Greetings from Canada, eh! ;)

M-J

Hi all!

I've started building my Garfield that my wonderful husband attained for Mother's Day. I know that it's not the model for beginners, but I'm pretty good at building things. I'm the handyman in our house. Besides, my 10 year old daughter is usually on hand for consult, even though neither of us know what we're doing.... :rolleyes:

I've always wanted a dollhouse. I was amazed when my 7th grade woodshop teacher brough the house that he was building to school. I was hooked.

I love the actual building process, but I'm trying to decorate as I go. (I'm not very creative) I read that it's easier...I've bought "oops paint" at my local Home Depot and hope to get to our recycling depot to pick up some free paint...I'm finding that the instructions are very vague. I wish that they had told me to make sure that a certain part of the foundation gusset is "notches up" to fit in my future porch steps. Now somehow, I have to cut slots in the wood to insert my steps. argh! Any suggestions?

Thanks.

M-J

Thank you!

Unfortunately, don't have pics yet. Will get some soon...I don't have much done, except both staircases and the foundation. I'm at the window trim, but I had to get Greenleaf to send me pg 5 of my schematics. Learned with stairs that I should paint before installation. Much easier!! I've pre-painted almost all trim and a few other things that I've decided on colour, like kitchen pantry and fireplace faces. I work full time as well as run my household so unfirtunately I don't have much house time... :rolleyes:

Welcome to the forum Mary Jane <_< . The garfield is a very ambitious house to start with, but you should do fine, I have one so I understand :) . I can't really help with the problem of your steps, it's been so long since I built mine :rolleyes: , but there are others here that are building the garfield currently so one of them may be able to help with suggestions. Just hang in there and you'll do fine, and don't be afraid to ask anything someone should be able to help. :D

Hi Mary Jane!

Welcome to the forum, and to the "Garfield club." I'm building one of those monsters, too, and I'm afraid I haven't gotten very far. I'm painting the stairs (before assembling :rolleyes: ) and will soon be ready for the next step. I don't understand why you're going to have to cut slots for the stairs. All the stairs should go together without any need to do any cutting. However, due to the fact that the fit is never perfect, there may be some adjustments to be made. I really do wish you luck. It's a spectacular house, and once it's done, you'll be so happy!

Hi M-J, welcome to the forum from another Canadian. I haven't built the Garfield but I do intend to one day. There are lots here who can help with any problems you may encounter and some really beautiful finished Garfields.

Wendy

Thank you all for your welcome!!

Maresiedotes, the steps that I was referring to are the porch steps that attach to the foundation. (not the kitchen, I believe that it's for the front door) When you build the foundation, there is a piece of the gusset, (the part that makes it high) that has slots to fit those steps. I assembled that piece upside down, so I cannot attach the porch steps to that piece when the time comes...(the instructions have not told me to yet)

:rolleyes:

Oh, now I get it! Do you have a Dremel tool? I've already used it for a whole bunch of things, one of them being cutting a real door behind that closet door on the first floor behind the stairs. It works like a charm and will probably save you a whole lot of time. Good luck....hope to see some pics when you can!

the fit is never perfect, there may be some adjustments to be made.
That's what wood putty is for!

I assembled that piece upside down,

If I had a nickel for every kit piece I've assembled wrong, taken apart or made a replacement from kit scraps, or said the hck with it and bashed it into something else I could afford a Garfield! If you can't disassemble it, by the time you get there you'll think of another solution, or someone building it will have.

Welcome to the forum, we have so many nice members from your lovely country, you betcha!

I don't have a drummel tool, but I do have a Black & Decker "Mouse". It has a small nose attachment that I was thinking of using, but it's more like a sander than a cutting tool. If I can get a drummel.....oh, the possabilities.... :rolleyes:

That's what wood putty is for!

If I had a nickel for every kit piece I've assembled wrong, taken apart or made a replacement from kit scraps, or said the hck with it and bashed it into something else I could afford a Garfield! If you can't disassemble it, by the time you get there you'll think of another solution, or someone building it will have.

Welcome to the forum, we have so many nice members from your lovely country, you betcha!

:rolleyes: LOL!!

Holly, the only reason that this on-a-limited-budget retiree was able to afford the Garfield was that I found it for a really great price on Overstock.com. Right now they offer the Garfield, Lily, Magnolia, Laurel, Glencroft, and the Pierce for substantially reduced prices.

And Yes, I agree, that sometimes mistakes are just happy sidetracks in disguise. They all have educational value!

And Yes, I agree, that sometimes mistakes are just happy sidetracks in disguise. They all have educational value!

I like to think of them as "spontaneous architectural features". <cackle>

Welcome to the forum MJ!

Deb

this on-a-limited-budget retiree
As another OLBR who also lives in a teensy tiny little house I'd be happy to build a Garfield in 1:24. One of the side benefits of a severely limited income is that it stimulates the creative juices.

"spontaneous architectural features".

<snicker, cackle>

OLBR

Holly, I think you've coined a new acronym!

And I think your creative juices have been flowing much longer than mine have when it comes to minis.

I'll be happy if I had even a fraction of your creativity!!!!

I forgot -- Holly, what kind of wood putty do you use to "fill in the gaps"?

I think you've coined a new acronym!
If the guys can be the LOSHBB there's no reason we dameoiselles d'un quel age can't have our own acronym, too :rolleyes:

your creative juices have been flowing much longer than mine

Comes from many, many years of living on a restrictive income <_<

Solidarity mates, solidarity.

The League of Scale House Building Blokes (LOSHBB, okay I'll work on that) could be upon us.

We, the masculine (and dead butch at that mate) minority here have to watch each other's backs. I say end mill, you guys know what I'm talking about. Parting tool, of course. I say this gearset gives 16 different speeds, you think, gotta have it. No matter what it is. You can't have no all in one machine, or a mill attachment for your lathe! No, you NEED a mill and a lathe, and no mamby pamby wood lathe! You NEED the precision of a metal working lathe. You know what I'm talking about. Hang in there, I'm pullin' for ya, cause we're all in this together.

Hey wait, I got it: Partners In Scale Supremecy! Maybe not. blink.gif

-doogster (aka Andrew)

Hopefully this link will work: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?showtopic because a lot of the foolishness that makes us what we are is encapsulated in this thread (ooo, didn't THAT sound special?)

The link was supposed to take you to the thread, Andrew's quote occors about page 4 or 5 (I forget which) but the whole thread is a hoot.

We could create our own version of SCA & call it the Society for Creative Acronyms!

:rolleyes: Lol!!! Maybe I'm missing something here...(scratching head) ...I guess that thread will just have to join the ranks of the TYUBM...........Lol! Ya lost me, Holly!!

<18 minutes later> Never mind, I found it...I see what you mean. What a priceless collection of silliness!

Definitely first-class stuff!