No 5am shopping for me...anyone else???

minifan

Heidi, I still have my trusty old (20 yrs. to be exact) 25" RCA - fills 2/3rds of the entire cabinet shelf we had built in, but it has never had a problem yet, so it will stay until it croaks I guess. I really would like to get a flat-screen in there though - cleaning behind that sucker is a REAL PAIN! :):) I think a 32" screen would just barely fit...hope so anyway...smaller screens seem so much smaller to me these days. :) (think it could be my old eyes?) :(

we did have a flat screen but well dogs and kids, it fell and the screen was soooo strange, had a crack in it like glass that you could see almost like it was tv LOL then it died! so until i could afford one and put it securely somewhere we will not get one...kind of sad that they dont make sturdy ones anymore, although i have always hated how even the small tvs were soooooo deep!!!

No Black Friday for me either. I hate crowds. I like the Old UPS truck to come down the

driveway and deliver it to my door so only online shopping for me, though I did go to

Michaels this morning at 9 am to get Martha Stewart Twine to make Candy canes for my

dollhouse. Check out Joanns page for some great xmas ideas.

http://joannswansondiyminiatures.blogspot.com/

No Black Friday here either. Both of the kids are all grown up and DH and I will do our shopping via internet for the most part. I send or give gift cards to them and order gift baskets from Harry and Davids for everyone else. DH is even harder to shop for since he gets what ever he wants when ever he wants it. I do love to decorate for Christmas so will start that this weekend.

We started replacing all the tvs three years ago and I am glad we did. DH's main hobby is electronics, and the house has a very complex networking he set up that includes both the cable and satallite and now he is doing his best to integrate the computer network. (Don't ask! He has a couple of books full of diagrams and instructions he has developed to run the D@#$%@ thing and I do not understand a bit of it.) Anyway we had some huge very weighty tvs in the family room, our daughter's room, the mb and his office. Neither of us are spring chickens any more and I was afraid he would injure himself when he would pull them out of the various stands and such. At least the newer ones are easier for him to handle.

Julie, since you have dogs and kids, put your next flatscreen up where they can't get at it..on the wall, or suspended in a corner. You can have someone knowledgable set it up. Then, no more Humpty Dumpty syndrome.

There was a show on tv that showed how the new tvs were made..some of them are only an inch or so thick! Amazing. My family got their first tv when I was about 6. It was a tiny screen only 8 or 10 inches on the diagonal, set into a HUGE console that also housed on either side, a radio, and a phonograph. We had to practically press our noses to that tv screen to see the image, but hey, we still watched Uncle Milty and the Colgate Hour.

Ack, now the tv companies are talking about projecting a tv image on any surface, or even into thin air, and we have also gone backwards in one instance, whittling videos down to cellphone size.

:)

The only reason we have a flat screen is because my old dinosaur Sanyo finally gave up the ghost a couple of years ago. It was around 15 years old and was huuuuuuuuge. I've discovered that not only does the new flat screen look better but it's definitely easier to clean and move so I'd have to say it's a technology I can embrace. <grinning> Of course, that HD is pretty fine to look at too. I have a couple of DVDs of aquariums and Zen gardens that look lifelike in HD.

There's no way I'd go out on Black Friday ever, ever, ever! I hate crowds so much that we normally do all our shopping late at night even on good days. But, I still got in on one of the fabulous Black Friday deals at the store's website. <happy dancing> All those sales were starting early in the morning before I go to bed and just out of curiosity I went to the website to see if they had anything there............and managed to save around $75 on the gift that I wanted to get for Bruce anyway. Yipeeee!!!!

Now I'm waiting for Cyber Monday to finish my shopping.

Deb

I look forward to shopping on Black Friday. I live in the Lehigh Valley, PA and there are so many stores within 30 minutes driving distance. I think that is what makes the difference here. I try to never be at any store when it opens to avoid the pushing of shoppers to get some of the super sale items. You know the ones(while supplies last). The only store I felt crowded in was the Walmart closest to my home. It looked like the store was really trashed and merchandise left wherever when someone did not want it. They were out of the two toys I wanted so I traveled to a different Walmart. What a difference, the store was orderly, no lines to wait in and they had the toys I wanted. I did wait in any long lines and at one store a clerk was directing people to the next available cashier.

Julie, since you have dogs and kids, put your next flatscreen up where they can't get at it..on the wall, or suspended in a corner. You can have someone knowledgable set it up. Then, no more Humpty Dumpty syndrome.

There was a show on tv that showed how the new tvs were made..some of them are only an inch or so thick! Amazing. My family got their first tv when I was about 6. It was a tiny screen only 8 or 10 inches on the diagonal, set into a HUGE console that also housed on either side, a radio, and a phonograph. We had to practically press our noses to that tv screen to see the image, but hey, we still watched Uncle Milty and the Colgate Hour.

Ack, now the tv companies are talking about projecting a tv image on any surface, or even into thin air, and we have also gone backwards in one instance, whittling videos down to cellphone size.

:)

yeah i figure when we HAVE to get one I will have to cement it in place LOL

my kids think it is funny when i tell them we had 12 channels when i was a kid, had to stand up and turn the dial to change channels, cartoons only on saturdays (what fun!) and if you saw a movie you liked you had to wait (wizard of oz only once a year LOL) for it to be on tv as you could no go rent it LOL

Phooey on Black Friday!! I say that because that was my mood at 5am when I was

blasted awake by my old female Greyhound...woofing to go out.Woofing in my ear....my

high bed makes my ear even with her mouth!! I forgave her at 7am when I got up for the day. As far as shopping goes I love the 'net.Have always had good luck and speedy

results.Crowds of humans does not please me!! Too rude! :)

12 channels!!!! I'm so old I remember when we only had 3...and were so excited when a PBS station started up, and we lived in a major metro area!!

Funny TV story....well, it wasn't funny at the time...: We had one of those huge old TV's. Tiny picture, but huge console to hold it, and all those tubes in the back. (For those of you too young to know what I mean -- they were like slender light bulbs...somehow transmitted the picture through them. Like regular light bulbs, they got very hot when the TV was on...)

Anyway. I was maybe 4 years old. Loved having the TV. Loved all the teeny-tiny people in that big box!!!! But one day they were dancing and singing in there, and it was VERY hot outside. I knew, 'cuz I had been outside and had come in to the basement where the TV was, to cool off.

Oh, those poor teeny-tiny people! All that singing and dancing!! They HAD to be thirsty, 'cuz *I* was thirsty!!

So I got a nice cold glass of water, drank it, got another, and poured it down the back of the TV so they could have a drink, too!!!

Well. BANG!!! BOOM!! BANG!!! and flames shot out of the back of the set!!!! I went tearing upstairs -- 2 flights -- to wake up my Daddy who was napping!! "Daddy, daddy, the house is on fire!!"

I never heard my father swear...until now. He swore a lot as he woke up from a sound sleep and went tearing down those two flights of stairs. By this time the TV had pretty much burned itself out, but there was still smoke rising, and scorching of the back wall of the basement room. After tugging and pulling to get it away from the wall, a good soaking made sure the wall wasn't still on fire. Then he and my older brother tussled the destroyed TV up the basement stairs and to the yard, where it continued to smolder for a time.

I got a LONG lecture about "never do that again!!"...and "no, there aren't real people inside there...only pictures of real people, and they don't need you to give them food or drinks!!!"

And a couple days later a nice new (still huge, with tubes) TV came home.. :)

12 channels!!!! I'm so old I remember when we only had 3...and were so excited when a PBS station started up, and we lived in a major metro area!!

Funny TV story....well, it wasn't funny at the time...: We had one of those huge old TV's. Tiny picture, but huge console to hold it, and all those tubes in the back. (For those of you too young to know what I mean -- they were like slender light bulbs...somehow transmitted the picture through them. Like regular light bulbs, they got very hot when the TV was on...)

Anyway. I was maybe 4 years old. Loved having the TV. Loved all the teeny-tiny people in that big box!!!! But one day they were dancing and singing in there, and it was VERY hot outside. I knew, 'cuz I had been outside and had come in to the basement where the TV was, to cool off.

Oh, those poor teeny-tiny people! All that singing and dancing!! They HAD to be thirsty, 'cuz *I* was thirsty!!

So I got a nice cold glass of water, drank it, got another, and poured it down the back of the TV so they could have a drink, too!!!

Well. BANG!!! BOOM!! BANG!!! and flames shot out of the back of the set!!!! I went tearing upstairs -- 2 flights -- to wake up my Daddy who was napping!! "Daddy, daddy, the house is on fire!!"

I never heard my father swear...until now. He swore a lot as he woke up from a sound sleep and went tearing down those two flights of stairs. By this time the TV had pretty much burned itself out, but there was still smoke rising, and scorching of the back wall of the basement room. After tugging and pulling to get it away from the wall, a good soaking made sure the wall wasn't still on fire. Then he and my older brother tussled the destroyed TV up the basement stairs and to the yard, where it continued to smolder for a time.

I got a LONG lecture about "never do that again!!"...and "no, there aren't real people inside there...only pictures of real people, and they don't need you to give them food or drinks!!!"

And a couple days later a nice new (still huge, with tubes) TV came home.. :)

LOLOL the days of tubes...remember every grocery store had a section up front for you to find a tube replacement? LOLOL and i lived 150 miles north of LA...60s so there was a pbs station, geez even remember the channel! channel 8 LOL

Ann, you're such a caring person to want to give the little people a drink like that. <grinning> We had a big console TV like that too and I remember when we got it my dad made sure my brother and I knew that no food or drink was allowed anywhere near it. Flat screen TVs may have much better pictures but I sort of miss having a TV that was also a beautiful piece of furniture. Stereos too! We had a gorgeous console stereo that had a turntable and radio in it and it was my Dad's pride and joy. When I first got married my ex and I thought we were living the dream when we got a second-hand console stereo with a turntable, am/fm radio, and an 8-track deck.

I'm done with my shopping! Yay! Actually I could have been done last week but I was waiting for Cyber Monday to see if there were any good deals. I'm sort of disappointed because most places were offering free shipping and nothing else. Oh well, I'll take whatever discount I can get! Example: I found the identical item for the identical price in two places---Amazon and Walmart. I was going to order it from Amazon (Amazon direct, not a small business with an Amazon store) and then realized that the shipping on a $19 item was going to be $12!! Walmart was offering free shipping so it was sort of a no-brainer. I'm not sure what's up with Amazon and shipping but this is the second time recently that I've turned from Amazon to Walmart because of the high shipping. Last time was almost $10 shipping for one book! Oh well, I'm just glad that it's all finished now and I don't have to worry about it. I'm sooooooo grateful to be able to shop online or I wouldn't have been able to do it at all.

Deb