I want a kitten!

Jeffrey

It's with teary eyes I'm digging up this old post with some sad news to report. Little Socky passed away last night. We gave him a good home and lots of love. He was a good friend to our family these past 3 years and 4 months.

We thought he had a UTI, which he did, so the vet gave us meds for him but after a couple of days he wasn't getting any better so they said to bring him in right away. he was fully blocked and couldn't pee. They did surgery to drain the urine and gave him fluids but his temperature was really low and then his blood sugar was really low and he was having trouble breathing. He was on oxygen and then he had a seizure They also said he had fluid in his abdomen so they had to do tests to see if his bladder ruptured. It didn't. He was stable for a while but then around 2am they called and said his kidneys failed and he went into cardiac arrest. I can't believe he went so downhill so fast he was perfectly fine last week. They said it was probably a misdiagnosis and it was the kidneys all along which caused the bladder problems. The kidneys were likely an underlying problem he had for a while that we wouldn't have known about until it was too late anyway. He was almost 4 years old but they said it could have been a problem he was born with that finally just showed up.

We are more in shock due to his age and how normal he seemed a week ago. It's was so unexpected. I can't even count the number of times I asked myself yesterday "did this really just happen? For real?" I really just wish I could have seen him one last time without the catheters and IVs and oxygen tubes to say goodbye. :(

Oh Jeff, I'm so very sorry. Socks was a sweetie and even tho his time here was short, it made a big impact on a lot of people. You gave him such a good home and rescued him from a terrible life. He was loved and he loved you right back. I'm sorry that you didn't have a chance to prepare or to say goodbye to him but I think that the souls of our furbabies stay around a little while before crossing the Rainbow Bridge so they can comfort the humans they leave behind. He's still close to you and there will always be a special place in your heart just for him.

Deb

• Like 2

Thanks, Deb.

He was a goofy little guy with so much personality. I'll never forget the way he used to sleep with his head on the pillow and sit up on the couch like a little person, the funny little "alien noises" he used to make in his sleep and as he walked, and how he would jump down off furniture with the graceless thud of a sack of potatoes. :throb:

• Like 2

Jeff,I wasn't around GL when you got Socks,but being a cat lover I know the grief of their loss and I am so sorry for you. It sounds like y'all gave him a great life for a few years that he may not have otherwise had,so take some comfort in that,dear boy. God bless you.

• Like 1

Jeff, I started reading this post from the beginning, not realizing how old it was, and I was really rooting for you to get this cat, as I thought you just found him. I was going to post a message of support, telling you how much this cat looks like the one I have in my dollhouse and that my miniature cat is also named Socks. Then I saw the last few posts, and my heart sank.

I never had a cat in real life, and I am much more of a dog person; but I believe anyone who has loved a pet will know how you feel. They are like family, and everyone grieves differently. When my little dog Missey died, my family and I were inconsolable for months, but now we can talk about her with love and joy. She made our family stronger, and she will always be a part of me.

I am very sorry for your loss, but I wish you many heartfelt memories to ease the pain.

• Like 1

You know what Jeff it is terribly sad and I so feel badly for you but at the end of the day you took in a stray cat and he had a great life with you even if it was short being cared for and well fed. Imagine what a terrible death that would have been if he had had to do it alone and without any medical care, as it was he had a good end thanks to you. It was as if he had to find you and come and live with you, you were his own guardian angel. Rest in peace little friend.

• Like 1

Jeffrey I am very sorry that you lost Socks. I know thats one of the most horrible feelings to have when you loose a ''family member''. But like it has been said before you and your family gave him a wonderful life and he was taken good care off even thoug he had a rough start in his little life.I dont think that we will ever understand why we have to loose a pet and it is just heartbreaking.

The one thing nobody can take from you is the memories you have of him. Right now they hurt and they will for awhile but one day you will have memories of him and you can smile about it. But no other will replace him and thats how it is supose to be. I wish you strength and I am very sorry for you.

R.I.P. Socky

• Like 1