Problem With Beacon Hill Stairs

There is something very quirky going on with my staircase. My treads are supposed to overlap by 1/8". My landings overlap perfectly, but the treads don't. Most treads don't overlap at all, and the few that do only overlap slightly, which just gives a "those don't fit" look. In addition to that, one of my landings isn't even cut into a perfect square. Add that to the fact that the wood is splitting around the edges on quite a few of the pieces, and I'm starting to get a bit concerned. The whole staircase is a disaster, and I'm not quite sure what to do. This is my first house, so I am an amateur, but it appears that a lot of the pieces aren't cut right to begin with. Has anyone else had this much of a problem with their stairs? Do I need to call Greenleaf with the problem? I haven't started my second floor staircase, so I don't know if I will have the same problem there. I am at the spot where all my risers are glued to the frame, but I haven't glued any treads yet.

One option I have considered is to just have stairs without the overlap, although that means I will have to cut and sand the landings back so it will be uniform. I was also considering a stair runner to begin with, so maybe that will cover up the mess. But before I consider that option, I need to make sure my second floor has the same issue.

Help!

Stacey

Hello,

Have not built the stairs, I decided to put readymade stairs in instead. They are the houseworks #7100 narrow staircase kit. The second floor fits perfect, height that is and the main floor will need an extra step added. YOu just have to adjust the openings to fit them, and then close up the extra portions that would have been used for the old staircase.

There is some pics of the beginning of my progress in my pic album. Im sure that if you dont go this way someone from the forum will be able to help, lots of nice beacons here.

I know that im having to fix lots of things that are not fitting right and making extra cuts and adjustments to just get mine to be somewhat level. It seems all my pieces are a little wonky.

Jenn

Hi Jet. Any pictures or measurements you have would be wonderful. My stairs are in limbo right now, because I'm not sure what the best course of action would be.

Mad Hatter, your stair idea is wonderful. I'm hooked on the idea of keeping the original winding staircase, but your idea did get me thinking pretty hard. I bet your method really opens up that 2nd floor hallway a lot. I also know what you mean about the wonky fittings. Some of my stuff has fit so poorly that I find myself referring back to the schematics over and over to make sure I'm using the right pieces. I probably wouldn't second guess myself so much if I wasn't new to this. I'm still lovin' it though. All it takes is a few choice vocabulary words and a little extra sanding, and I can work around the boo boo's. :blink:

Stacey

If you love the idea of a winding staircase, ive also seen the orgional one done, but with new balusters, newell posts ect. You might consider doing this if some of the pieces are not fitting properly.

Im in the middle of deciding what newell post to use, one with kit or not? Where to put, etc. So many choices.

I do know that when you are finished the siding will cover a lot of things that you might be worried about now, and wallpaper paneling will also cover alot up. Im putting wainscotting in alot of the house, mainly because it's beautiful but also to cover up where ive moved walls ect.

Happy Building,

Jenn

Greetings. New here, but I've put together many, many Greenleaf houses in the past. (probably over 25). Greenleaf houses are excellent for the money, but I have encountered ill-fitting pieces, and stair problems. What I did was to cut new stair treads from purchased wood. A local hobby shop should have lengths of hobby wood in various widths and thicknesses. Cut to fit, and then you can sand the end of the treads if you like..round them off...or leave them squared. I always kept extra lengths of wood handy in case a piece just would not fit right. It's fairly easy to cut a new piece that fits! After painting and papering and siding is done, no one knows the difference. Kits are wonderful, but don't be afraid to upgrade things, such as windows, doors, etc.

I'd like to add that I always keep the scrap wood after the parts are punched out. It can be a good source of wood for a new part. Many times I've had to fashion a new piece from scrap, since a piece cut from hobby wood just did not suit.

Problem is now solved I was using my 2nd floor staircase treads on the 1st floor staircase. If I ever write a book called "What Not To Do When Building A Dollhouse", I will include the part about noticing that there are two #12 sheets for the Beacon Hill, and that not all treads are the same size. :D

BTW Jenn, I saw some pics of a completed BH where they did something similar to what you are doing with the stairs. It looked absolutely gorgeous. If you want the link, then just let me know.

Stacey

Problem is now solved I was using my 2nd floor staircase treads on the 1st floor staircase. If I ever write a book called "What Not To Do When Building A Dollhouse", I will include the part about noticing that there are two #12 sheets for the Beacon Hill, and that not all treads are the same size. :D

BTW Jenn, I saw some pics of a completed BH where they did something similar to what you are doing with the stairs. It looked absolutely gorgeous. If you want the link, then just let me know.

Stacey

Stacey,

Link would be great, just wondering if it's the one on webshots. There is a beautiful one there. Glad the stairs are sorted out. I know that ive had to look at the directions a few times and then look again to figure out what im doing. Now im just trying to figure out what im going to do about what windows to choose and what front door to put in.

Jenn

would give up my first born for that bathtub she has in there. If anyone here knows where to get that, then please do tell.

That is a tres European bathroom! The bathtub looks very much like a set of fixtures I bought from HBS quite a while back for the scratch-built Craftsman cottage I drafted plans for & hope to live long enough to build.