Bellingham Farmhouse

Anya

I have almost completed the exterior of my Bellingham farmhouse which I've been working on now and again for the past 6 months.

I left the balcony roof off because I wanted to make the most of the room on there.

Stone effect spray was used on the roof and chimney that I bought it from Home base.

What I need help with though is the fire surround. What did a traditional fire surround look like in these houses? I have looked them up on google but I'm not sure if any are the right ones.

Well I'm glad to be back here again, it's been ages.

Anyway, I'll put more pics up of the house in my gallery :)

post-227-1280155387_thumb.jpg

post-227-1280155558_thumb.jpg

Ooooooooohh aaaaaaaaaahhh! Pretty, pretty. I love what you have done with the wood deck! It looks so rustic and worn. And tiny nail heads. :) I love that detail!

Yes I agree the flooring detail is marvelous!

Thank you. The floor effect isn't difficult, I just rubbed furniture wax in with a kitchen roll, a grey chalk pastel and black shoe polish in with an old toothbrush. But it does have a very realistic effect.

Ohhhhh, Anya is back >throwing arms around you in a huuuuuge hug< missed you!!!!!

And, mmmm, looks like you kept busy whilst being away huh???? :) Looking forward to hearing and seeing more of this gem soon!

HUGS

Ohhhhh, Anya is back >throwing arms around you in a huuuuuge hug< missed you!!!!!

And, mmmm, looks like you kept busy whilst being away huh???? :p Looking forward to hearing and seeing more of this gem soon!

HUGS

hugs back , lovely to see you are still on here.:)

Welcome home, Anya; I was afraid you'd sprained your typing fingers sculpting more wonderful critters! I also love your floors.

No sprains since I'm happy to say. Hope you are doing well too :)

Anya, I just went flipping through your gallery earlier this morning and DH came in and asked if I would like a towel, or if I would simply prefer a bucket. :) Totally drool worthy animals you have there. Simply amazing! I told DH that one of those is definitely on my wish list for the future (along with the Morningside Mansion and a gazillion other things. :p )

Ooh, it looks great! I really like the colors, and the floors are beautiful!

Yes I couldn't make my mind up about the colour scheme. I wanted a 1930s/40s kind of look, no idea if I have achieved it. All the photos I found of houses around that time were in black and white haha.

Anya, I just went flipping through your gallery earlier this morning and DH came in and asked if I would like a towel, or if I would simply prefer a bucket. :p Totally drool worthy animals you have there. Simply amazing! I told DH that one of those is definitely on my wish list for the future (along with the Morningside Mansion and a gazillion other things. :D )

Ah thank you. :) Yes I am making them full time now.

Oh yes morning side mansion. I was looking at that kit a few weeks ago. I love it.

Nice house! Love the plank floor, it's delicious looking with the color and texture.

I'm glad to hear that you are still making those exquisite sculptures, from your website it looks like you even got better! The birds look ready to take flight.

Can't help you with the fire surrounds, they vary so greatly.

(psst! I just ordered the Morningside Mansion on Sunday :lol: )

Nice house! Love the plank floor, it's delicious looking with the color and texture.

I'm glad to hear that you are still making those exquisite sculptures, from your website it looks like you even got better! The birds look ready to take flight.

Can't help you with the fire surrounds, they vary so greatly.

(psst! I just ordered the Morningside Mansion on Sunday :lol: )

Awww not fair I want that house too, ha ha. I still have a lot of houses in boxes but determined to build them all although I will be pushed for space. I'd love the Alexandria but I can't find anywhere that sells them.

Yes I love birds as you might have guessed ha ha. I'm thinking of building an aviary and having some finches in there.

Anya, try Googling images of fire surrounds & chimneybreasts by periods. Patricia King's stoves & fireplaces book has wonderful ideas for reproducing them with "found" stuff.

Hi Anya, I've often admired your albums in the gallery so its really good to meet you. Love what you are doing with the Bellingham.

Hi Joe lovely to meet you too. :lol:

Anya, try Googling images of fire surrounds & chimneybreasts by periods. Patricia King's stoves & fireplaces book has wonderful ideas for reproducing them with "found" stuff.

Thanks, I'll have a look at those. I'll get photos of the interior of the Bellingham once I start work on it. I have just painted the interiors light shades of greys, blues and creams. Kind of off white anyway. Nothing else is in there but I do have some shaker furniture that's nice. They were Jane Harrop kits I put together.

I wonder if anyone over here in the US carries her kits. I have a few of her books, I plan to use the '30s & '40s DIY one when I build the pre-WWII farmhouse.

Her kits are really good, I don't think she has anyone selling her kits in the USA. I went on a few of her courses, the furniture she makes is perfect for old style houses. I still have to get the 1940's book. Oh that will be good a pre WWII farmhouse. Can't wait to see it when its done. What kit are you going to use for it or will you just build your own?

The Washingron 2.0 wants to become the farmhouse. There is a section of the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola, FL, that has reproduced a wartime Pensacola city street that includes the parlor and kitchen of a WWII-era RL house; it reminds me of my grandparents'!lol