My paperclay hearth and bricks

Joeanna

Hi everyone,

Well I did it---I made my bricks and hearth from paperclay---my first dealing with the medium and I am very pleased. Take a look!!

Joeanna

This one has the bricks

Joeanna

post-781-1152829886_thumb.jpg

post-781-1152829981_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the comments but I think I'm in trouble!!!!!! When I found this site and read about everyone making so many houses, I wondered why. Well I'm having so much fun doing this and it is coming out so good, that I'd love to do another one. Just what I need---another project. LOL

Joeanna

When I found this site and read about everyone making so many houses, I wondered why

I guess you just answered your question! Building dollhouses is like eating potato chips...

I'm building the Glencroft and I can see how this can be addictive!!!!! Everytime I look at the house, I get a new idea. But you guys are the ones who blazed the trail and made this an easy project . By putting up the blog with step by step views of the building and getting through the tough spots, made this a pleasure rather than a frustrating project. As I go through this site more, I can't believe the other great things like the fireplace tutorial and much, much more. I'm a stickler for things that are miniature not looking hoaky and this is coming together better than I thought. I'm not doing step by step photos because it's been done but as I get farther along I will post more photos. I'm still putting in the wiring. Things go slow because you have to finish things before going further -----like that interior staircase.

I can't work on it tomorrow but I plan on working on it all weekend!!

Joeanna

Thanks for the comments but I think I'm in trouble!!!!!! When I found this site and read about everyone making so many houses, I wondered why. Well I'm having so much fun doing this and it is coming out so good, that I'd love to do another one. Just what I need---another project. LOL

Joeanna

LOL! Welcome to the addiction!

BTW, I love your hearth and your hearth!

I just love the paperclay. Last night I did the upstairs hearth in more of a rounded stone. When I get a chance to paint it, I'll upload a photo. My daugher bought a very expensive, already assembled and heavy dollhouse for my grandaughter for Christmas. When I was there and looking at it for potential decoration, it seemed lacking in detail---just plain walls. This Glencroft is adorable with it's wood bin, beams, bookcase, window seat anf the magnificent outside. To me it is much more for a lot less money.

For the painting of the bricks I used oil paint. I smudged 4 colors (black, Alizarin red, burnt ochre and raw umber) ramdomly on the bricks. Then I did a paint thinner wash to blend the colors. When that was dry I did a couple of coats of matte spray and it made the depth of the color and texture just pop. They are much better in person than in the photo. In the house they look so real.

Joeanna