Chasing Dead people ...

KathieB

For about 10 hours I thought I was a Mayflower descendant. We have traced back to the second ship to land at Plymouth shortly after the first Thanksgiving. My father has done DNA testing and their is a link to a Mayflower passenger, but we don't know how.

Having extensive pilgrim/puritan ancestry on both sides of the family, I'm currently know that I'm my own cousin more than 14 times over!

Growing up, I thought that my ancestry consisted of English, Irish, Scottish, and a little Dutch, and Austrian. It turns out that the Nicelys are Kneissles and German, the Coffelts are Kauffeldts, also German, the Brands are Swiss (sounded English to me).

I was puzzled by the notes on the back of some photos of my 2nd great grandparents mentioning a sister and her husband, but I only had 2 brothers. I posted on Genforum, found a whole bunch of sisters and someone sent me a vintage photo of the brother. There are people out there who buy old photos with names and reunite them with relatives. I was so tickled by their generosity!