Beacon Hill - front opening?

KathieB

I'm going to take the Beacon Hill kit to New Orleans to work on over the winter. I got to thinking that it would be nice be able to keep it flat against a wall in our small condo, close up the back to add a 4th wall to each room, and open the front.

Has anyone thought about or tried this?

I hadn't really thought about it, however it would be quite a challenging job! It sure would help in saving space though!! Good luck!! I hope it works out for you, I can't wait to see pictures of the finished product!!

Yes! I would love a front opening Beacon Hill. It's my only issue with mine. I love it but I have a small house in RL and front opening is just so much easier for me to live with. I actually considered selling my BH, buying another kit and bashing it to be front opening and got intimidated, so I bought the Tennyson to practise on.

The basics of making the Tennyson front opening were simple enough, I built the base and sides first, then built and attached a solid back, and used hinges and small square framing dowels to attach the front in three parts, but the plans I had for the roof - to make them lift up the way some of the RGT front opening houses do, just doesn't work for me.

I'd love to see you try it with a Beacon Hill, I'm just not brave enough! :D

Stop that! I was hoping y'all would tell me I'm nuts to even think about it, but looks as if I'll have to try it. Looking at the front, it appears that the left front section with the bay window could be hinged, but can't tell how it relates to the porch. The center and right sections could be hinged along the right front corner, which would open up the foyer, which would be nice.

And what about the roof sections; hinge them to flip upward? Or connect the front of each tower roof to the panel that opens?

When we get to New Orleans, I'll have to pull out the instructions and schematics and a big pad of scratch paper. This one is going to take some planning, but I love to bash, so ... here goes nothing!

• Like 1

OMG woman what a fabulous idea!!! i've looked at mine and it would definately be do-able!!!!

the roof would take some tweaking but not too hard

also what about opening the sides instead? although this wouldnt let the hall be seen...hmmmmmmmm maybe a combo of both?

wow this is a great idea Kathie! i will be following with baited breath!! :D :D

OH No!!! Stop that right now Kathie :) okay, now that I said that I have to tell you the truth.... I think that is a Splendid idea!! I am looking at the one I have here and I think it can be done and will look fabulous! I think I would have loved that better too because then their is no need to turn this big house around. Can't wait to see you do it Kathie and I hope you take LOTS of pictures of it!

Okay. I'm committed. Or ready to be committed. There's a fine line ... :)

Probably won't begin the bash until after the first of the year but you can believe it will be in the front of my mind all through the travel, the move, the holidays, and whatever else life throws at us. :)

Although in another thread I said I don't really plan ahead, just think the end vision and go for it, in this case I believe I'll be making some preliminary sketches and maybe even a mock-up in cardboard. I'll blog it.

I like the idea of being able to see into the foyer ... but the stairs are now going to block part of the dining area, which is another challenge. I'm thinking of a new stairway, one that isn't quite so solid ... or a large mirror on the back wall to reflect the backside of the stairs ... or both.

The wheels keep turning ... :)

I like the idea of being able to see into the foyer ... but the stairs are now going to block part of the dining area, which is another challenge. I'm thinking of a new stairway, one that isn't quite so solid ... or a large mirror on the back wall to reflect the backside of the stairs ... or both.

The wheels keep turning ... B)

Was trying not to cover up the view of the front door in the Willow with the stairs, so I made a new stair case with just the treads, leaving out the risers, so you can see through to the front door :)

I remember, Muriel. That may have given me the idea for opening up the stairway. I think no risers would be a bit too modern for a 19th c Victorian, but I could replace the ballusters/handrail pieces that come with the kit with individual ballusters, handrail, newell post. Or possibly use a curved stairway.

Oh, Tracy, I hadn't seen that one. It is beautiful! I love the warm colors and the woodwork is so elegant! I wonder if the curved stairway could face the front door ... something more to ponder. B)

I've been thinking that maybe the original stair would work if moved to the new back wall (assuming the front is opening) as Tracy suggested. It would open up the foyer/dining area. The door to the kitchen could be moved to the front of the house. I'm looking forward to seeing Tracy's BH up close and personal week after next. I'm sure it will help jell some of my fleeting thoughts. :bear: