Michaels' Puzzle Houses

DorothyB

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The inside is glued and otherwise totally unfinished. I decided that I will put the houses together and paint the outside, but leave the inside as is for the granddaughters to finish as they wish.

No, honest, I'm not really just lazy!

I like it!

I am doing one also for my little nieces. I have done the outside in Florida pink and white, the inside in off white with stained floors, and I am doing the little furniture kit in different tropical colors. I will post pics as soon as I finish.

I figure for little girls, the tropical colors will be fun!

I think these houses do well in colors..lots of colors!!

I'm just afraid the statement it makes isn't one my grandchildren should hear!

Oh boy -- sparkly trim! Don't even give me ideas like that!

I took some of it apart to paint, but mostly painted it after it was put together. Because I forgot and glued some of it before painting. So those teeny blue pieces under the roof got painted in place (and I got hand cramps). The magenta window frames got painted first, then glued.

One unexpected side effect was all the cutting boards that I got after the pieces were popped out. Don't know how well this picture will show the effect, but I took a wood filler pen and colored three pieces in cherry. The fourth piece is untouched to show contrast:

Hmmm -- I made the picture so small it's barely visible and it's still too big. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. Will try again later.

Has anyone successfully put the fantasy castle together yet? I just started that one and two pieces (so far!) were broken before I even popped them out of their wooden covers! Yeah, they only cost $4, but, gee whizz, that's frustration. I'm going to try to glue them together, but I'm not sure it will work.

Has anyone successfully put the fantasy castle together yet? I just started that one and two pieces (so far!) were broken before I even popped them out of their wooden covers! Yeah, they only cost $4, but, gee whizz, that's frustration. I'm going to try to glue them together, but I'm not sure it will work.

I have mine in dry fit. Didn't have any broken parts. It did take a while to put together, used the picture more than the numbers they say to match up. It's really cute, but it is smaller than half scale. Hopefully you can fix your pieces or maybe cut new ones.

I have three walls, the tower pieces and two floor pieces glued. But have not gotten any further. I had to cut a tab off one wall so the house would sit right on the foundation. There is enough contact between the other pieces and the floor that slides in to hold it sturdy. I am now needing to put the stairs together and am at a total loss. Stairs are NOT my favorite part of ANY build much less this one. I just can't "see" it to make it work and my last set was so crooked I am afraid to attempt these. I don't have a square tool or a gluing jig so it is trial and error. And until I can get them done I can't move on. I am also wondering if I should not glue anything else in place and paint the inside or something before too many pieces get in the way. I have two other puzzle houses, I might delegate the fantasy to the back of the workbench for a while and work on the Tennyson look a like. I am just frustrated with it. And I am frustrated that the tower does not meet the house on the front by the door. I am going to have to fill the gap. I wanted to do a stone work type finish on the outside of the house so it would cover that gap but still frustrating at times.

I've been working on the Tennyson like kit ( it's good practice for when I build my Fairfield). I still have a little way to go before I'm finished, but I posted some pics in my gallery.post-2682-1282004703_thumb.jpg

Got a link to it, Amanda? I'm curious to see what people are doing with that one.

Never mind, I forgot that was a new name for an old friend! Had her blog bookmarked! Thanks, anyway. I have one of my kits from last year out, getting ready to make the 3 bears house up for my grand daughter's 3rd birthday. It will be a real switch for me to make one toddler friendly, but she wants it!

Paula, that's beautiful! You did a great job.

Just curious, why did you choose to paper the house rather than painting it? I was thinking about this one the other day and thought paper might be good because it would cover gaps between the walls without requiring trim or wood filler. Was that the reason?

Paula, that's beautiful! You did a great job.

Just curious, why did you choose to paper the house rather than painting it? I was thinking about this one the other day and thought paper might be good because it would cover gaps between the walls without requiring trim or wood filler. Was that the reason?

That's why I did it! That and just thinking it would be cute in brick...but the paper was handy for the gaps, too.