GreenLeaf Orchid Dollhouse Questions

AdamT

Good Morning All....

Well I took the plunge and started The Orchid. This is my first house, I am makeing it for my god-daugher for Christmas. I have a few questions and I hope that some of you out there in dollhouse land can answer them.

So far I have done only steps 1-5, and it's turning out to be messy project painting each piece.

1. Before assembly, can you put a coat of primer on the front and back of the wood pieces, then "pop" them out?

2. After primer has dried, and ready for top coat, is it recommend to do both sides of the pieces IE: doors, windows?

Thanks,

Adam

Hi Adam, Welcome to the forum! When you get a chance, please head over to the Newcomer's Forum and introduce yourself to the whole gang!

The Orchid is a cute house, and how sweet of your to make it for your god-daughter. She will love it!

You can search the forum for helpful tips on building, there are lots here. But the most important, even though the directions say to, is to NOT use hot glue. Please use a good wood glue, or even tacky glue to build your house.

I have painted a whole sheet before popping it out, and it worked okay, but not great. I imagine it would probably be okay for larger pieces like walls and floors. But, I would try and mask off where your tabs will be, and not paint/prime those areas. Also, if you plan to stain your floors, don't paint or prime them. The stain itself will be enough to seal the wood.

Before you actually start the gluing, you can put your house in "dryfit" to get an idea of how the house will look, and where you may want to decorate first before building.

I don't usually paint both sides of door and window trim. I may go around the edges a little just in case the back shows a little, but I don't paint the whole thing.

Any other questions, feel free to ask!

Good luck and have fun!

Hi Adam, and welcome ... what Tracy said. :wave:

Also, it's a good idea to prime both sides of large pieces to minimize warping, but for trim pieces, it isn't really necessary.

It is a good idea to paint all of the trim bits before gluing them in place. If you have the same fumblefingers that I enjoy, you may want to try wrapping masking tape sticky side out around a real size paint stirrer stick (or a ruler or any other flat stick) and sticking the trim bits on it. You can paint the top and edges more easily that way.

Hi, Adam, if you click on "Blogs" at the top of the page you will find TWO building blogs for the Orchid. I don't prime or paint until I have at least dry-fit the kit with masking tape, to see what will be impossible to reach after it starts to go together. Bare wood sticks better to bare wood. PLEASE don't use hot glue!

Unless you're unusually dextrous with a paint brush, you might wish to wait to install windows until after you've decorated the interior & exterior.

Your goddaughter is going to have so much fun with this little house!

I've used plain carpenter's wood glue, Probond & Titebond and I like them all. I do assemble FIRST, before priming, painting or staining. If I MUST decorate an area prior to gluing it up, I mask off the part I'll need to glue. If it's for a very young child I also take 1/4" square stripwood and cut it to length to glue to the interior corners of the house to reinforce it. I also use a heavy-duty Stanley stapler & staples to reinforce the corners, whether I use stripwood or not, since I tend to flip the house around a lot during the building & decorating process. I do floor and ceiling treatments before assembly, masking any areas to be glued. I lay out the window & door trims and trace around them and mask them, too.

One of the suggestions you might read about is to put the kit into dry fit first. Basically you take a roll of masking tape and build the kit holding it together with masking tape. This not only helps you to make sure you understand the instructions, but allows you to take your time to decide which parts will be a bear to get to to decorate once it's built. I also find that often the kit will tell me all sorts of things it wants, or wants bashed, before I actually start laying glue on it.

Hi Adam! I always use Elmer's regular glue or Elmer's wood glue..so far so good! And

I always dryfit with tons of masking tape to hold walls in place.Even after you are gluing the house together masking tape will come in handy.I made the mistake of putting in

the windows,doors and the porch brfore I painted them and it will just be harder to be neat now that they are in place.Good luck on your Orchid..it's a sweet house!! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Adam,

I'm new too and am on my second Orchid.

I have found it best do paint the floors and ceiling first. I punch out the pieces, because I have tried it with painting first and the pieces were harder to punch out.

I also think it is best to do windows and trim last. I put shingles on while I am attaching the dormers or else the bits that hang down will not be covered. Also, I put thin masking tape on a row of shingles then glue them with quick grab glue. It dries quickly enough to keep working but it isn't permanent for about 10 minutes.

If you put the tiny hinges on the door, sand the door down and put the hinge between the house shell and the door trim, before the porch is attached.

I hope this helps.