Weird sandwich combinations

grazhina

A few days ago Heidi bumped up an old thread, favorite sandwich combinations, and while thumbing through an old cookbook, I found something that made me think of that thread.

The following is from the American Woman's Cookbook, 1957 edition. My mom had the 1943 edition, and the books are almost identical. The only change I could find was that the newer book no longer included the "Victory" segment.

Peanut Butter and Pickle Sandwiches

1/2 c peanut butter

1/2 c chopped pickle

1/4 c cream or hot water

Cream peanut butter and water together and add chopped pickle. Use between thin, buttered slices of bread.

Peanut Butter and Onion Sandwiches

1 c peanut butter

1/4 c mayonnaise

1 small Bermuda or Spanish onion

Beat peanut butter, add mayonnaise and spread sandwiches. Slice onion in very thin slices and put a layer of these over mixture on bread.

BTW, the recipe just before these two was one for a peanut butter and banana sandwich. Some guy in Toronto claims he invented it, but I'm pretty sure I recall it from the 1940's edition. This sandwich wasn't toasted like Elvis's though.

Ah, yes, the good old peanut butter and pickle sandwich! I've had it a couple of times and that was enough; never had the nerve to try the peanut butter and onion one, though I know at least two guys who swear by them. :)

Now, the peanut butter and banana sandwich - NOT fried! - is one of our old family standby's. My mother used to eat them as a child, and since she was born in 1923 I'd say she pre-dates the guy in Toronto. Ours were peanut butter on one slice of bread, preferably white, mayo on the other slice, and sliced bananas between the two. A comfort food for me! :)

This thread brought back memories of how my junior high school best friend and I used to "get creative" of an afternoon after school - we'd pretty much invent these weird sandwiches, put together out of any old thing in the fridge that wasn't earmarked for something else, slapped between two slices of bread....I can't remember any specifics, but some did end up in the trash after one or two bites LOL. Being young teenage girls, though, we'd eat just about anything that wasn't nailed down. :)

My dad used to mix peanut butter, bananas, and pancake syrup. He loved that stuff!

When my kids were in high school, I chaperoned a lot of band trips. The high school principal would have me make him peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches to eat, while he drove the equipment van. He finally got me to try a bite and I thought I was going to throw up! Yucch!!

Me - Ketchup sandwich (for a fancier version add a little butter on the bread first)

My kids used to call these energy sandwiches and ate them grilled or cold - cheese, peanut butter and orange marmalade.

The pb and banana one has to be eons old cuz all my way older family always knew about it.

Oh also mine - bread and butter pickles with extra sharp cheese on seeded hearty rye - cold and no dressing.

DS1 used to like butter and sugar sandwiches. When I was pregnant with DS2, he got on a kick about ketsup and ham sandwiches for breakfast. I'd put the ham on the bread, clear a path to the bathroom, pour on the ketsup and run throw up. Could not stand the smell of that stuff for several months!

I used to like toast with cottage cheese and grape jelly.

Sounds gross now!

Natalie used to lick her fingers at the beach and chew on the sand. Like fingernails on a chalkboard.

I think I might like the pb and onion. But a sweet Vidalia onion.

I used to have pb toast and smash my breakfast bacon in between. It was pretty good.

Peanutbutter and creamcheese with crushed pineapple! YUM! My DM had a meat grinder that she used to make the most "interesting" sandwich fillings (I threatened to take some to school for a science experiment once)...

One thing I have never tried but curious about is pimento cheese. How does that taste??

Pimento Cheese

1 pound sharp cheddar cheese

1/2 pound Monterey Jack cheese

2 medium kosher dill pickles (the original version of the recipe called for Claussen's pickles, but I've found that most brands suffice)

2 or 3 cloves of garlic (three cloves yields a powerful garlic punch; adjust the amount to suit your taste)

1 4-ounce jar of pimentos (or pimientos, as they are also called), drained

Cut all ingredients except the pimentos into large chunks. (The pimentos are already chopped.) Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse just long enough to roughly chop. You don't want to puree the ingredients, just make them pliable for the next step.

Put in large bowl and mix with about 3 good tablespoons of mayonnaise. (I use Duke's, a Southern brand based in Richmond, Va., that many pimento-cheese aficionados prefer.)

Refrigerate, but set out for 20 to 30 minutes before use.

Our family pimento cheese is pretty basic - just grated good, sharp cheddar cheese and chopped pims, with mayo to moisten; we used to run this through the Osterizer to make a smooth spread.

Nowadays the few times I get an unbearable craving to pim cheese, I replace most of the mayo with cottage cheese that's been smoothed out in the blender.

I really love this with celery, or on carraway rye bread.

I think it would be really yummy to spread on veggies. I think I am going to try it.

We use the new Kraft Mayo with Olive Oil. It is really good. Natalie even remarked that she liked is so much better. We can only find it in our local Walmart. No stores have it around here.