Question about Live Chat

some used to try....but I think its mostly because we are all on at different times.

we tried to have regular chats but it kind of just of went by the wayside.

its a shame though!

I think a chat moderator with a regular time and maybe even a mini topic or 2 to get the things going.

it would be nice if it got more use!

nutti ^_^

It was a lot of fun. I believe now it's used mostly for classes. Before the last round of site improvements there used to be a box below the others showing who was on site & who had been on site, that showed )albeit belatedly) who all were in the chatroom, and I miss that feature. If no one showed up someone would begin PM'ing the others to get up a chat.

Melissa was doing Tuesday mornings before her dress-on-the-hanger class. If I knew I were going to be home at a particular time of day or on a particular day, I'd do it, but I learned this past year trying to be a HOSTS mentor that we just have too many activities & errands to set any regular schedule (makes me wonder when & how we found time to work an 8+-hour day!).

I have popped in a couple of times and no one shows up
Same here.

It would be good to have a chat time once a week.

At least. Why did the "who's in chatroom" box disappear? It was sort of nice to finish off an evening chatting with y'all whenever.

That's what I mean, my forum homepage no longer has a box to show who is or isn't in live chat. Also, before when I went into the chatroom I could minimize the chat box to check out the posts; now when I go into the chatroom it takes forever to load AND it loads as a "next" page, so if I minimize it I minimize the whole forum!

When I clicked on your name there was a button there that said you were in live chat, but it was taking so long to load I'd figure you'd be gone by the time I got in.

I'd love to be in on a live chat with anybody who would like to do it. If I weren't tied up with babysitting grandkids as much as I do, I'd volunteer to be a moderator, but can't predict my schedule enough to be able to do that. It seems to me that if we agreed on a set time, maybe it would work for some, if not all.

I just feel such a strong community spirit in this forum...and maybe some of the topics that have been discussed, especially some of the ones that people need to get off their chests, would be great topics.

Of course, it's a perfect forum for classes.

Havana Holly, do you have the latest version of Java? Maybe that would help. Don't know...I'm not a computer expert.

At any rate, it would be fun to chat, and anybody who wants to, just let me know.

Again Holly, The box will only show up if someone is actually in the Chat room. Otherwise you won't even see a spot that says who is in the chat room. It won't show up if nobody is in the chat room :o

The box at the bottom of the homepage shows up even if a person does not have the updated Java (I had hubby try it on his laptop computer at work and it shows up on the homepage that I am in the chat room and it does not have the new java cause he can't go into the chatroom while on his computer ^_^ ).

Hope this helps

I tried going into the chatroom after reading the above & my 'puter "froze" up, I had to shut it down & restart it to get control back. Not fun. I liked the "old" one better, when my forum homepage showed who was in chat and the chatroom dialog box was a separate clickable box. Y'all's may still be that way, mine's not.

:D That's about what I thought.

Hmmm. The only Java I have is from the "old" new forum. I deleted the cookies and tried & it froze up then. I'll give that method another try before I go offline again.

Yoo-hoo, Dean, before in chat I could minimize the chat box to check out someone's posted link and then maximize it without leaving the chatroom; now the chatroom opens an a next page and if I want to check out the rest of the forum I have to back out & exit.

BTW, I repeated the nonsense I did yesterday and this time the chat window opened & then fussed at me for not talking on it while I was checking out the features.

Sooooooo, after all of the "chat" about "chatting", is anybody willing to try again? I would love to see a topic that would involve everyone talking about their favorite shortcuts, tricks, discoveries, favorite glue, etc. That would be fun and very helpful to newbies like me.

:D Holly, I love it that you've had such a personal encounter with the chat room. LOL!

Maybe that means something!

BTW, I repeated the nonsense I did yesterday and this time the chat window opened & then fussed at me for not talking on it while I was checking out the features.

Sometimes I go into chat and if there's no one there, I'll talk to myself. (actually, I like playing with the sounds) But I've never had the chat fuss at me. :D <flipping out a notebook and pen> So Holly, lay down here on the couch and tell me about the chat fussing at you. Do other inanimate objects fuss at you for not paying attention to them too? Besides houses I mean. That's normal.

Deb

Well, Deb <lying on couch>, I was born at a very early age, a heckuva long time ago ("in the olden days", as my DSs used to say)... No, so far only this chatroom and, of course, the houses. Although our old beagle used to talk, but he talked to EVERYBODY & our last vet's staff called him "the fussy old man".

... before in chat I could minimize the chat box to check out someone's posted link and then maximize it without leaving the chatroom; now the chatroom opens an a next page and if I want to check out the rest of the forum I have to back out & exit.

Holly,

All you have to do to browse while in the chat room is look at the top of the chatroom box - where it says where you're at. It will say" Greenleaf Miniature Community > Live chat" Right click on Greenleaf Miniature community that will (if you're on a PC) open a mini menu then click on "open in new window" - it will leave you in chat but open a new browser window for the greenleaf forum and take you directly to the forum main page.

-David

Thanks, David, that was the sort of thing I was exploring when I got this lovely little message in red telling me essentially that I was in the chatroom and I wasn't chatting. I'll check that out. If we're all going to start chatting again, I definitely want to know how it all works!

Actually, I know for a fact that the chat room works just fine, since I had the pleasure of chatting with David (Hydroped) a couple of hours ago. It was very user-friendly and I learned a lot in a short time from what we chatted about. I'd say, "why not drop by to see who's available and if there's somebody there, voila! a chat on anything your little heart desires!" I really enjoyed talking to you, David! Thanks for the info you provided.

Come on, everybody, chatting is good! Just think of all the wonderful things that could be discussed!!

You can always have 2 browser windows open, One for chat, one for browsing.

I will keep the chat window open this morning.. It is 6am. If I dont reply right away I am probably in the kitchen and will be right back.

:D