Creatin' contest winners posted

Mom of Three

I realize that a lot of people are going to disagree with my point of view but here goes...this hobby attracts a diverse group of people, it is a way for everyone to express themselves. I feel that expecting everyone to conform to your view of what is acceptable is a little narrow minded. I love the murder scenes created for CSI, I love the various 'houses of ill repute' I have seen from some of you. The meth house could be many things, including a strong anti drug statment! we don't know, maybe we should see it before condeming it. Climbing down from my soapbox now, hope I haven't offended anyone :)

I saw Roy's entry and it made my heart beat faster!!! What talent! I would have given a higher ...like 2nd or 1st prize. I too was disappointed about the "Meth Lab" What a

shame..........Ernie ..did you not pay attention????? :)

I don't think it is as much "expecting people to conform" as it is realizing that on such a public site as the Hobby Builders Supply site, many people (including small children) will see it . . . I think it gives the wrong message. I don't think that we need to promote acceptance of something that is ruining our society, killing families and children, and to say the least . . . totally illegal. I certainly don't think we should reward it. I also don't think that the CSI roomboxes can be seen in the same context . . . those were part of a t.v. plot and were created solely for that purpose. I would personally NOT want to have murder scene roomboxes in my collection. As far as the "red light" miniatures . . . they're not my personal thing, but this forum is not something a child is likely to happen upon, and if they did, they would not know to look for those pieces.

There are some things loosely referred to in our society as "diversity" that I really don't agree with, and could absolutely, unequivocally do without. If that makes me "narrow minded", so be it.

I'm real curious to see what this is all about when the picts post. Even if it's s spoof, the name is in poor taste, especially if you have ever had a friend/relative on drugs, or have seen the first hand damage drugs do. It's not even something I like to joke about. I was just in the process of ordering a kit from HBS, but this is enough to give me pause...

Have any pictures been posted? I for one would like to see Roy's entry (didn't see it posted in the gallery--if it is, can someone post a link?)

:) Crystal

Sherry was kind enough to post some pics on here:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...&album=4680

I am just amazed by Roy's work . . . what a master of the miniature!

"I don't think we need to promote acceptance of something that is ruining our society" Well of course not Rhonda! but as I said this entry could be anti-drug use, we just don't know yet! Oh, and I was talking about the diversity in the "mini" community, not society at large. Some people do want to push the envelope, just as other forums for self expression do ( TV, song writers) I am not questioning the fact that drug use is destructive, just suggesting that we could all stand to be a little more open minded.

May I say one more thing? Opinions about the meth house aside, let's not lose sight of the fact that one of our own Greenleafers has received a HUGE nod of recognition from outside our GL family. Okay, I know Roy "only" won third place, but still HE'S ONE OF THE WINNERS!! I have seen some amazing work not even get honorable mention, so I think this is an enormous piece of news, and we should all celebrate Roy's fantastic work.

And Roy, I respect your decision to withdraw your entry, but I hope that, as Sherry alluded to earlier, you will consider entering it in some other venue, be it a contest, exhibition, the South Plains Fair, whatever. Please keep sharing it with the world; it's such a beautiful work of art.

i just took a look at Roy's entry. OMG! It looks so professionally done. It's absolutely perfect in every way. He deserved better than 3rd place.

As far as the Meth Lab goes....how would anyone even know what a Meth Lab looked like??

want a great group of people. I try to create a new album but would not let me do so. for as were I place in the HBS contest that ok every one see thing there own way . I try to built some thing young & old can get a kick out of and see some new every time they look. we are all winner when one person take time to comment ... thanks again

Congratulations, Roy! :lol: I hope you don't seriously take your entry out, especially since the judging is already over. If I could produce projects half as skilled as yours, my cup would be full!

I hope there is a reasonable explanation for the choice of the "Meth Lab House" -- there must be something we're missing. But I still don't like the title. Someone suggested perhaps it was made by a student for a D.A.R.E. project. But Ernie made a big mistake by giving the news without the pictures! :)

He said he's posting the pictures next week -- hope their website doesn't crash with everyone trying to get on and see them!

According to the rules of the contest the entries will be judged on originality, creativity and quality of workmanship. The name given to your entry isn't mentioned in the rules as a criteria that will be judged.

How would anyone even know what a meth lab looks like?

Maybe someone who works in law enforcement or watches a lot of television.

Someone on facebook intimated that the project might not be quite what the name implied. I have no idea - but will wait until I've seen it to make up my mind.

At any rate, I am excited to see all of the entries. There are always such wonderful, creative things!

First of all congratulations to Roy! WTG, three cheers for some very hard work, a generous helping of genius, and a very talented technician.

As for the methlab...contrary to a famous quote, a picture is sometimes worth a lot more than a thousand words...and I'm going to give you an example.

20 years ago I worked for a CEO oriented, business news paper in a large city. The ads in this paper were all about corporate purchases and City business. We had some of the largest construction companies going, placing ads in our paper. The biggest ad available as well as the most desirable, was on the back page of this newspaper.

We weren't very large as a newspaper goes, because our target universe was small...mostly only the CEOS of businesses in a three state area...and our employees numbered about 30..and we were close, a real family.

Production time for our newspaper was weekly, and the pace was hectic. Ad salespeople were hard pressed to pick up and get each company's ads embedded in the next issue. We're talking thousands of dollars here with a massive cost for that back page ad.

This particular week, we were especially rushed, because it was close to a holiday..there was a bit of a festive atmosphere..so I suppose the Art editor didn't pay as close attention to the subject matter of one particular ad. She checked it for clarity and to make sure all the color runs were in alignment, and that was that. Boom. The graphics and text, mounted on the boards that would be copied and run were sent to the printer.

When we got our office copies, (the papers went straight from the printer to our delivery services..) we were horrified, to find that the huge back page ad, grapically pictured a businessman's suicide..because he'd chosen to use a service that didn't give him as much "bang for his buck" for his company's needs.

The man he lay across a ledger depicting his company's success rate, using the service he'd procured. Obviously, he didn't recieve as much bang for his buck, but his revolver, which lay beside him, seemed to have found it's mark just fine. It was extremely graphic. EXTREMELY

Well..the phones started ringing. Other advertisers, furious that such cheap, sensational copy was allowed in our newspaper. One advertiser in general...himself the CEO of a main construction group for the entire East Coast, was particularly upset. His own father had committed suicide over a failed business. With a revolver. In his office.

We lost that advertiser, along with the revenue. That particular company paid us weekly, a huge sum for it's newspaper exposure.

Well..not any more. It was a big blow for us. And that wasn't the only advertiser to protest by withdrawing it's business. The paper lost a ton of money because it published that one very in-poor-taste, ad.

So you see..image is very important. If not dramatically, then subtly, it says something about your frame of mind, the people you hang out with, and your own moral bent. Yeah, it's a free country, and yes, there are equal rights, but along with those rights comes responsibility. And as funny, ironic or dramatic a point as the advertiser who placed the ad tried to make, it fails miserably..backfiring in a hundred tiny, oftimes near imperceptible ways.

In this case, it made many people extremely uncomfortable. I wonder if any of us have children lost to crystal meth. Parents may come into the world of miniatures wanting to take their mind off their pain, and have something like this rubbed into a very personal wound..and suddenly the very place they've come to treasure as an escape, has a smear on it, too.

When we casually accept something as being ok, normal, whatever..it insinuates itself even further into our psyche, not unlike a tick burrowing deeper in a dog's ear. Along with that tick, comes infection, and the same holds for behavior that we start to accept, however slight. Once established, it's easier to slide in even more graphic 'advertisement'. And then more, and then more.

So however minor some may consider this.. ..I'm trying to make a point that may not have been taken into consideration. Morals, like mountains, aren't leveled and destroyed in minutes...they're eroded over time. And this is an example of erosion.

Everyone has an opinion. I have just stated mine, based on experience with a similar happenstance. I might add that for a while, my own son struggled with drugs..and is one of the fortunate few to have survived that battle ...I still count my blessings every day, but also, every time the phone rings in the middle of the night, my heart stops. Reflex reaction. I'll probably never lose that.

So both professionally, and personally, I'm one of those offended people. I would like one place, just one..where drugs don't seep in and take a poke at me in any form.

Ok, off my soapbox. Addendum. I removed already a passage of text that might have offended some people, and substituted the words "It was extremely graphic". Just in case someone else might have been unfortunate enough to have something similar happen in their family. Sometimes the simplest of things can cause flashbacks and I certainly don't want to hurt anyone here.

J

Disturbing indeed. That such a fuss over something we know nothing about is being made.

*sigh*

True, so true. I don't think it's at all fair to get up on soapboxes in this forum about something that has nothing what-so-ever to do with this forum. Please, take this to it's proper forum as opinions are very personal, and not every has the same one.

Looking back on it, Monica...you're right. Since I can't move my post directly, I can only hope that the moderator will place it in another forum.

Looking back, this post was as inapproprately placed here..similar situation, actually. While my opinion stands, the placement was not correct. Apologies, everyone.

J

I am closing this topic now. I tried to keep it open hoping that people would let it go into something nice and go complain about the issues they have about this topic on FB since that is where the problem is at. This is a HBS contest and has NOTHING to do with Greenleaf or OUR standards, morals or anything. As I stated before, we have not seen what the house looks like and even if we did, it has nothing to do with us HERE. If you leave, we hate to see you go but understand.