hello from ny

chapchap73

hello all of you! I have wanted to build a dollhouse for years, and am finally ready to start! Any suggestions on a good house to start with. I was thinking of the laser-cut jefferson, but I am a little overwhelmed with all the choices out there! I'm chapchap73 from ny by the way :giggle:

:giggle: <_< :p

Welcome, Sarah! You've found the best place on earth to get information and inspiration for this hobby!

For your first dollhouse, I would probably say, a Corona Concepts house. There are so many houses to choose from and I've learned that what ever you build as your first house will probably end up being your favorite brand! I like Real Good Toys, but they are heavy!! They don't require a great deal of sanding and have larger rooms that allow for so many decorating ideas. Greenleaf houses are much more intricate in detail and are more of a "collector quality." I would recommend doing your homework on the different types of wood to see what you are willing to work with. I'm sure you'll get lots of advice from the more experienced builders ("master builders") on this forum and it will prove to be a tremendous amount of help!

Can't wait to see your eye candy when you do get started!

Welcome to the little family, Sarah. For starters, why not click the "Blogs" button and take a look at some of the kits the Building Team has built? The laser-cut kits are super easy builds because they fly together (not so wonderful if you want to tweak it whilst building, BTW). One word of caution I'll mention is that if the instructions in the kit you choose recommend you build it with hot glue, please ignore it and use a good quality carpenter's wood glue or tacky glue, instead. Next to building kits from the box I enjoy rehabbing houses already built with hot glue because they're so easy to finish taking apart and rebuild from the ground up.

Hello Sarah, glad you joined us, I'm sure you'll love it here and will find so much inspiration and assistance.

I'd say go with a laser cut house for your first one and build it as per the instructions. Changing or bashing a kit can come later when you have more experience under your belt. I chose a Greenleaf Garfield for my first house and although its a big complicated house, I haven't regretted that choice. If laser cut versions had been available at that time it would have been easier though. If I were choosing a first house now I'd go for the Beaumont, simply because its beautiful - love symetrical architectural styles. Its a big house but smaller doesn't always mean easier.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

:giggle: Sarah. I'm just finishing up with my first dh -- it's a Laurel dh kit by Corona Concepts. Have to say if you don't mind sanding(at times a lot) any of these would be great starter houses, as they do give you plenty of room to adjust the house as you see fit. However, have to agree with the previous statement that if you're looking for ease in not having to sand so much, and have the house fit together pretty quickly and easily, your idea of a laser cut dh kit is perfect. Truly there is no "best" first dh kit for everyone, it's more a matter of looking and see what speaks to you specifically... Good luck with your choice, and if it makes it any easier -- just remember, once the first is done you get to start on others! <_<

Hi Sarah and welcome to the Greenleaf Forum! Sounds like you've picked out a fine house to start with! Have on hand a great supply of Masking Tape-both to dry fit everything before you glue and to hold stuff together while glue is drying.AND never use Hot Glue even if the instructions say to because hot glue is fragile and falls apart after

a few years-your whole house could collapse!Ater 5 posts you can start an album to share your work!! You're gonna love it here!!!! :lol:

Hello Sarah! I LOVE the laser cut houses and you would really enjoy the build better if you do start with the lasercut Jefferson. Please do let us know which one you decide on! Greenleaf has some of the best houses when you look at quality & cost & ability to edit the house design simply :)

Hi Sarah, I am late saying 'welcome'. Sitting around here with a broken arm itching to get to my playing/building of extension to an already home made from scratch (I think) house with no name. If I were going to choose I would go to the members gallerys to look at the wonderful creations (I look all the time) and go to a hobby/craft store to drool and dream. Hobby Lobby is soon to have their 50% coupons in major newspapers so keep your eye out.

have fun shopping :-)

Linda in OK

• 2 weeks later...