tail and ran right up to me <_< So now we play the "I'm gonna kick your a**" game - I yell the game name at him he get's all happy and runs in circles and jumps around, wags his tail and barks at me .. go figure but it makes him happy.

-David

I have two rescued chihuahuas. Both had sad lives before they came to me, but they have learned to live together and sometimes will acknowledge that I'm just a little bit more than the hand that feeds them. They don't acknoweldge the rest of the family at all. Neither one of them knows what play is all about.

Annie is black with white markings. JoJo is white with tan markings. Annie was picked up wandering on the streets and appeared to have been living on her wits for a long time. JoJo was pampered by his owner but abused by his owner's husband and stepsons, so he brought a different menu to the table.

The picture was taken shortly after the two of them met.

This picture was taken 5 years ago, but it could have been taken this evening. You've got to love 'em!

When my border collie was a little younger we would play pitch and catch. I would throw her a soccer ball and she would bounce it off her head for me to catch. She just loved about any game that involved a soccer ball. She would bounce the ball really close to me so I did not have to "fetch." She would play until I had to give up.

Hi Sharon,

Your story reminded me of our dog's other favorite game <_< We didn't get him till he was about 4 years old and I don't know much about his past but aside from the I'm going to kick your butt game.. he also likes the Balloon game. He loves balloons. We blow one up, tie it's end and toss it to him and he jumps up and bounces it off his nose back to you.. I have no clue where he learned this game but he sure does enjoy it! The only problem is if the balloon hits the ground it gets popped pretty quickly - Come to think of it.. perhaps we should call it the "kill the balloon" game LOL

-David

Napoleon likes to play fetch. Yes, he's a cat. A very, very confused cat. If I toss his little rabbit fur mice, he'll go pick them up in his mouth and bring them back and drop them in my hand, then wait for me to toss it again. When he gets bored or tired, he starts dropping them on the floor a little further away and gives me a reproachful look as if he's getting annoyed with being the only one doing any work.

He likes paper balls too. I used to bring a lot of work home with me when he was a kitten and I'd occasionally crumple up a piece of paper and toss it at the trash can. Being a bad shot, it would usually land on the floor and Napoleon would "kill" it. He's 11 years old now and still goes on point like a golden retriever whenever he hears a piece of paper rattle.

The "red bug" (laser pointer) is a real favorite. If the red bug goes up the wall where he can't reach it, he sits and chatters at it--the siamese version of cussing. What confuses him is when he bites the red bug and it disappears. He sits there flicking his tongue around trying to figure out why red bugs have no flavor.

Without a doubt, the most serious game he plays is the "milk ring jitterbug". You know those rings you pull off of the cap of a milk jug? If I toss one of those on the floor, it becomes some kind of outlaw that must be subdued. (my kitchen is always safe from renegade milk rings) When he sees one, he drops low to the ground and locks his radar in on it. His tail fluffs up to twice it's normal size and he jumps straight up into the air, screams "bonsaaaaaaaaiii!!" and comes down on tip toe over the milk ring. I can't quite describe what happens next, but it involves all four feet spinning in circles simultaneously.......but each foot goes in a different direction. It kinds sounds like putting $20 worth of pennies in a blender.

Deb

I play the ignoring the dog game when I'm eating. My Boston terrier had started barking for little tidbits, so I taught him to sneeze for his food instead -- less noise. Now I ignore him and he sneezes until I can't stand it any longer. He always gets something...who can resist a dog that sneezes for his food? He's a very comical dog!! He has a wonderful smile!

Quite a while ago my son had a pet rat whom I got to love very much :D He had a large cage and also had the run of my son's room during the day. His cage had a front door and also a flap on the top, when he got strong enough he would climb out the top and the entire family sat round the cage cheering him on. He was marvellously agile and could climb anything, including me! His favourite game was to lurk just under the bed and I'd pick him up and toss him gently on the bed. He quickly ran down to his pick up spot and we'd go on like that for a while. He loved oatmeal and made tiny noises of pleasure when he had a little dish of it for breakfast <_<

After Ratty I wanted a pet that would live a lot longer and now I have my dachshund Indy. We play silly games making noises and pushing into each other :p At night he has to have some medicine and to make this nicer for him I decided to give him a box (cereal, tea or whatever) with a piece of meat in it afterwards. He loves to shred that box and is expert at unwrapping things - this is fun for him at Christmas too. He never lets me forget to give him his medicine. If I ever I do not have a box I ask him to sit and stay and I go into another room and call him and give him his meat. Funny that he enjoys that and prefers it to just getting his meat.

He also plays a barking game with my husband, he obviously considers this a man's game, I do not get to play it ever. He has a rope and we play tugging the rope, this he will play only with me (since he damaged his shoulder one day out walking), he knows I am always gentle and he can enjoy the game without getting hurt. Indy and I are partners and are always together.

Dachshunds are well known for being willful and not obedient at all ;) , I have always thought Indy is not obedient at all but does things entirely to please me :(. The only thing I am serious about is for him never to cross the road without permission (he always walks without a lead). Two years ago he got lost from outside a shop (my son wanted to buy me a miniature surprise). Indy found his way home after four hours from an unfamiliar part of London, crossing several large very busy roads. We were out desperately searching for him and were getting frantic as it started to get dark but then came one of the best phonecalls ever, he had got home!! B) :):D:)

I used to take him to the park on my bicycle - he enjoyed sitting in his basket and stuck his head out so he could enjoy the breeze in summer as we whizzed downhill. Out walking he runs towards me and we look at each other and he is laughing showing his white teeth, we both enjoy that :p

He takes an interest in my miniatures. occasionally when I am dusting things he'll sit beside me and ask to sniff and examine every item being very gentle and respectful, isn't that cute??

I dare say you can tell he is the best!

Zippy

Our cats like to play with long peacock feathers (hence the victorian peacock feather planter) that I pick up at the local plant,feed, whatnot shop for $1 a piece. My animals are old so there isnt much playing around anymore. They are more of the shuffleboard set now.

I grew up with a Himilayan that would play fetch. I would throw rolled up ball of paper across the house and Mia would tear after it and bring it back. When he got tired, he would sit on the ball.

Pokie, our beagle, used to growl on cue. We would say *sic em* and she would Grrrrrr. and then lick the person! LOL Made em practically wet their pants. She would never hurt a fly. If you pulled her tail (not hard) she would go in circles trying to catch it.

My cat, Miss Boo, absolutely loves her "Cat Dancer"...its a long piece of wire with twisted paper pieces attached to the end of it so when you hold one end, the paper pieces kinda float around in the air, you make it twist and turn....she goes ballistic whenever I pull it out to play with her. I have had to replace it a few times.

Spock, our border collie mix, doesn't play games. Never has. We adopted him when he was about six from the pound. We have had him six years. He loves to walk.

Rudi, an austrailan sheppard mix, loves to fetch, chases bubbles or anything that moves through the air, attacks the giving end of a hose. He suffers from all sprinklers must die syndrome. He loves to chase the end of the spray. Now that we have grass that shouldn't be so messy.

Luna and Fat boy, our cats, like to play kitty on a string with Sher and Ella. Our living room opens into the kitchen which opens into the family room which goes back to the living room. They run with a long length of string the cats chasing it. And if Rudi is inside him too. He is chasing the cats though.

We have a new parakeet, but he isn't trained to do anything yet. The cats are really entertained by him.

Sniffer doesn't play very much being almost 14, but when he does it's like he's going though his second kitten-hood. He loves to tear around the house and 'yells' that he can't find anyone (I blame that one on his age ;) ). He also likes to hide around corners and attack ankles (mainly mine) he usually just paws at them but once in a while, not often, he'll bite and draw blood, I think he does it just to hear me scream <_< . But his most favorite thing to play with is his catnip toys. He just throws them around and bats them until he wears himself out :p .

Trixie, our cat, is now five and we adopted her two years ago. I was told that she was living on a Toyota car lot for a while before she was rescued, so we don't know how tough her life was. She is not a playful cat (more serious minded); I've tried catnip mice, feathers on a string, and balls, but she does love coming into the bathroom at bedtime when we are flossing our teeth. She will jump at the dancing floss along the wall, and will "chatter" her teeth, which we take to be a sign of pleasure. Who knows!

I have 2 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels both 5 years old. Their absolutely favourite game is to chase bubbles, which delights my 4 year old daughter. Their love of the game clearly outstrips my patience of blowing the bubbles for them, so I bought them a small bubble blowing machine (under the guise that it was for my daughter :D ) Now they will chase and catch the bubbles for at least half an hour, until they are panting with exhaustion and gasping from the taste of the bubble mix in their mouths. I then have to turn off the machine (they would never give up voluntarily) and they both finish off a bowl of water each. then they have a goooood sleep! Makes me tired just watching them!! :o

Our cat, Hope, is not a player. She just sits on your knee and if you fuss her, drools like there is a tap in her mouth! :lol: It is so disgusting - but very sweet :blink:

George, our Boston Terrier, will chase anything and also like to play tug of war. The other night I had the 2 youngest GK here and Braydon (3) while sitting on a small rocky horse had George's rubber bone by one end and George had the other end and George was strong enough to pull Braydon all around the living room. Braydon got tickled which then caused a chain reaction and got Hannah (1) tickled. So a good time was had by all. Their is nothing quite as cheering to the soul as a child's laughter. Braydon and George are about the same age and are growing up together. Best buddies.

If George thinks I've worked on mini's or the computer to long, he will come up to me and start bumping me to get attention, or bring his ball to throw.

He also has the funniest habit of getting his ball in his mouth and trying to bark or holding and going to sleep with it in his mouth (especially after a long game of fetch)

Sometimes I play "annoy the cat." <cackle> I have this very large female cat that does NOT like to be petted or touched for the most part. So, once in awhile when she's decided she has to be next to me on the couch I touch her. I touch, she tries to bite. It's a game. Not staying put where she thinks I should be also annoys her. Laundry day really annoys her because I'm up and down the stairs and she doesn't like to go up and down anymore than she has to.

Once in awhile when *she* decides she wants petted she'll let you scratch her head but that's pretty much it.

Kathy

Sometimes I play "annoy the cat." <cackle> I have this very large female cat that does NOT like to be petted or touched for the most part.

That's not a cat. She's Mae West reincarnated in a permanent fur coat. I've never met a cat with as much attitude as that one! She's also......without a doubt.......the *most* beautiful cat I've ever seen.

Deb

My cat Lil loves to play peek-a-boo. She is not so nice most of the time but boy does she perk up when you say boo. She hides around the corner and waits for me to come around and boo. The she catches on to where I am going and pounces me.

Kathy your cat sounds just like mine. Even though she doesn't like to be touched much she follows me everywhere and you can tell she is thinking " sit down already so I can have my nap".

I love it

SuzyQ

LIL is pictured in my next post below

your cat sounds just like mine. Even though she doesn't like to be touched much she follows me everywhere and you can tell she is thinking " sit down already so I can have my nap".

I can't believe how much your cat looks like mine! (Name -- Valentine) But she begs to be touched, just about turns herself inside out with the joy of being petted!! She's a sweetheart...thus her name!!

How do you get photos to show up within your posts?

Sniffer doesn't play very much being almost 14, but when he does it's like he's going though his second kitten-hood. He loves to tear around the house and 'yells' that he can't find anyone (I blame that one on his age :blink: ).

Cats do get louder as they age ... it's either they are more determined to be heard and not ignored, or that their hearing deteriorates. Dudley (age 16) seems to have good hearing, but I've noticed that he gets more impatient with me than he used to. He was always such a patient cat, but has become much more demanding the older he gets. I call his loud yelling "murping". It just sounds softer.

-Susanne