70% off House that Jack Built kits at Miniatures.com

minifan

I wonder if HBS are not going to have the House that Jack built houses in future? The last two catalogs didn't have them listed at all. Maybe the sale was to get all their stock sold.

This is exactly what I thought...

Post pictures!!! :)

Ohhhh that's the one thing that worries me about my 'wish house'..the only other house I'm wishing to buy. The thought of it suddenly disappearing from that company's inventory makes me sick to my stomach, ACK.

Do companies yank houses from their catalogues fast? Or do they give fair warning, most of the time. If I knew that my wish house were going to end up on the "Never again" list..I'd make more effort to save for it now.

I'd even give up my precious chocolate treats..and that's going some. Chocolate is the one thing that will put me in a good mood, when all else fails!

:)

I wanted the Holly Ann, but it was gone so quickly! I waffled over the rest and ended up with the Lisa Kay. Totally different from the Glencroft in every possible way. I may actually try wallpaper! It's arriving on Friday. So now what do I do with the other three still in boxes? <sigh> I need a bigger RL house.

I wanted the Holly Ann, but it was gone so quickly! I waffled over the rest and ended up with the Lisa Kay. Totally different from the Glencroft in every possible way. I may actually try wallpaper! It's arriving on Friday. So now what do I do with the other three still in boxes? <sigh> I need a bigger RL house.

OH YEAH...I love your Glencroft sooo much, I can't wait to see what you do with another house... :bear:

I just noticed Fed Ex has the weight of the Holly Ann at 44 pounds. I forgot how heavy 3/8" plywood is. Not as bad as MDF but I won't be moving it much. :bear: The catalog pics don't give much info about the room shapes. It's coming today so I'll know soon enough. The outside looks a lot like the Fairfield but the inside I think will be quite different, just going by what I can see of the stairs. I thought I might add some hinged pieces to the attic roof on the open sides of the house to make it look more finished.

I've seen the Holly Ann up close. My mom was going to get that one before she changed her mind and bought the Thornhill. It actually resembles the SeaSide Villa moreso than the Fairfield. That is what stopped me from getting that one...the fact that it's so similar to my SeaSide. Nice house though and HTJB dollhouses are very well constructed with great quality wood. I liken them to RGT in terms of wood quality and construction.

OH YEAH...I love your Glencroft sooo much, I can't wait to see what you do with another house... :bear:
Thank you, Amanda! A funny thing happened about the Glencroft just this week. I've been working on the interior since last year, making furniture, drapes, etc. all by hand for the 3 Blind Mice dollhouse show here in two weeks. When I entered it in the show last year, there was nothing inside it but the walls and floors. I've been working on it every spare moment to get ready for this year's show. The funny thing is that there's a rule I didn't know about. Any entry that won a first place prize last year is ineligible to be judged again for the next two years. I was so disappointed! If I'd known, I would have held off entering until it was completely finished. Live and learn! So, I dragged out my unopened Sugarplum to see if I can turn it into a Christmas cottage in two weekends. Wish me luck! The HTJB house will be next in line.

Speaking of Christmas cottages, does anyone know a good way to make snow-covered ground and snow on the roof that doesn't blow around? I'm thinking of paperclay dusted with tiny crystal glitter.

I scored a Rose Marie! I had put minis aside for a while but now I'm feeling the itch again. I'd been looking for the perfect house for the family from the play/movie You Can't Take it with You, and this might be it.

Not only don't I have room for another house, I don't even have room for another flat, boxed kit!!!

My Holly Ann was just delivered. Some of the 44 pound weight of course is the packaging. It had so much styrofoam it almost filled the box after the house pieces were out. Very well packaged

After reading the instructions I'm so glad they have photographs, not just drawings of how the house goes together. I know for sure the interior walls will have to be primed, painted or wallpapered before it's all put together. You could not get in to a lot of places to do any of that once it's all assembled. It mentions painting the exterior walls and priming the inside if you wish. It should say or else :bear: . I always stain my floors first and prime hard to reach places just to make things easier on any house interior but on this one it would have to be done. All the ceilings will be painted first also.

The support wall on the back of the house doesn't have windows like in the HBS picture. I'm glad of that because that piece is too small to be considered a wall. This should be a real adventure just because of the shape of the interior. It's a 24" square house with five partitions total on first and second floors. The attic just has two small ones. I'm almost afraid to start. I'll get the floors stained and walls primed but not being sure how the rooms are laid out, it will take awhile to decide what room goes where. The bathroom to the left of the stairs on the second floor is the only one I'm sure of. The basic structure looks fairly straightforward in the pics but deciding on wallpaper etc for the walls will be the hard part. I'll take pics when it starts to take shape. It's a good thing this was 70% off or I'd really be worried. :)