Advice needed on Glencroft

Joeanna

Hello everyone,

I am new to this community. I just love all the information that all of you have shared about a vast array of subjects regarding miniature house building. All the info posted re: the Glencroft will be a huge help to me. They all are fantastic and beautiful. All this said--here is where I stand. I have taken my time to read as much as I can on the pros and cons of all the types of construction materials etc. and decided on the Glencroft because I love the style of the house and absolutely love detail ( I am a bobbin lacemaker).I have never built a house before but that is not a problem because I have a good understanding of construction and tools. I have built many other things previously. So here is my dilema. I have decided to use foam core on the interior of the house to make the walls more substantial and then I will use paperclay for the exterior stucco effect. Now I have the problem of lighting--I plan to never change the house once it is finished so round wire would not be a problemand I can imbed it in the foam core. If I use tape wire should I run it between the foam core and the plywood or just on the top of the foam core? I know there are many opinions on the type of wiring used. This is the only thing I worry about in the construction. I'm going out tomorrow to buy the wiring kit and would love some feedback as which way to proceed with the type of construction plan I am using. I have constructed a base which is wide enough to add a side garden and the base is on a lazy susan so there will be no problem with hiding the wiring or transformer.Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Joeanna

I can't help with the wiring but I would say ( and you have probably already read this) make sure you finish the stair area before you put the outer wall on. It is very hard to get in there to do touch ups. The Glencroft is a beautiful house.

Oh and welcome!

Melanie,

Thanks for the reminder on the stairway. I'm sure I'll be referring quite frequently to the experiences of those who have made this house. I will also be putting on a thatched roof and most likely add lead to the windows. Thanks again!

Joeanna

use foam core on the interior of the house to make the walls more substantial and then I will use paperclay for the exterior stucco effect
A quick caveat on the "more substantial"; the rooms were barely large enough for my purposes, although were I to build the kit for, say, a crofter's cottage, I might be tempted to use the foamboard to make two more walls. I stuccoed my interior walls (with spackling compound) and they are VERY substantial. The way these kits are made to go together, once assembled they are sturdy enough for an adult to play with them.

Thanks for the reminder on the stairway

I didn't find the ribbon I wanted for the stairs in mine until after the majority of the construction was done & history. Many happy feral cats grew fat & sassy the day I blessed the installation of the stair carpet.

BTW, welcome to the forum, Joeanna, and you might want to further introduce yourself on the "new Members" forum.

havanaholly

I was just so scared of the house being too flimsy after reading a lot of items on the internet. Everyone seems to have a low opinion of these thin plywood houses. Not using the foam core would save me time as I am just now starting to cut the pieces. This house is for me and not a child, so I don't have to worry about super sturdiness. Thanks for the heads up on the foamcore! I will put more info in the members section when I get time this evening. Thanks again.

Joeanna

I think Greenleaf houses have been unfairly maligned. The 3/8" plywood & especially MDF is thicker & heavier.

Because I shall either eventually sell or donate my 1:12 scale houses one day, I do reinforce some of the edges with heavy staples, but that's also mostly because I tend to move the house from place to place whilst working on it & I don't necessarily wait for all the glue to dry completely between each step.

I think Greenleaf houses have been unfairly maligned.

I quite agree!

almost all of my houses are Greenleaf or like them in material and I have never had problems with the sturdyness of one yet. The Willowcrest built 3 yrs ago with only Aileens Tacky glue went from Missouri to Florida in the back of my van and gets played with by 3 girls and friends regularly and I have yet to make a repair when I go visit. I have made other houses for other small girls and have had no complaints from mom or kid. I do have a thicker MDF house that I am currently building and I dont much care for it.

so there ya are. I love my GlenCroft! I think adding paperclay or stucco to it will give you enough bulk for the "LOOK"

I look forward to seeing and hearing about your progress!

dont forget the chimney's and fire places before putting up the end wall. and but for the window step it is good idea to follow step by step for this build!

but for the Lily the Glencroft was my most challenging abd enjoyable build! very satisfying in the end!

Have fun!

nutti :lol:

Havannaholly and Nutti,

Now that I have put some of the house together (with no problems so far thanks to all who shared their experience with this house),I see that they are sturdy and fairly easy to put together. At the end of day one, I'm am looking forward to continuing. I didn't use staples but I did pre drill with my dremel tool and put in some very fine brads and it did work well. I am now at the chimney wall so there is a lot of work to be done on the stairway and fireplaces. If it wasn't for what I found on this web site, I'd probably be heading for trouble by putting in the end wall first. Thanks Melanie!!!!! for the heads up. I also feel that they are sturdy enough for an older child--my granddaughters are 7 and 8 yrs. old and this would be fine for them. But this house is for me. I plan to make a craft room upstairs with my miniature loom and lace pillow along with many other things like knitting stuff etc.

I have recently moved to Florida from Connecticut with my husband who took early retirement. Since I lost my 2 studios that I had in CT, I thought I'd never take on making a dollhouse down here. I'm very organized so I'm not having a problem. I have set up a place in my laundry room and I have enough room to work on the house. I just LOVE the detail on this house and I'm sure I'll have many hours of pleasure finishing and furnishing this house. Thanks to all of you who are so sharing with all your knowledge with building dollhouses. It is certainly wonderful for me who is a first time builder. I hope to take some pictures and send my progress along.

Joeanna

I have recently moved to Florida

Ah, a transplanted Floridian. Where are you, dear? There are several of us here, I'm NW of Tallahassee about 1/3 between Havana & Quincy, FL.

Havanaholly,

I'm in Trinity, just north of Tampa and Clearwater. Not a very good place to find miniature supplies. I was spoiled in CT where I had a few places to shop.

Joeanna

There used to be a nice little shop on US 98. Now you need to hop on over to Orlando and plan to spend a day or so at Ron's on W Colonial. You could also run up to the winery at Clermont...

• 4 months later...

Hi Joeanna and welcome to the forum! Congrats on building a Glencroft. It's one of my very favorite houses and it's a pure delight to build. I concur with the others when they say there's no real need of reinforcement of the house or walls. The most I've ever done to reinforce a Greenleaf house is to put vertical corner moulding in the corners of inside walls or a brace or two under the foundation...... and that's only if I it's a house a child will handle.

You've probably already found the building blogs for the Glencroft here?. Tracy did some awesome stonework on hers with paperclay. What type of thatching are you going to use on the roof? I did mine with fake fur and varnish which not only gives a realistic thatched look, but it's more fun than is allowed by law in most states. <ahttp://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/\html\style_emoticons\/shifty.gif' alt=':shifty:'> (it's here if you want to see how the fur thatching looks)

It sounds like you're well on the way to having a gorgeous Glencroft. I look forward to seeing it as you go along.

Deb

havanaholly

Everyone seems to have a low opinion of these thin plywood houses.

Joeanna

I have a feeling that those who think the thin plywood is flimsy haven't built any houses with it. Even the smaller houses, like the Primrose, are really quite sturdy when the tabs are fitted properly into the slots and the joints are glued. The engineering of the kits is excellent!

Welcome to the community! Will we see some of your lace in the Glencroft?

I have a feeling that those who think the thin plywood is flimsy haven't built any houses with it. Even the smaller houses, like the Primrose, are really quite sturdy when the tabs are fitted properly into the slots and the joints are glued. The engineering of the kits is excellent!

Welcome to the community! Will we see some of your lace in the Glencroft?

Ditto on that one!! they are very strudy! mine have withheld several moves!