Jump to content

Curiosity about 1/2" scale


CatColorado
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 1 month later...

I'm looking for a modern kitchen for my Fairfield. At the moment I'm thinking I'm going to have to build one that will meet my requirements, but very open to links to investigate or get inspiration from. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@MurielI built a modern kitchen for my Victorianna. My series of blog posts about it starts here: https://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=13891

You can keep clicking Next Post at the bottom of each one to see the rest of the posts, there might be a few interspersed on different topics but they're mostly clustered together. Or you can go to the Kitchen tag - the Victorianna posts are currently the most recent.

If you don't want to build from scratch, Mini Etchers makes some nice kits. There's also Elf Miniatures for super nice (and pricey!) modern stuff but I'm not sure if they're supporting 1:24 scale anymore.

victorianna1555.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love the Victorianna kitchen. Especially the backsplash, mainly because I know the patience it took to make it, and that I don't have that patience! Great inspiration.

I made modern kitchen cabinets from scratch in my Willow, just the appliances that I'm particularly concerned about.... School were dumping an old plastic playhouse of some sort, so I took it apart and saved some bits, but altogether it is too clunky. Trying to see what I can maybe use and convert: sink is good, I can place it in to new cabinets, stove top same, but oven bit definitely not. Fridge/freezer is cute, but at 4'4" in real life size is sadly just too small I think. So fridge and oven to make or find, and the dishwasher and washing machine will just have to be out of sight ;)

I hadn't considered an Aga, but I'll have a play, it could fit! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those tiles were time consuming! I also did them in a bathroom as a shower surround and that was even worse...

Mini Etchers makes a nice simple dishwasher, but if you're going to build cabinets I think it would be easy to build a dishwasher into those. I would just take a piece of wood and add the stainless steel contact paper that I used for my refrigerator, or print out a picture of a dishwasher off the internet.

I used printies for the double ovens in my Queen Anne Rowhouse:

rowhouse573.jpg

That kitchen is built from an SDK Miniatures kit. More details here: https://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=6228

For appliances I've used the Acme magnets in several houses. And Shapeways has some good 3D printed options. The range in my Victorianna is from Shapeways -- I love the detail but am not as thrilled about the silver spray paint I used, it doesn't look much like stainless steel.

Also check out Red Cottage Miniatures, Shannon has some nice kitchen kits there, but with more of a cottage / 1920s vibe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, fov said:

I used printies for the double ovens in my Queen Anne Rowhouse:

 

I was admiring those ovens, very cool that it is a printie!

Mini Etchers website was on hold when I checked a couple days ago, so will keep checking back there and hopefully get a good look. Need to figure out the 3d printer site, looked like it needed digging in to a bit more to see products. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Muriel said:

I'm looking for a modern kitchen for my Fairfield. At the moment I'm thinking I'm going to have to build one that will meet my requirements, but very open to links to investigate or get inspiration from. 

I also used the kitchen kit from SDK Miniatures for the Victoriana kitchen.  You can customize them to fit your room.  I used Acme refrigerator magnets for the stove and refrigerator.  I just repainted them to match the kitchen colors better.  The cabinets were easy to build and look great.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@fov Emily, Natasha (my daughter) wants to know if you have any people living in your Victorianna? She was very impressed. 

@madtex1967 Matt, I like that you can customise that kitchen kit nicely. 

The magnets are great! I will keep an eye out on ebay, and try on Mini Etcher when she's up and running again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Matt, your Victorianna's kitchen looks great! I like how you mixed the SDK kit with the Acme appliances. I also used that fridge in my Rowhouse, painted with silver paint. In a different kitchen I painted the range black.

 

9 minutes ago, Muriel said:

@fov Emily, Natasha (my daughter) wants to know if you have any people living in your Victorianna? She was very impressed.

Actually, I do! A little girl and a baby. No parents, though, so Child Services might be by to pick them up at some point! (I'm thinking of the Sims where the social worker comes and takes your kid away if you leave them alone for too long.)

doll05.jpg

swap2019-27.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/15/2021 at 3:26 PM, fov said:

I'm not sure if there's a 1:24 power strip, but it's easy to replace the plugs on 1:24 lights with the larger plugs that work with this power strip: https://www.miniatures.com/Power-Strip-with-Onoff-Switch-P17643.aspx

There are more and more Etsy sellers offering 1:24 furniture and kits, so that's a good place to look. Also I just came across this list of stores that might be helpful: https://www.tinynewworld.com/blog/2020/4/30/my-favorite-places-to-buy-124-miniatures

I used tape wire on the Fairfield. In general I'm not a fan of tape wire because I have lights that no longer work and the wiring is trapped under wallpaper or floorboards so I can't fix it. For the half scale house I wired most recently, I used tape wire to put outlets in a few rooms (hidden under/behind furniture) and for the rest I ran the wire down to the underside of the house and plugged them in there. If I were going to do the Fairfield again I might do it that way. 

rowhouse805.jpg

I am in wiring H*ll right now. How did you get the plugs back on the wire? Also, how did you split the half scale wiring?  I am using the Houseworks wire and plugs. Can anyone help???? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wasn't able to reuse the plugs that I cut off the lights. For 1:12 plugs this is no problem but for the half scale plugs I just couldn't get the snipped pieces of wire out of the plug. When I started over with new plugs it was pretty easy. I'll check my blog and see if I have any pictures.

(But backing up a step, you know you need to pull the pins out and then feed the wires through the hole at the top of the plug and wrap them around the pins, right?)

For splitting the half scale wire, I use my nail scissors or small wire strippers to make a small vertical snip at the end (between the two halves of the wire) and then gently pull them apart. I usually waste some wire in the process!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/15/2021 at 3:26 PM, fov said:

I'm not sure if there's a 1:24 power strip, but it's easy to replace the plugs on 1:24 lights with the larger plugs that work with this power strip: https://www.miniatures.com/Power-Strip-with-Onoff-Switch-P17643.aspx

There are more and more Etsy sellers offering 1:24 furniture and kits, so that's a good place to look. Also I just came across this list of stores that might be helpful: https://www.tinynewworld.com/blog/2020/4/30/my-favorite-places-to-buy-124-miniatures

I used tape wire on the Fairfield. In general I'm not a fan of tape wire because I have lights that no longer work and the wiring is trapped under wallpaper or floorboards so I can't fix it. For the half scale house I wired most recently, I used tape wire to put outlets in a few rooms (hidden under/behind furniture) and for the rest I ran the wire down to the underside of the house and plugged them in there. If I were going to do the Fairfield again I might do it that way. 

rowhouse805.jpg

 

1 minute ago, fov said:

I wasn't able to reuse the plugs that I cut off the lights. For 1:12 plugs this is no problem but for the half scale plugs I just couldn't get the snipped pieces of wire out of the plug. When I started over with new plugs it was pretty easy. I'll check my blog and see if I have any pictures.

For splitting the half scale wire, I use my nail scissors or small wire strippers to make a small vertical snip at the end (between the two halves of the wire) and then gently pull them apart. I usually waste some wire in the process!

Did you use the Houseworks 1/2 scale wire?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This blog talks about the difficulty I had reusing the small plugs and stripping the wires, and also has a picture of my split wires: https://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=12556

These are Houseworks half scale. They definitely are harder to split than the 1:12 scale. For this project I wasn't able to use the small plugs and ended up attaching both lights to one 1:12 plug.

Come to think of it, for my Rowhouse I also attached the half scale lights to 1:12 plugs. The only time I've used the small plugs was with some older lights that had pre-split wires (thinner than the Houseworks wires).

rowhouse872.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, fov said:

This blog talks about the difficulty I had reusing the small plugs and stripping the wires, and also has a picture of my split wires: https://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=12556

These are Houseworks half scale. They definitely are harder to split than the 1:12 scale. For this project I wasn't able to use the small plugs and ended up attaching both lights to one 1:12 plug.

Come to think of it, for my Rowhouse I also attached the half scale lights to 1:12 plugs. The only time I've used the small plugs was with some older lights that had pre-split wires (thinner than the Houseworks wires).

rowhouse872.jpg

Thank you very much! I am reading your blog. I keep trying to separate the wire and I expose the actual wire out of the white casing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, the same thing happened to me, and I kept cutting off that part and trying again, with my wires getting shorter and shorter. It's frustrating!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re 3D printing. There is a cup and saucer I would like in 1/24th.It is for my Gypsy caravan A tea leaf reading cup with syymbols on it.  Here is a picture . Can 3 d be done just from a picture I would do the painting on it but how could they make it  ??? very confused abut this

il_570xN_1439991182_pdsg.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...