What's everyone doing for Thanksgiving?

Deb

WOW...sounds like everyone is busy this year! We will be having 3 dinners actually spanning two days. Fortunately my parents and in-laws only live 20 and 40 minutes from us so we don't have to do much traveling. Thanksgiving we will go to my parents for a late lunch then from there to my in-laws for dinner. I am determined to have my own Thanksgiving dinner at my own house so I am setting the DVR to record the parade and Friday will cook my own turkey and all the fixins with the parade going in the background...at least this way I get to pretend it's really Thanksgiving LOL. I love the smells of Thanksgiving. I opted to stay home this year and have just me, hubby and the two kids but my husband wants to go to his parents too...I think it's his mom's sweet potatoes that are the real draw. :)

None of the kids will be here. The family that lives here is going to see DIL's great grandmother, and the one in Kansas is on duty. So it's just us, and we have planned to eat out at a lovely buffet here in town and then watch football...peace and quiet and minis! Even Larry likes the idea. His sister called and invited us over, and he turned her down! Said he would rather watch the games on tv than the games going on at her house, where he usually has to referee the fights-lol!

Just the two of us & the puppies. A small dinner & then to my shop to play with my minis ! The grandkids are coming this weekend. I'm on volunteer duty tomorrow, so I hope everything is quiet.

Have a nice holiday, all ya'll

Steve in PA

Other than our nextdoor neighbor & friends shooting off their shotguns it has been quiet here. I ended up with the ham, baked sweet potatoes, baby lima beans, Brussels sprouts, corn on the cob, dressing, rolls and a pecan braid for dessert. I made cranberry-banana-chip muffins for breakfast, so the kid will have lots of goodies to share with his friends this weekend.

Well a regular work day here today! Yesterday I was getting supper at the grocery store and thought "Oooh, I'll get a nice ham roast to boil for dinner tomorrow night as it is thanksgiving and we can have a yummy extravegant dinner. Chris can turn on the stove and oven when he gets home around 5, then the ham should be ready by 6:30 when I get home to do the last bits." Was all excited. Then Chris told me he's got a meeting until at least 6 and won't be home before then. Ham got put on hold :) Had fish and chips (chunky fries) tonight instead :)

Tomorrow is my sister's birthday so we're going up to visit her after work. Mummy is making a nice roast dinner for that, so will be our substitute thanksgiving dinner until we get home Sunday and I can do the ham roast with some of the yummy trimmings you've all been mentioning!

Hope you've all had a good day so far and some delicious dinners!

We just finished dinner. I put away the leftovers, and Lloyd is tackling the dishes. (Have I mentioned he's a keeper?) I did the turkey breast in the microwave and am very pleased with how it turned out. The meat is very moist, and the butter I rubbed on the skin browned it nicely. I was afraid it would be unappetizingly pale. The fresh herbs from the garden (rosemary & thyme) and a few other things stuffed inside gave it a distinct yet delicate flavor. It and the mashed yams (one of Lloyd's favorites) almost made up for the instant mashed potates and Stove-top stuffing and packaged gravy. One thing nice about the microwave is its speed. It was a flat two hours from taking the bird out of the refrigerator to sitting down at the table.

It's nap time now. :)

Ended up going to the Eagle's Club this afternoon, where there was this ginormous potluck with beautiful turkey and ham and, and, and....as well as nearly all my neighbors being there, not to mention what looked to be most of the town. Ate WAY too much and had a wonderful time!

Going to go sleep it all off now! :)

I didn't dare take a nap, I was STUFFED! Muriel, I made a glaze for our ham from a cup of blush wine, 1/2 cup dark brown sugar and 1/4 cup of brown mustard. I whisked it together and nuked it for two minutes in three sessions in the microwave and poured it still boiling over the ham (we baked ours in foil) and let it finish for another half hour.

I made my dressing from some leftover jalapeno cornbread I'd made for a get-together in October; brought it home, put the pieces into a freezer bag, squished it into crumbs & froze it; took it out last night & let it thaw in the fridge, added a cup of caramelized sweet onion to it along with an egg & milk and nuked it for three minutes. It was wonderful!

The brussels sprouts with peanut butter and hot sauce were wonderful, as were the baby limas and the baked sweet potatoes practically floated out of their skins. Except for a few slices of the ham I gave DS all the leftovers to take home. He had a homeless friend as well as a former neighbor & his elderly mother that he occasionally cooks for, so this way they can enjoy something extra besides what DS gets in his box from the food bank.

When I moved to Texas a few years ago I ended up moving far away from my sisters(one in New England,the other in Tenneessee) and my BFF's sister and family are in Houston so we usually have Holidays with our friends across the street.This year we are all piling in the van and driving up the the street and around the block to a daughter's house for dinner!!We had too much to carry hence the van.LOL! Continuing my Mom's

tradition we will have another,(smaller) turkey dinner this week end with leftovers so we can munch on turkey sandwiches and turkey soup! :)

A pleasant stay with my brother and his family, though things didn't go according to plan, of coarse! My workout DVD wouldn't play, the fitness monitor data wouldn't upload, the Christmas tree expedition didn't happen because of the snow, and walking outdoors just wasn't really an option because it was so cold!

The drive back was awful. What might have taken 4.5 hours took 8.25 hours. And I discovered that my fitness monitor showed that driving in slippery roads burns more calories!

Well after water aerobics tonight I weighed in: -4.5 pounds for the week, and that included Turkey day and a birthday party!

Blame it on the road conditions? Maybe I should drive in adverse conditions more often!

This year we had two dinners.. First one we went out to eat.. we took my grandfather to Golden Corral.. It was PACKED.. was kinda surprised.

The second dinner was Sunday. Ham and mac and cheese and baked beans and mashed potato's. Brownies to finish it off awwww

Mother glazes her ham with can of pineapples and brown sugar.

Hope you had a great holiday!