Bellingham Farmhouse

Anya

The Washingron 2.0 wants to become the farmhouse. There is a section of the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola, FL, that has reproduced a wartime Pensacola city street that includes the parlor and kitchen of a WWII-era RL house; it reminds me of my grandparents'!lol

Is there a link to the street? I'd love to see it. I'd love to make a full street of pre world war I 1:24 scale houses (wouldnt have room for 1:12th) with cobbles on the road and little stone cottages. 

I just found her site: http://www.janeharrop.co.uk/index.html. Looks like she will ship overseas.

I've made a few things from Jane Harrop's Thirties and Forties book. It's just time consuming to cut out the pieces and you need to be precise in measuring, but her instructions and patterns are very straightforward and easy to use. Might not be worth ordering the kit if you have the book.

post-4679-1280545820_thumb.jpg post-4679-1280545931_thumb.jpg post-4679-1280545968_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the link, Brae, and also the heads up. While I shall have to use her book to make things, and can't afford to buy from artissans in the US, much less the UK, kits are a wonderful way to "break" into DIY.

I love the scrubbing board with wringer top! It turned out very well!

Is there a link to the street? I'd love to see it. I'd love to make a full street of pre world war I 1:24 scale houses (wouldnt have room for 1:12th) with cobbles on the road and little stone cottages.

Here's a link to a street in Hackney London, made out of cardboard in 1:24th for Tom Hunter's degree show. He intended to bin it after the show but its been renovated and is now on show in the museum of London. The houses have photographs as interiors and are so cleverly lit that they look real.

http://www.hackneycitizen.co.uk/2010/06/22...ast-the-ghetto/

Here's a better picture

http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/getdoc/...A---Page-1.aspx doesn't show the parlor, but you get an outstanding shot of the kitchen in all its glory, and a couple of pictures of the store fronts (some of them you can go in).

Oh that is excellent! Thank you for the link. 

I just found her site: http://www.janeharrop.co.uk/index.html. Looks like she will ship overseas.

I've made a few things from Jane Harrop's Thirties and Forties book. It's just time consuming to cut out the pieces and you need to be precise in measuring, but her instructions and patterns are very straightforward and easy to use. Might not be worth ordering the kit if you have the book.

post-4679-1280545820_thumb.jpg post-4679-1280545931_thumb.jpg post-4679-1280545968_thumb.jpg

Aha you made the rack. Me too :) . I love the old worn look,  I put it in a bucket and made some little water lily's to go in it. I wanted to make a frog in there but somehow magpies ended up in the scene... I have a lot of Jane Harrop's kits, I am still deciding what to do with them.

post-227-1280695298_thumb.jpg

WooHoo! Hey Anya..how are you doing?

I have so missed seeing your latest creations to drool over and wish they were mine.

i have a bellingham still in it`s box. who knows if i will ever get to it..yours is looking good in the pics you have posted.

WooHoo! Hey Anya..how are you doing?

I have so missed seeing your latest creations to drool over and wish they were mine.

i have a bellingham still in it`s box. who knows if i will ever get to it..yours is looking good in the pics you have posted.

Heeey Heidi :)  yes it's good to be back here. 

I am still a beginner when it comes to Dura-Craft houses. I found the Bellingham was not very easy to put together. Some of the parts were missing from the kit too :horse:  so I had to make some. I think you'll love making it though its a really nice house, I think I'll leave the room partitions out though on the first floor. Looks so much more spacious without them.

Ah, but after you wrestle one of those Dura-Craft kits together, assembling Greenleaf kits are a piece of cake!

Ha ha yes you are right about the wrestling part. I had trouble with the roof and had it taped up beyond recognition  at one point. But the worst has to be adding shingles. Don't know about you but when I have finished off the house and get to the shingles part... I get a sinking feeling ha ha.

I love your colors! It looks so cozy. I did one in green. More pics at my website:

http://dollhouse.web.officelive.com/Bellingham.aspx

Oh I love yours I'll go and look at the other pics. I didn't put all my trim on, I am still deciding if I should or shouldn't. I'm was going for a shabby look? Well... I am not quite sure what look I am going for now too many looks to choose from.

How did your make your brick effect? 

The brick on this house is made with a combination of products. I used the template tape from Magic Brick, but didn't use their brick mix. Instead I painted the mortar color, then covered the surface with the tape. I then sprayed over the tape with Krylon Make It Stone!® Textured spray Paint. It is much more durable than the Magic Brick product. I found that product flakes and breaks off. :rant:

Anya, one of the Small Stuffers just posted this link that you might find useful if you're populating your house: http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2010/...1939-1943/2363/ It's from the US, but you might find a similar trove of UK pictures from that era.