The Buttercup has (nearly) arrived!

The buttercup is my first Greenleaf house. I started it a couple months ago but got a bit frustrated with it and put it back in the box. I think I am about ready to tackle it again. Its a cute little house I really would like to build it. Good luck and share your progress!

There are nine sheets in the box. I kinda wish the instructions were just a little clearer about the names of the different pieces though. I'm still on the first step and wondering if I should prime both sides of the wood if I'm putting on wallpaper, and if I can prime one side at a time without the wood getting warped.

:)

Good heavens. I never even thought of warping from priming only one side.

I would take a guess and say you should prime both sides, because the wallpaper paste might react differently to unfinished wood. It may soak in. But those who have done dollhouses would be better to answer that, and the warping question as well.

Hi folks, I just finished building the Buttercup (check out my gallery and blog) and the only issues I had were getting the front entry side pieces mixed up during dry-fit (and having to cut new slots for them, but I covered it all up with trim anyway so no biggie), and the 2nd floor bowing a bit (probably should have soaked it and clamped to dry flat).

I didn't prime both sides of the walls, just the interior for the wallpaper-- I sided and painted my exteriors.

It was a fun little build, a nice break from the Willowcrest, though it took me longer than I had thought because I kept thinking of more things to do... :)

If you are going to wallpaper, I suggest you prime the surface first. Two reasons, it will seal the wood and keep resin from staining the paper, and if you decide to "remodel" later it makes the stripping of the old easier.

I fetched the Buttercup today, and I now have it home. I haven't taken it out of the box, though. I'm kinda tired and I don't suppose it's a good idea to start playing with the pieces without being rested and in a good mood.

The Dollhouse Cottage, where I got it, is fun. They have all kinds of stuff, and of course, I spent too much. Yep. No surprise there. But I had to get a rug. And I really wanted to get a little table and chair set, even though they're the plastic ones you paint. And the dozen little blank books will look nice somewhere.

So yeah. Next up: Taking the house out of the box. B)

Wow, I never even thought about priming on both sides when I did my Hogwart's Post for Sring Fling '10.I had tested the cement-like stuff I used on a piece of wood first and let it dry to see if it would warp.It didn't so I did the big building all in the cement.It's still good looking today.But I guess I should be more careful...putting on a Primer

wouldn't have hurt either way.Sometimes my ignorance makes me shudder!! B)

Actually I decided to just get it over with and try it, and I am getting a little bit of bowing on one piece. The right side of the house is turning up on one corner and the second floor is curved.

It might have something to do with the fact that I only primed one side at a time. I'm not sure, but I'm keeping those two pieces under some books to see if they straighten out. I updated my blog (link in sig) with the mistakes I have made so far. Lol.

Hmm. That's two of you who have mentioned bowing of the second floor. Methinks this could be a problem I should keep an eye out for!

Goodness. Who'd have thought there could be such a problem? B)

It seems good miniaturists are engineers, woodworkers, and interior decorators all in one. What have I gotten myself in for?? :)

Yep mine warped and bowed and that is one reason I stuck it back in the box. I even laid the pieces flat on the floor with heavy books to weigh them down but they are warped no doubt about it. I primed both sides but my method is more like sealing the wood with acylic spray. I don't think the spray contributes to the warping, it was the paint on the outside walls that did it. I have something a little unorthodox planned if I decide to get it out again and try to fix it up. I also cut off some of the tabs since they don't line up right anyway. Good luck!

Hmm. That's two of you who have mentioned bowing of the second floor. Methinks this could be a problem I should keep an eye out for!

Goodness. Who'd have thought there could be such a problem? B)

I've built 2 Buttercups, and didn't have any problems with warping, or with tabs on either. I stained both my floors, and from what I remember, I didn't paint the other side at all until it was built.

It seems good miniaturists are engineers, woodworkers, and interior decorators all in one. What have I gotten myself in for?? :)

Yep, sounds about right! But it'll be lots of fun!! :p

Sometimes pieces will warp if you put on a LOT of paint at one time..the more liquid that has to seep into the wood, the more your wood will warp. I know it's a pitb but if you brush on several coats of lightly applied paint, there will be less tendency to warp.

Yes I know, it's hard to be patient and do multiple coats of paint. But it really will help save you from pulling your hair out because everything gets all bowed. Think of it as therapy..remember Mr. Myagi in Karate Kid? He had the kid wash the floors in a slow, rythmic way, hehehee..the old guy had the right idea..

B)

Managed to straighten them out by putting some heavy manufacturer directories on top of them yesterday. However, I did just put on some wallpaper so it's possible I'll go down there this morning to a disaster. Luckily, I have an ally in my dad who knows some stuff about wood and he's coming to look at what I have, and possibly show me how I'm supposed to use clamps.

I wonder if slicing up wallpaper would be less nerve-wracking if I did it on top of a self-healing mat. I'm scared to find out what's under the 7 layers of newspaper on top of my desk.

I wonder if slicing up wallpaper would be less nerve-wracking if I did it on top of a self-healing mat. I'm scared to find out what's under the 7 layers of newspaper on top of my desk.

Better get yourself a self-healing mat. You'll sleep better at night. Okay, maybe not sleep better, but hey, you'll know you're safe to cut with abandon, as long as you don't go off the edge!

I saw something (and bought it) at Target. I don't know if it will work. But it's small electric battery run Christmas lights. They're too big, really, for the house, but they're battery-run! And I want a Christmas tree in the house. They also had these cute little trees that were about the right size, but they lit up by plugging them into a USB drive. How about that? Perfect for the desk! Not quite so perfect for the mini house, unless one happens to include a USB drive in the little house. B)

If I'm going to decorate as I build I go ahead and prime the insides and until I know how to finish the exterior I'll put a coat of clear sanding sealer on it when the primer's dry; and this is to prevent possible warping.

Talk about a slow start! :) I haven't even opened the box. My mom's been in the hospital this week, and I literally have not had the time to even think about it. :bear: But she's home again. I'm her main caregiver, so it's a little hard right now; she's lost what little strength she had because they didn't get her up while she was in the hospital, but I think I can get back on track. Hopefully.

I am first time logging on, so hello to all. It is so funny I was just looking at Buttercup to purchase and now I stumbled upon this blog. I am buying it now as my first house to build!

Nice to meet everyone. I am sure I won't tackle it till after holidays but I will read up on it and report back once I get going!

Happy Thanksgiving.

Kat :giggle:

• 2 weeks later...