Donations

Bea Killion

Just wondering if this happens to anyone else. Yesterday my husband and I went to the S.P.C.A. thrift store. I wanted to donate 2 finished dollhouses thinking they would be happy to get and sell them to get money for the poor animals. Well my husband went to bring them in and they wouldn't take them!!! They said they didn't think they would sell!. One was the Brookwood and the other, the Newberg. I was really upset. This is the second time we tried to donate to them, the last time I emptied a piggy bank and ended up with 60.00 worth of rolled coins. So thinking, I would like to do a good deed (could have used the money for ourselves being retired). But I felt like helping the animals. So we went with good intentions and expecting them to be happy to get cash for the animals. Well......... they would not take the money. They didn't want rolled coins!!!

Duh!!!!! it's money! They didn't want to have to go to the bank to turn in for bills.... I was sooooooooo upset. So from there we went to the local animal shelter and I asked them if they wanted the money. They were overjoyed !!

This still makes me upset when I think about it. If they need money so bad, why would they refuse donations??

Anyway after that we took the dollhouses to another thrift store and they took them, no problem.

I think that you should call whomever runs the shelter and tell them what their employees are doing...if it's the operator of the shelter telling you this...I'd tell them where to go and how much it will cost to get there!!! :lol:

Find a new place to donate...you wouldn't want all your hard work going to someone who doesn't appreciate it anyways... :o

A couple of years ago I offered one of my houses to a non-profit group for their fund raising auction. They refused it saying that they only wanted 'quality' antiques & crafts ! I donated it to another group & after they saw what it brought at auction, they contacted me to say that they decided that they would take one of my houses ! I advised them that I only make one offer per group !!

Some people can be quite nasty when you try to do something nice for them. I'm glad your houses got a good home.

Steve in PA

WOW! What is wrong with these groups in"need"??? I would like to donate a house to someone, but i really want it to be appreciated . There are so many children living on the ragged edge of poverty. It would be wonderful to find a child who would love a dollhouse. I guess i need to talk to some local pastors and see who i can find.

If you have any other suggestions let me know.

I've been donating to places with a "real" need. In other words, if they really need to make money, they will take it. :lol: I've noticed a lot of domestic violence centers and hospitals really enjoy our hobby and love to reap the benefits of it! Glad your dollhouses went to a better place that was truly in need!

I found an Orchid that had been built with hot glue that was falling apart in a local church's thrift store, so when I sent the contents of my Orchid General Store to Sherry I took the house & furniture (& a commercial doll) back to the store with instructions to please donate it to a needy family with little girls. When I rehab the Orchid I got from them, it will go back again as a donation. I made some contacts when I was an elementary school health nurse, so I have sources to donate to.

The house that was not of good quality (!!) I donated to the Make A Wish Foundation/ Children's Miracle Network for their annual auction. It brought almost $200 & I got a very nice letter from them , plus a nice letter from the person who bought it. There are a lot of good organizations out there, but also an equal number of scam artists !!

Steve in PA

Wow, Bea. I had lived right outside Aiken up until 5 years ago and my son still lives in Warrenville and I cannot imagine that the animal shelter is that stupid. I had visited there several times and it seemed to me they could always use the help.

I have the Alexandria that I hope to finish this year and I really hope the animal organization in Savannah takes it as a donation because I really do not want it and would rather it go for a good cause.

That is just CRAZY. Our SPCA would jump at a chance to sell those houses. You must have talked to volunteers, people who don't 'get it' about doing everything in their power to assist animals in need.

How they could think that no one would want a dolls house at holiday time, is beyond me. Bless you for donating that money to the shelter.

A tip..in the future, you might call around August, and suggest they take the houses, and raffle them off for Christmas. That's what our shelter does..and they get a great return on the raffle. The donated house was placed at various stores throughout the town..(I built a cardboard box with a mylar front, to protect the house from curious fingers while it was on display)...and the animals benefited greatly from the raffle.

Those people manning the SPCA desk MUST have been volunteers. If they were staff..a suggestion should be made to have a meeting of their board of directors, so they can elect a new manager. How sad.

I don't know if the people were volunteers or not, but they wouldn't answer the bell at the side door where they accept donations. My husband and another woman were ringing the bell, and they wouldn't answer, so I went inside and told one of the women, and she said, "Oh, sometimes the bell doesn't work", and then she went back to what she was doing. The woman with my husband said she "heard the bell". Anywany someone finally opened the door and took a box of junk from the women but would not take the dollhouses!.

Before I went there I tried to find a place on the internet that took donations for sick children, but I couldn't find any close by at all. That when I decided to help the doggies and cats, but to no avail. This really upset me! I have rescued a dog and a parrot in the past and I know how much help is needed. If any of you know of a place near here, that take items for sick children, please let me know. I have another dollhouse that I would really like to go to a little girl that would enjoy it. Bless you all for you kind responses.