First Place

Michelle Miller, Howell, Michigan for "Bird's Eye View"

Second Place

Kat Pruett, Salem, Oregon for "Meth Lab Home"

Third Place

Roy Simpson, Lubbock, Texas for "Rusty Rose"

about an hour ago · 2 people ·

miniatures.com The Honorable Mention winners are:

Monica Liebenow, Janet Snook, Lena Jangren, Katherine Poiggs, Carol Dyson, Alice Sperry, David Mors, Rochelle Capozzi, Katie Gillan, Jennifer Berkley, William T. Anderson, Jane Young, Marshall Wallman, Linda Tolley and Debi Woods.

Congratulations to all! Tough as it was to choose the winners, we're

looking forward to doing it all again for 2011. Time to get busy!

about an hour ago · 3 people ·

Congratulations to all too :) Can't wait to see the pictures!!

Amanda, I did a double take on that too....

Congrats to Roy!! (but third place??? no way...I thought I'd see the Rusty Rose in the Grand Prize slot!!

Just goes to show.....the judges will always keep us guessing :lol: I do give them credit though, it's got to be a massively difficult job!

Can I say how disappointed I am that something called a "Meth lab home" placed in this contest???

Amen to that! I am not a Facebook member, but I hope somebody will tell Ernie how tacky that was! Plus, I think it's tacky that he's posted the winners on Facebook, but it's not on the Miniatures.com site yet.

I agree on the methlab issue. The owner of this obscene entry is no doubt chortling all over, very pleased with themselves..what a shame that in America, founded on good, solid values, an entry should descend to this level, and shame on Ernie for allowing it.

What's next? A suicide scene? Someone who's hanged themselves? A bomb explosion afterscene?Lovely. Ernie should be ashamed. We have enough trouble with this stuff in real life, without having to endure it in our miniatures. I would suggest that all who object send a note to Ernie, to let him know how we feel. Future contests should have a better delineated guildline.

J

Hardy congrats to everyone who entered, except the meth lab home. I must agree with the other comments on this. I have many years in emergency services & every day I see what drugs are doing to our country. I will not support anyone who awards a prize to someone who makes a project like that.

Steve in PA :)

I just sent Ernie an email telling him what I thought of his endorsement of such an entry. I agree with you, Steve . . . I won't support anyone who awards a prize to such an entry . . . I think that by awarding the prize, that was endorsing the idea that meth labs are no big deal, not the huge problem that sensible people know they really are.

Congrats to Roy (from my hometown, no less!), and the other deserving winners & honorable mentions. Is anyone else scratching their heads about HBS? First they decide to introduce a largely unaffordable (and some would say uninspiring) contest kit for 2011. Then they award 2nd place in the 2010 contest to something so controversial? Granted, we haven't seen the pics yet, and as someone else stated, it could be some sort of misplaced play on words, but Ernie and crew had to think this would ruffle some feathers.

I'm finding myself confused . . .

thanks to every one for the kind words. I will keep any comments to my self until I see the post of winners. but I am embarrassed and very confused. and right how wish I had not enter. thanks again.

It seems unlikely that a meth lab home would be full of HBS merchandise - that entrant must have had to make things from scratch - I haven't seen any mini company selling that sort of stuff.

It's probably in questionable taste, but I feel that I really need to withhold judgement until I've seen it.

I'm just moping because I didn't win anything, LOL.

:)

Can I say how disappointed I am that something called a "Meth lab home" placed in this contest???

Glad I'm not the only one that was grabbed by that particular name! Meth lab, really?! With the understanding that I haven't seen it, the title alone is in poor taste. I am not one to skim over reality or ignore the ugly truth, but what would be the purpose of creating a scene of the nature that the name implies? I can't wait to see what, exactly, it is.

Aside from that, congrats to all the winners and can't wait to see their work. Sounds like a diverse selection. And I agree - can't believe the Rusty Rose didn't run away with the grand prize; its phenominal work!

Roy, you have no reason to feel embarrassed. We are all glad that you entered so that we all had a chance to see your wonderful entry. The fact that there was another winner of dubious taste in no way lessons the artistry of your own entry.

thanks to every one for the kind words. I will keep any comments to my self until I see the post of winners. but I am embarrassed and very confused. and right how wish I had not enter. thanks again.

Roy, despite the highly questionable decision of the judges to award the meth lab house a prize, I have to say you shouldn't be embarrassed you entered. I entered, too, and none of knew that this was going to happen. Your entry is FABULOUS, and I know all of us thought you would be landing a TOP prize (which you most certainly should have). I am glad you entered - I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to see your incredible artwork - it is beautiful, interesting, and museum quality.

Roy, you should never be ashamed of entering!! Your project was Outstanding! I do feel that if people are not pleased about miniatures.com, it might be best to complain to THEM because it can be considered flaming. Especially since we have not seen the project yet.

Roy, your work is always stunning and professional and inspiring. You made all of us who have come to know you very proud and honored to be around such talent.

Everyone may be a bit upset because of this especially when we hear the title of the winning house is called something that bring about negative thoughts. Drugs are a reailty many people face and many of us create houses that reflect imagined settings or real life settings. Meth labs are found Everywhere now and it may be based off of that persons real life reality. We just don't know yet.

Ok, carry on folks but please let's be kind and considerate. That way no one will be feeling attacked or uncomfortable. If it is a real meth lab house, it will be interesting to see how this is handled

I'm not on Facebook so didn't see this and I guess it's not on the HBS website yet. I think the meth lab should not have been allowed in the contest. I don't care how "talented" the entrant's work was. It has no place in our miniature world and I am disappointed it was allowed in something we all enjoy each year. What was Ernie thinking?

I haven't seen any pictures of the winners yet except Rusty Rose and I was convinced that would scoop the grand prize because quite honestly, it is an incredibly creative, masterfully crafted and visually absorbing piece of work. Roy I am so sorry that you didn't win the top prize. I don't know who judges these contests but one wonders if they are really miniaturists themselves or if they just work in the industry and consequently have a slightly different perspective and understanding to those of us who actually take pride in creating the entries.

I didn't enter the contest and don't plan to enter their 2011 one either as the kit was expensive and uninspiring but if the kit grabbed me I would have a go at it but in the knowledge that however much work and attention I lavished on it, if the commercial appeal isn't there the only recognition would be from my peers. And that Roy is what you have in bucket loads, recognition and admiration from like minded people.

I also don't plan on entering this year. I think I need a break from contests. I love my cabin (my entry) and am disappointed not to even be a runner up, but that is the way things go. I have a donation house and my Bellingham Farmhouse that I want to concentrate on. But then again the Spring Fling is coming up and....no Teresa...don't even look. As I slap my forehead. :)

Can't wait to see pictures of the winning houses and runner ups. I always learn new things looking at them.

Not sure either of the Meth Lab entry. Seems in poor taste. But will wait to see it before forming a strong opinion. Guess to each their own. They seemed to judge very fast this year though.