Jump to content

Curiosity about 1/2" scale


Recommended Posts

I believe they would need the actual object to scan for a 3-D printer, not an image.  How on earth do you plan to paint those miniscule details in half-scale??  My hat is off to you!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me again, had to share, I had been communicating with a lady that had a 1/2" scale house on Craig's list. Well, she e-mailed my that the house was sold. I was so depressed(it was my birthday to add to

Janet, Love your tea room. I have a few of those kits and enjoy them.  Must let you know what I did this week-end, went to a miniature show in San Deigo. &#

My lovely half-scalers....where have you all gone? Working diligently on your projects? Focusing on real life perhaps? My major project of the past few years has some p

Posted Images

At that size, I would just find a plastic teacup and saucer and paint those. The cup doesn't need to be exact, does it? But I agree with Rosalind, painting the details in half scale seems like a challenge!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fov said:

At that size, I would just find a plastic teacup and saucer and paint those. The cup doesn't need to be exact, does it? But I agree with Rosalind, painting the details in half scale seems like a challenge!

I can do the painting but the cup really does have to be that shapeI think Imay just look around for bits I can utilise and make one. I could hand fashion a porcelain one and fire it but I rarely use my kiln and couldn'r run it for i tiny piece.

 

Anyway I appreciate the answer to my question re 3d.. is is rather fantastic isn;t it..gee what a world we live in

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thimble Hall said:

the cup really does have to be that shapeI

Does it have to be a cup? Could it be a bowl? It may be easier to find a bowl that shape than a cup with a handle. A plain white plate under the bowl and Bob's your uncle!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeannine, how are you with polymer clay?  I love the stuff personally, and you may bake that so easily in an oven, no kiln required.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KathieB said:

Does it have to be a cup? Could it be a bowl? It may be easier to find a bowl that shape than a cup with a handle. A plain white plate under the bowl and Bob's your uncle!

Yes it could be a bowl,I just haven't made it a priority yet, it was just a thought about the 3d thing, may have been easy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shy Spirit said:

Jeannine, how are you with polymer clay?  I love the stuff personally, and you may bake that so easily in an oven, no kiln required.

Hi, I am Ok with Polymer, it is probebly what I will do, then  the next time I do use my kiln...whenever ?? I will make a porcelain one and be able to china paint it.It is one of those things on my find or do list..like a 1.24 horses bridle and reins etc , also for my Gypsy caravan and  then shrinking a very special pinting down to 1/24 size without losing the detail..gee the things we do for fun eh !! Having said that what a super feeling when we do solve the puzzle and actualy come up with the item we want.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Parts of wine labels and magazine illustrations offer nice sources for mini paintings, both 1:12 & 1:24.

Holly I have the painting, it is a full size one that belonged to my father,very very special to me I need to get it down to 1/24 so it can go above the living room mantle piece

Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds like you have some delicious eye-candy - either now, or in the future!  I look forward to seeing the gypsy caravan all fitted out, and my curiousity has been piqued ... do you have a photo of your special painting?  Nowadays of course, with the "Paint" program and other wonderful techie developments, resizing is just a few clicks away.  I say that easily - but I still need to be talked through the process, step by step, if I'm trying anything like that!!  Fortunately, I live with a computer guru, so I have help nearby.  :cheezy:

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shy Spirit said:

It sounds like you have some delicious eye-candy - either now, or in the future!  I look forward to seeing the gypsy caravan all fitted out, and my curiousity has been piqued ... do you have a photo of your special painting?  Nowadays of course, with the "Paint" program and other wonderful techie developments, resizing is just a few clicks away.  I say that easily - but I still need to be talked through the process, step by step, if I'm trying anything like that!!  Fortunately, I live with a computer guru, so I have help nearby.  :cheezy:

Hi I couldn't het the picture that is iver my mantle pice, the site says it is too big but I found one on the net so hoping it wil go on    https://www.wikiart.org/en/joseph-farquharson/the-day-was-sloping-towards-his-western-bower-1912

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Thimble Hall said:

Hi I couldn't het the picture that is iver my mantle pice, the site says it is too big but I found one on the net so hoping it wil go on    https://www.wikiart.org/en/joseph-farquharson/the-day-was-sloping-towards-his-western-bower-1912

The story behind the painting is this.. we moved into a large Victorian vicarage when I was about 10 or 11. My mother and sister were always the decorators so were amused when my father insisted on organising the decoration of the huge entrance hall. He had a carpenter do the walls in oak with a shelf running round the top on which he displayed a collection of minatures he had.He went to a country house estate auction and bought an old pump organ , a grandfather clock, and a very old carved chair. He also bought the picture. It's name is on the back. The Day was Sloping towards His Western Bower and  is by the  Aberdeen artist Farquharson. It was an old print then. That was 68 years ago.My sister and Mum laughed at Dads  choices which I thought was mean so I took my Dads side and said I loved the picture which we called simply Sheep in the Snow. 

 

When I left to come to Canada in the 70's my Dad said I could take any one thing from his home as a personal memento. I chose Sheep in the Snow and it has hung over my firepalce since then.

 

THe Fairfield house I am working on is a menory house. My miaden name was Fairfield and the house has a tower room just like the vicarage, I lived in, the tower room was my special place.

 

I have a Bespaq organ, a working Grandfather clock, an intricate carved chair and need to get the picture down to 1/2 scale so it can take its place..It is  very very important to me.

So there you are,, the whole story.I think I have put this on the forum before maybe but it is up to date now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2021 at 10:06 PM, Thimble Hall said:

Holly I have the painting, it is a full size one that belonged to my father, very very special to me I need to get it down to 1/24 so it can go above the living room mantle piece

Jeannine, I sent you a PM. A friend of mine says he can do a high quality reduction of The Day was Sloping towards His Western Bower and send it to you to print in 1:24 scale. :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, KathieB said:

Jeannine, I sent you a PM. A friend of mine says he can do a high quality reduction of The Day was Sloping towards His Western Bower and send it to you to print in 1:24 scale. :) 

Thank you again Kathy, I shall look forward to hearing from him

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I wonder if an office supply store or a copy center could reduce the picture for you?

Holly, I have thought of going to a professional photographer but I won't take the picture from it's frame, It has the original mat, glass and backing and it would be risky. The picture I had off the net which was in the link is of course a modern print and lacks the aged look of mine.it is very white wereas mine is very mellow. We wil see. In this day and age almost anything can be done if one finds the right place so I am still hopeful

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can make several copies of the picture Kathie's friend reduces for you and practice using a wash or other aging techniques to make it look like yours.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A very quick and easy way to age paper is to wipe it with a damp teabag.  I don't know what the tannins in the tea may do to the paper, but I have a picture that I used this method on, and it still looks fine - and that was about fifteen years ago!

Link to post
Share on other sites

The reductions I have done myself have resulted in just an unclear white out scene with no detail other than a bit of shading.The whole picture is basically just shades of white and brown and everything has a subtle halo around it, so it is perhaps not the best picture to try to reduce..but..I am still positive and hopeful. I am  long way off hangin it so plenty of time

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...