Fairfield Builders...Come On In!!! :)

minifan

I'm also putting my own railings in. I left the actual steps and cut off the railings, then I bought Houseworks spindles, posts and rails. I cut the spindles at an angle so they would sit on the edge of the existing sides and I'm about to glue the thing together, I'm just staining and painting parts first and then will glue. I have no idea how it will all come out but it has to be better than the railings that come with the fairfield. I don't like the flatness, its not realistic. Good luck though!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fov, thanks for the picture of the thick door. Your idea to use a header piece is genius, then the filler makes sense. Without the header I'm not sure what to do. I have another day or so before I have to make a decision...

Your idea to use a header piece is genius, then the filler makes sense. Without the header I'm not sure what to do.

You can do the same thing, just extend the shims on the side all the way up and use one behind the top piece of trim as well.

Here are some pics of the bathroom door in my Fairfield. (Sorry for the fuzziness of the second one, whenever I tried taking that angle with the flash it got washed out so you couldn't see the shim!) I glued a piece of strip wood to the back of each interior trim piece before applying the trim. It doesn't need to be as wide as the trim (doesn't need to reach all the way to the edge of the door) since it's just covering up the gap. In retrospect I could have done a better job making a neat corner on this one, since it's the most visible corner on all the doors!

post-7-0-00824800-1307651369_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-85664500-1307651377_thumb.jpg

Welcome! Here's a picture that might help you visualize how to do the railings. She actually replaced the whole staircase, but I imagine you could to something similar with just the posts, if you're going to use the stairs from the kit.

You can also check out my blog for more details on the staircase. I really like the houseworks stairs I just couldn't get the ones that come with the kit to look right. http://halfscalefairfield.blogspot.com/

I actually made new door frames for my doors so that they were the right thickness. I'm sure this was more work than needed as the other solutions I have read would work just as well. You can check out my blog to see my progress on my Fairfield. http://halfscalefair...d.blogspot.com/

Kathy, I just looked at your blog. Your dining room ceiling is beautiful!! That would look nice in my Wentworth Court. Janet

If you like the Victorian windows and doors that come with the upgrade, AND if you have a good coupon (like the 30% off your highest priced item that they recently offered), then upgrade kit is definitely the way to go. However if you just like the idea of swapping in Houseworks windows and doors but prefer a style other than the Victorian, you can just buy the windows and doors separately.

I think the Fairfield looks awesome with the Houseworks windows (and the holes are the right size for them -- no bashing required) but I almost went with less frilly windows for mine. I ended up getting the upgrade during the April Fool's sale (this was back when they still offered 50% off), so that turned out to be more cost effective.

When I purchased my kit I bought the basic kit. with an HBS 40 or 50 % coupon. I figured if I wanted to upgrade I could always do it later and I could pick the style of windows rather then the victorian that come with the upgrade. I have added up what comes in the upgraded kit and if you like the doors and windows they supply it's a little cheaper that way. As stated above the thicknesses between the Houseworks doors/windows and the Greenleaf plywood can be an issue, but If you're willing to make adjustments then you shouldn't have a problem. It also depends on if you want to put each individual window together, sand, fill, and sand again or if you want that part done for you so you can get right to the painting and installing. It really comes down to what you feel like doing. :unsure: Guess I wasn't much help huh?

As an after thought I did decide to upgrade windows and doors for mine and found most of them at a dollhouse shop in an estate sale and I search ebay for lot sales etc so I don't end up paying too much. Since I didn't want the victorian styled windows etc it worked out for me. Good luck! Are you planning on getting one?

The windows in the kit are made from plywood pieces. To get a nice finish you'll need to do a lot of sanding and use wood filler to make the wood smooth. It can be very time consuming and I don't have the patience! (But I also hate it when they don't come out looking pristine...) Fairfield has a lot of windows, and since it's half scale it can sometimes be tough to get your hands into the space to finish them off nicely. Really it comes down to how much you enjoy -- or loathe -- that type of work.

By comparison, the Houseworks windows are preassembled, are made of nicer wood, and have more detail. You slide the pre-assembled window into the hole rather than adding trim around the hole, which means that the hole itself doesn't have to be nicely finished -- which can take a lot of work with the splintery plywood.

I'm building a die-cut Rosedale right now and the laser cut window trims have been a dream to work with. If the Fairfield were laser cut I'd say the window upgrades wouldn't be as important.

They require a bit more work as you have to assemble them and I know from experience that die cut houses can require a bit more TLC then the premade Houseworks. The end result can be beautiful with the basic kit if you're willing to take your time. Check out MoreMinis Blog she shows pictures of her build of the Fairfield step by step. MoreMinis windows and here's the link straight to the day she works on the windows.

BTW I just looked at your blog you do AMAZING work.

Oh gosh, thank you both so much for the advice!! I think you are right that the HW windows would be well worth it - especially considering that I have not built a dollhouse before. Have wanted one for a long time and the Fairfield just keeps calling out to me!

I started reading your blog from the very beginning and thoroughly enjoying it. With your skill at such tiny scales your Fairfield is sure to be gorgeous. Can't wait to see it, remember to post lots and lots of photos for us.

• 2 weeks later...

OK - I have taken a deep breath...

I do have a question right off the bat. I see that the base piece that I broke out from it's sheet and laid on the table last night is still quite warped and does not lay flat. Is there some remedy for this - like misting it with water and placing under books for a couple days?

The front of my Gloucester was really really warped when it arrived, I wet it with water, weighted it and left it for days. It was still warped so when I painted it I coated both sides and again weighted it down. There is just the slightest warp now, but to be fair it was so bad I almost thought about trying to get a replacement piece. Since the piece you're looking at is pretty small you should have better luck. Just make sure you clamp it flat as it dries.

Try dry fitting it with the walls and second floor and see if it straightens out. If not you might want to look into getting a replacement sheet from Greenleaf.

My Fairfield second floor was very warped (made worse when I painted it) and it caused all sorts of problems. During the build I kept regretting not just replacing it in the beginning.

OK peoples, I need some advice. After looking over this kit (which is my first), I am pretty, let's say, overwhelmed. As much as I love the layout of this house and love what all of you who are more experienced have done with it, the apparent necessary prep time for the die cut wood is just too much for me at this time. I should have gone for a laser cut kit...

So, question is - should I send it back to HBS and eat the return shipping and the 15% restocking fee they will charge, sell it on Ebay, or try to solicit a trade here on the forum for a cheaper half scale house?

I would like very much to have this dollhouse but the time required is just too much for me right now...