Curiosity about 1/2" scale

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me again, had to share, I had been communicating with a lady that had a 1/2" scale house on Craig's list. Well, she e-mailed my that the house was sold. I was so depressed(it was my birthday to add to

Janet, Love your tea room. I have a few of those kits and enjoy them.  Must let you know what I did this week-end, went to a miniature show in San Deigo. &#

My lovely half-scalers....where have you all gone? Working diligently on your projects? Focusing on real life perhaps? My major project of the past few years has some p

Posted Images

I'm no help, I space shingles "by eye" the first two rows, and measure from there.
Actually, that is helpful, because it gives me "permission" to wing it. I think this is the very last time I follow instructions on a package blindly.

To the left of the "Multi +" button there are an "Edit" button and a "Delete" button that don't always show up. Move your cursor slowly to the left and if it changes from an arrow to a hand, a little box eventually appears to tell you which button it is.

I deleted the duplicate posts. I think the delete button only shows up for non-moderators for a limited time after you post, and only if no one else has replied to your post. (Don't quote me on that though.)

I also eyeball shingles. For fishscales, I like the round part to just meet the peak of the shingles below it (pics here).

What brand were your shingles? Maybe the instructions were originally for 1:12 and weren't updated. 1/2" spacing is about right for a 1:12 house.

What brand were your shingles? Maybe the instructions were originally for 1:12 and weren't updated. 1/2" spacing is about right for a 1:12 house.
I think that must be what happened, Emily. I'm just glad I only did one section before coming to my senses instead of the whole house. :banana:
For a laundry room? That's going to be so cool!

I hope it turns out. I had to switch to thinner wood for the doors. I'm deciding whether to hinge them, or just glue them open. Decisions, decisions.

I have it clamped to the stairs now. I may regret this later. I was thinking that it would be easier to do some of the more fiddly work if the piece had some weight behind it.

I think I may try using heavy foil for the hinges. The doors won't be used much and are light weight, so that may be the way to go.

Linda, it is a nice kit. The unit I show in the album is only 1/3rd of the entire kit. It comes with kitchen/grocery printies too. I think I will use the rest of it in the kitchen like it was meant to be used.

I'm going to stop working on it now because I am getting impatient and lazy.

It's what the Wolfmeister uses to hinge 1:12 doors
I don't quite have a picture in my mind of how this would work. Are there pics in Wolfie's gallery of the Tyvek hinges? I'm thinking of the 1:24 kitchen I'm going to build & whether I'd be able to make working doors.

It's similar to my chamois-hinge technique. Make the door in two pieces and glue half the hinges vertically between the pieces of door, then the other half of the hinges between the wall and the doorway trim.

I got three of the new half scale Daisy House kits -- the bed, writing desk, and plant stand. I'm planning to do the desk and plant stand for my puzzle house (potentially turning the plant stand into a washstand). The bed I'll hold onto for a future project. I'm excited to try them out -- will let you guys know how it goes.

Also, the lady who works at my local shop told me that Aztec has just released some new Jefferson-style furniture to go with the half scale Monticello house that came out recently. They didn't have it in stock yet but she showed me pictures, they look like some nice pieces -- mostly chairs, plus a few tables and hutches. I wouldn't be surprised if they show up in an upcoming HBS catalog...

I'm starting with the writing desk and the plant (wash) stand; will save the bed for later. Last night I took out the pieces and stained them. The pieces were all well cut, no weird sizes like with the Cassidy Creations kits I built recently, and the instructions are super detailed. So far, so good. The lady at the mini shop mentioned that she's had trouble selling these (the 1:12 kits), maybe because of the price. They are a little pricey but the quality is so great! Plus I really like the modern country style. She's now stocked some of the 1/2" kits and I hope they sell, I'd love to see wider availability for these. (I noticed HBS has started carrying some of the 1:12 kits...)

I'll take pictures once I start assembling, probably this afternoon.

I especially like modern country. That would suit what I'm building. Really looking forward to pics.

I have to settle for pics - I have de Quervains tenosynovitis and have to keep my mitts off the Exacto knife for a few weeks while it heals. This is inflammation of the thumb tendon, which I'm sure was caused by my cutting siding for my Fairfield. I have 4 days off and will need to find something that doesn't aggravate this condition - maybe wallpapering?? Guess I could do shingles too.

The plant stand went together very easily. I looked at the 1:12 washstand for ideas on how to modify the plant stand and ended up shortening the legs a bit. I'll probably add a back, too, but don't think I have room to add sides like the 1:12 washstand has (if I do, the plate under pitcher won't fit!)

post-7-1282969106_thumb.jpg post-7-1282969111_thumb.jpg

I also started putting together the writing desk and so far it's going pretty well, although I think there was a typo in the directions that caused me to make a mistake, and I didn't realize it until the glue was dry. (I was led to believe that the back of the top part of the desk shouldn't be flush with the back edge of the writing surface, and now that I look at the pictures of the finished product, I think it's supposed to be.) I'm not entirely sure if it was a mistake or not -- the instructions have plenty of diagrams but none that show this particular aspect -- so I'm just going to keep building and in the end if I'm not happy with it, I can probably add a small piece of wood to the back to make it look like it's flush. Overall though I'm very happy with the materials and the instructions. These are fun kits to put together!

It was included as a freebie when I placed a big order with The Vintage Dollhouse. (Unfortunately they were clearing out their 1:24 section at the time, but I just checked their site and they do seem to have a few more available!) I think it's Reutter Porcelain.

Here's the writing desk:

post-7-1283029910_thumb.jpg

Overall this is a great little kit. Easy to put together, clear directions with diagrams, and I think it's the first time I've ever not had to sand a drawer to get it to fit -- it fits perfectly! Also the scale is just right. I'm able to use one of my existing chairs with it and they look like they belong together.

My only gripe is that a typo in the directions led me not to line up the top part of the desk at the back:

post-7-1283030094_thumb.jpg

If the directions hadn't been so great, I probably would have gone "wait a minute, is this right?" before the glue dried, but by the time I realized it was wrong, it was too late. (The legs weren't on yet, so the problem wasn't obvious right away.) I ended up adding a piece of wood to the back to make it look flush, but I think I'm going to email the company and let them know about the issue. (You build the entire drawer casement first, then the instructions say to line up the writing surface with the back of the "casement top" -- I guess in retrospect referring to the top of the entire assembly -- but there's also a kit piece named Casement Top, which is what I lined it up with, when really it should have been lined up with the back of the Casement Back.)

It's a small complaint though. Overall these were very fun to build and I'm proud of the finished products. I hope Daisy House brings more of their line to half scale!