Curiosity about 1/2" scale

I haven't seen working windows in half scale, sorry. :( Maybe you could study a 1:12 window and figure out how to make your own with strip wood?

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me again, had to share, I had been communicating with a lady that had a 1/2" scale house on Craig's list. Well, she e-mailed my that the house was sold. I was so depressed(it was my birthday to add to

Janet, Love your tea room. I have a few of those kits and enjoy them.  Must let you know what I did this week-end, went to a miniature show in San Deigo. &#

My lovely half-scalers....where have you all gone? Working diligently on your projects? Focusing on real life perhaps? My major project of the past few years has some p

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

My Parisian townhouse is furnished and decorated (for the most part). Take a peek in my gallery if you are curious! I'm still working on the metro station but it is pretty close to finishing...

Janet, it looks so awesome. I keep going back to your gallery. Hard to believe that's a Rosedale, let alone half scale!

Can't wait to see what you come up with next. :lol:

Awww...Thanks, Emily! It's been a good project for me. Usually, I am impatient to finish projects but I was able to be very zen for this one. I'll post the metro part soon, I hope. Decoration is almost done but I'm still working out some of the lighting issues.

These stairs are interesting: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Doll-House-Stairs-Houseworks-1981-NIB-H700-3-Pc-1-24th-Scale-Never-Used-/180943414408

This is the third auction I've seen for stairs like this in the last few months. I'd never seen them before. They must be rare, as the bids tend to go pretty high. But it seems like they'd be easy enough to make, by bashing two staircases with a block of wood? (In fact, I'm planning something similar for my 1:12 Hillside Victorian...)

Does anyone know of a house that uses these? The stairs are set up just like in my real life house, but I'm having trouble visualizing how they would look in a dollhouse.

Also, today I learned of a new source for half scale kits (new to me, at least!): http://karenbensonminiatures.com/shop/

And for those who haven't checked out SDK Miniatures lately, she's added a bunch of new kits that she's distributing for an Australian seller: http://sdk.miniature.net/ashielashed.html

I am starting to dabble back in the half scale again. I never finished my Chantilly. My daughter uses it for her Squinkie home. I was fortunate enough to find a Victorianna on Etsy last week. I love the McKinley - bought one finished a couple years ago, and a friend parted with hers for me to have. I tried to bash the second one into something great - but it didnt work out. Upset me that things didnt go as I invisioned - but there are 2 little girls that are very happy with it, that did not have a dollhouse to play with before.

Anyway - I have some big plans with my Victorianna - but I will be much more careful before I do any huge changes. I do know I want to change the third level for a more useable space.

I am going to eliminate the fireplace and add a houseowrk stairs. I really like the ones Emily posted on ebay - I will have to 'watch' them and see if hubby get them. The house will be a mirror image (seen that done before) and I am thinking of having a small 2 story addition - but that poses problems for a nice flow/layout on the second floor. We shall see.

Checking out all the sites for half scale pieces. If anyone has any more sites they want to share - let me know!!

Congrats on nabbing the Victorianna! I'm still hoping to come across a second of these so I can build them back to back (I already have one in my stash). But it would make more sense for me to build it the "regular" way and hang it on the wall, since I'm sorta out of display space. Ahh, decisions, decisions! Anyway, I look forward to seeing progress on yours.

I think those stairs would be easy enough to make, if you don't win the ones on eBay. Last time I checked the auction it was up to $20 and two staircases are about $26 from Miniatures.com. (And I'm not sure of the Victorianna's ceiling height, but you could possibly get away with bashing just one staircase?) There are clear pictures on the eBay auction that makes it seem like it'd be easy to do. Or you could do one with a 45-degree turn instead, since the Victorianna has a nice corner in the living room that they could be tucked into (if you move the kitchen door).

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone ever made wood furniture in 1:24 from scratch? If so, would you mind letting me know what type of wood (thickness, type, vendor) would work best. I need to be able to stain the wood, so cardstock wouldn't work...but I want the wood thin and easy to cut for details.

Thanks!

I have. I use basswood sold at my local mini shop, one of the brands they carry is Northeastern Miniatures. The other, I'm not sure what it is, but the abbreviation on the sku is BUD. I prefer the Northeastern Miniatures since the other ones have a bar code printed on one end, but there's not really any difference between the two.

For thickness, I have used 1/16" and 1/32". The 1/32" wood can be hard to glue because there's not much wood for the glue to grab onto. This weekend I am going to try building a half scale bed from 1:12 plans -- the original plans called for all the wood to be 1/16" thickness which would translate into 1/32" thick for half scale. I got a set in 1/16" as well as 1/32", but I think I will end up using the 1/16".

I made most of the furniture for the Fairfields. I used mostly 1/8" and 1/16" and except for the stove, which was made from 1:24 plans, I scaled the rest down from 1:12 plans. Cutting out the dining chair carvers was the biggest PIA.

I used artboard and cardstock for most of the furniture in my Fairfield and mixed paints for the "stained" look I wanted. Once I finished the painting and smoothing, I applied a couple of coats of gloss finish....beautiful!!! Much better than trying to use wood!!!

Just finished 2 albums....one of the exterior of the Fairfield, the other with the 1/2" scale Fairfield furniture. (Disregard the spray bottle of flea spray in one picture...I was using the bottle to mix glue and water to spray the landscaping...we don't have fleas!!!)

All of this furniture was made of art board that can be found at any craft store..you can also use mat board. I also used heavy cardstock, round toothpicks, small strip wood, jewelry findings, mini nails and tiny beads for drawer pulls. I found furniture pieces online that I wanted to copy...most usually had measurements, scaled that down to 1/2" scale, figured out from the pictures how it was built, and measured, sketched, and cut the pieces out. There are a few more pieces I want to build.

I recommend the Petite Properties kits for 1/24 furniture if you are not sure about building your own. They are super easy to do, and look very nice when finished. They also sell pattern books on their site. I think Kelly has some pictures in her gallery. The ones I'm working on are nowhere near done!

Sally, your Fairfield is gorgeous! And the furniture too. Your photos had me busy for a long time. :lol:

I posted some pictures of the scratch built Shaker bed on my blog. I ended up using the 1/16" thickness wood and am glad I did. I think the 1/32" would have been very difficult to glue. (It doesn't help that I'm impatient, I never wait for the stain to dry before gluing and never wait for the glue to dry before moving on to the next step...)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know of a source for half scale curtains? I need something simple and rustic that will work in my Little House log cabin (something that looks like calico from an old dress!) I know it seems like a simple enough thing, but I tried making my own, it took a long time and I'm not thrilled with the result...