What's everyone doing for Thanksgiving?

Deb

It's almost here! What's everyone doing for Thanksgiving this year? Are you going somewhere or are people coming to your house? What's on your menu? Are there usually shots fired when your family gets together? Oh wait, scratch that last one. That's probably just me. LOL!

Seriously, whatcha doin' for the holiday this week?

Since my BFF Kathy is once again living in the civilized world (aka: Colorado), we get to spend Tday together for the first time in 32 years! We went grocery shopping together last week and have our cooking all coordinated. Her oldest son is making the first leg of his trip to our house to stay overnight with us and then we'll make the last 50 miles of the trip together. Her youngest son and his wife are expecting a baby any day and can't make the trip so it'll just be the five of us but I'm still really looking forward to it. It will be a day spent with the people I love the most and that's what it's all about.

Soooooooooooo, what's everyone else doing?

Deb

Just us and our youngest daughter. Finished a quick pickup and vacuuming after fur mud babies. Going out shortly to pick up the last of the groceries. Turkey (a small one) in the fridge thawing. The weather looks to be dreary and wet. Will hopefully will get some miniing on the quarter scale stuff done over the next few days between prepping stuff for the dinner. Need to keep things really mini since I work mostly on the kitchen island.

There have been shots for the past week. Not sure what is going on but since we live in a rural area, I would not be surprised if it was hunters. Do not know if or what season is open now.

Fred has the day off (Yay!) so it will be a day of lounging around. We are NOT celebrating Thanksgiving. Chelsea and Natalie have decided (as well as many of the Buddhist membership here in CT) that they do not want to celebrate a holiday having to do with the decimation of the Indian nations. All I wanted was turkey..and I had that this past weekend.

I cannot totally pretend that this is any other day so I am making Mexican food. Carne asada tacos, home made refried beans, chicken enchiladas, guacamole, home made corn tortilla chips...Yummy.

I am also making collard greens..LOL

I promised a friend of mine that I would make some for Turkey day and I would make enough so that she could have some too. She is a single mom working hard (even on Thanksgiving) so I will bring her a large container of it on Thursday morning. So we are having Mexican food and Collard greens..oh and deviled eggs.

It will just be the four of us...pretending that it is Thursday. hehehehe

The last couple of years our apartment building (small in a very small town) has gotten together for a potluck dinner, with turkey (I bought that last year - REALLY good coupon LOL), and eaten too much and had a really good time together. Most of us don't have much family, at least not in this area, so it was a really nice way to not be alone and have a real feast without doing all that much cooking.

Well, several months ago the old managers, who were a wonderful late middle aged couple, moved on to a better offer back on the coast of WA closer to their family, and we got a new manager. She is NOT working out. I think she's at heart a good person, just way too high-strong for the job, and she's managed to give the sharp side of her tongue to nearly everyone who lives here, sadly. So she let it be known that she would be providing the basics of a Thanksgiving dinner for this Thursday (or the management company would be) and to let her know which of us would be coming. Sadly, she's antagonized us all to the point no one wants to talk to her - believe me, it can be risky because you never know if she's going to be friendly or snarl at you or dump on you - so no one RSVP'd for this party. When I asked her what had happened, she informed me that no one had bothered to get back to her with a yes/no about it, so we could all go hang - that's pretty much a quote. Sad, sad, sad.

So I've ordered some Schwan's turkey pot pies, which I love and which will scratch that turkey itch, and I plan to share them with my neighbor for a nice, quiet dinner probably spent in front of his TV. Could be worse! :giggle:

Geeze is EVERYONE SICK? Whatever's going around is really nasty.

That apartment manager sounds like a doozy. Sadly, she'll go through life never understanding why people avoid her..I feel bad for people like that, but they do it to themselves, never realizing that if everyone else seems out of step but the shunned person, the likelyhood is that they're the actual problem, not everyone else.

LOL I'm not sure I can look another turkey pot-pie in the face..I've been living off them for days..that and rice, and bananas. Now I'm down to rice and bananas...I seem to keep getting reinfected with whatever is going around.

Needless to say, I won't be going to my brother in law's for thanksgiving. I still have so many antibiotic pills to take, and my body is protesting in the most unpleasant ways. My BIL lives alone, and if he were to get sick, we might not be aware of it until we 'invade his space'..and we worry about such things as falls, or flus, since he's an introvert and an extremely private person, and doesn't like to discuss anything, or call us, most of the time.

His only exceptions are family holidays when he throws open the door to family. Darn if I can figure him out, but frankly, if I make him sick, I'll never hear the end of it. I can't eat turkey dinner anyway, so I'm staying home. Zeb will go over to eat so he won't miss any turkey. And I'll have peace and quiet I've come to crave lately..even my hair hurts, and it's just not going away.

Happy Thanksgiving early anyway to one and all, LOL..eat as much as you can, sleep it off, then go back to the routine of daily life..we all need to splurge once in a while :doh:

:giggle:

We're having a spiral-cut ham with trimmings (baby limas, brussels sprouts, turnip greens & sweet potatoes) and a peacn braid for dessert. It's just us + DS#3, who will then take home most of the leftovers and feed them to his homeless friends.

There will be 8 of us. Me, Bill, my son, Bill's daughter and her boyfriend and Bill's mom, sister and niece. I am fixing turkey, Paula Deen's mac and cheese and broccoli casserole, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, dressing and giblet gravy, deviled eggs, coconut pie and my son is bringing pumpkin cheesecake.

DH, my little one and I are heading about 45mins. away to be with MIL's family...this is the first year that we've done this...this is the first year MIL isn't cooking...tough first Holiday without FIL... :giggle:

We won't be having turkey though...it's italian style...home-made sausage stuffing, lasagna, shrimp marinara...etc. So I am definitely craving turkey leftovers...anyone want to spare!?!

We will be venturing to Kissimmee to spend the holiday with my family. Still trying to figure out how to skirt around Ocala and not get caught in the traffic. My parents usually don't do a traditional dinner, so I have no idea what we will be eating, but my sister did promise me holiday frapps at Starbucks! Should be a fun couple days. We have to be back late Thursday though, since James works Friday.

We are going to DH oldest brother Rick's house (1st time they have invited whole family in our 21 yrs. of marriage :) ) - should be "interesting", to say the least. :doh:

If the discussions turn to religion or politics, there may be "shots fired" :w00t: :yikes: Hope we leave before it gets that far...LOL

HAPPY TURKEY DAY EVERYONE! :giggle:

Only shots being fired at my Thanksgiving will be shots of some sort of liquor...:giggle:

Our local pub..which is really more like a neighborhood center...hosts Thanksgiving every year for "the locals" -- those of us who stay around (about 2/3 of the people who live here are "snow birds", heading to warmer climes for the winter) and who either don't have family nearby, or don't choose to either have family come or go to visit family... like us! :doh:

Anyway, they provide the turkey..everybody else brings "whatever". A huge feast results. We're bringing cranberry conserve and 3 loaves of bread, but I'm sure there will be tons of veggies, ham, lots of sweets...and oh yes..some shots.. :)

It's deer hunting season here in full bloom..started last Saturday, goes through this Sunday, so outside shots are likely hunting bambi... :yikes:

I forgot to mention a major detail to the plan! My sister and I are getting back to our childhood roots and this year, we will introduce Cayce to the marvelous thing called the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. :giggle: I look forward to that (and the dog show) all year long. It's really the only reason I ever reconsider getting tv (which we haven't had the whole time James and I have been together). They should offer a short term plan. :doh: I just want it for the holidays to watch all the cool holiday specials. I will have to miss Christmas at Rockafeller (again) and that is sad.

No shots at our house unless the new owner of the 40+ acres behind us starts allowing hunters on the property again. I don't miss the sound of shotgun fire one bit.

We don't "do" Black Friday and Saturday the UF-FSU annual rivalry will be played in Tallahassee (even-numbered year), so we accepted an invitation to paddle a section of the Chipola River we've not been on before, that includes the "look & tremble" section (so I'll get to learn what that's all about). Sunday we're invited to attend a friend's birthday party (last year we joined her & her hubs for a day on St Vincent's Island).

Our local police no longer do the Toys for Tots, we found out when we tried delivering them all earlier last week, so I called one of my friends in Quincy whose church tok some of my toy rehabs last year, to see if she'd want any of them this year. FINALLY got to meet her DH when we showed up at their house; he belongs to the local Men of Action and they are very much into delivering toys for the disadvantaged children in our county. Afterwards DH & I went to run errands and our very first stop was one of the BIG Good Will stores; and they had two HUGE cans of Tinker Toys, so we are already off & running on next year's toy collection.

I had hoped to spend Thanksgiving at my parents house (they live about 1 1/2 hours away), especially since they've both had serious health issues this year, but I have to work so I won't be doing anything. I must confess that I'm bummed about it, but I work nights and between the 3-hour round trip and needing to sleep during the time the family will be eating, it just won't be workable. I guess, for the 2nd year in a row, I'll be having peanut butter & jelly. I need to be home anyway . . . I had to take my cat "Liam" to the vet AGAIN (for the umpteenth time) yesterday and I don't actually have gas money to go anywhere. My poor little Liam has already cost me hundreds (closer to 1,000, actually) of dollars. For all of you who will be celebrating, though, I wish you the happiest of Thanksgivings!

It's a small gathering here. My sister is planning to come and so is our son (but d-i-l has to work) but we have a terrible forcast for Thanksgiving..rain, freezing rain, ice and snow so I'm not sure if either of our guests will make it so it might just be John & I. While I have family in the immdediate area many of the members have chsoen to not clebrate holidays with the family. Some have become snowbirds and others have to work and so our group has dwindled away. This summer my mother chose not to speak to me again so I don't have to drive the 90 mile round trip to visit her. At first I was always depressed to see this happen but actually I am looking for a nice relaxing day. I'm peeling potatoes today, chopping and cooking the vegetables that go into the stuffing and making a pumpkin pie today. Tomorrw will be so relaxing! Hope all of the Greenleaf family has a great Thanksgiving.

It all sounds soooooooo wonderful! Ann, I love your pub tradition. The best family are the people whom you choose to spend time with. <grinning> Bruce always says he knows his family has had a good holiday if there are no reports of fatalities in his home town. <cackle>

I'm making very slooooooooow progress on the cooking today. The first thing is pulled pork for dinner tonight with Kathy's son so I put a big ole pork shoulder butt in the crockpot last night with my smoky bbq stuff for flavoring and when I woke up this morning it was smelling pretty darned good. It has another two hours to go before I take it out of the crockpot and start pulling it. After that it'll go back to simmer for a few more hours with just a touch of bbq sauce to keep it moist. Tonight all I'll have to do is set it on the table with some red hot sauce, buns, potato chips, dill pickles, and sweet tea. It's a southerner's version of paradise.

On the to-do list today for tomorrow is making a BLT dip for the veggie tray and baking a Chocolate Revel for dessert. I'll make the southern green beans tomorrow morning. That's the extent of my cooking this year. Bless her heart, Kathy knows that I'm somewhat limited right now so she's doing most of the cooking. The only reason she's letting me do the green beans is because she says she refuses to torture perfectly innocent little beans like that. <cackle> She prefers crisp and steamed while I slow cook mine with bacon and onion.

Deb

Our plans changed two days ago when Lloyd got back home. He flew to New Orleans for his 50th college reunion. He ignored the fact that he's 75+ years old and has more mechanical body parts than the Bionic Man. Burning the candle at both ends left him somewhat exhausted, to say the least. We cancelled the two-day drive to Atlanta and my sister's yummy holiday fare. It will be just the two of us, but we're looking forward to a quiet day together and having leftovers. :)

We just got back from Walmart with a turkey breast, pumpkin pie, yams, cranberry sauce, Stovetop turkey stuffing, etc. I'm about to Google turkey-in-a-crockpot and turkey-in-a-microwave and decide which way to go. Our oven is on the fritz.

I drove up last night with my two nieces to Idaho, trying to outmajor snow storm. The 3 hour drive took over 4 hours after we ran into the storm slightly over half way there. Driving in a snowstorm is much easier in anything resembling a town, because the lights give you an idea how visibility is beyond the limits of your headlights. With thick snowfall and blowing snow, I wasn't going more than 20-40 mph in some areas. Going down a narrow canyon, I kept the car in first gear the entire time! Once we were out of the canyon there were lights from the small communities and going was much easier.

I brought my dumb bells, resistance tubes, and a workout DVD to try to get my exercise in. I found a lower calorie version of sweet potatoes which uses some apple cider and orange juice in roasting them which I hope to be able to try.

We will go up the canyon on Thanksgiving to get the Christmas tree for my brother's 2.5 story living room. The big rivalry game between BYU and the U of U is Saturday. Last year I went to one of my brother's neighbor's house to watch the game, which requires a premium cable channel to watch. The U is going into the PAC 12 next year, and BYU is going independant, so the annual rivalry game as part of the holiday fesitivities may come to an end.

It will be just Hubby, Daughter, Dog and myself. I baked the pumpkin pie this morning and hid it in the fridge. The giblets are simmering. I put them in my half of the stuffing, and their half without. The bread is all cubed and ready. Tomorrow I'll put the 18 lb stuffed turtkey in, and will make the green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, yeast dinner rolls and cresent rolls and thaw the cheesecake. I buy the cranberry sauce in the can. This year I won't be making my yummy corn pudding, which my grandmother always made on holidays. I also won't be making sweet potatoes with marshmallows. I'll miss those terribly, but since being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, I have to cut carbs and sugars somewhere, and I just can't have Thanksgiving without stuffing and pumpkin pie!!!!! So, It's a trade off.

Have a Blessed and Happy Thanksgiving to all my dear ones here!

FINALLY beginning to feel a bit better today...but I'm not going to chance sticking my nose out the door..Zeb can bring home anything we need for the next few days. I have GOT to get rid of this before Dec 14th when I have jury duty.

Sounds like that snowstorm is giving a few of us a holiday nightmare. It doesn't snow here like it used to..not sure why. When I moved here 18 years ago, it was in 5 feet of snow, and the roads were horrible, almost non existant in some areas, with dangerous whiteouts through the mountain passes on interstates 15 and 17. But the past two years have been relatively mild. Can't be mild enough for me, lol..

Since so many of us will be 'on the road' tonite and tomorrow, I'll take now to wish you all Happy Turkey Day! GOBBLEGOBBLE!

Heya Rhonda...aww what's up with Liam? Sounds like he has something chronic.

:)

Baking the pumpkin and apple pies this evening. Small little butterball turkey thawing in rif, also other stuff assembled. Should have everything ready for 1 pm get together. Neighbor's hubby went into hospital so invited her and son to join us.