Thoughts for a Rosedale bash

fov

I really want to try one of the new half scale kits and I have my eye on the Rosedale. I like that it's not super frilly and the inside looks very realistic to me. But the house itself seems a little small, and I also think it's also odd that the right hand wall is blank with no windows or anything. So I was thinking... what if you took the part on the left (the smaller "wing" of the house), and copied / reversed it, to add a matching "wing" on the right? I can't decide if it would look good, or too symmetrical...

By doing this you'd end up with three rooms downstairs, one large room and two small rooms upstairs, and three attic partitions. Maybe even space to add a staircase up to the attic.

Thoughts?

i like it!!!

played around in 'paint' not perfect but gives the idea

:D now you got me started!!! :hug:

what about a double 1:24th Jefferson stacked! i like this for a french chateau maybe

Ooh, what a neat idea! I think it looks really good actually. Of course I also like symmetry.

And Linda, really like the stacked Jeffersons!! That looks really cool. Great idea to go up instead of out.

Okay, so now y'all have to both build these so we can see real ones!! :hug:

Thanks for putting those pictures together! The more I think about it, the more I like it. Initially I was thinking I could make the extra pieces myself but now I'm leaning toward getting two kits, in particular so all of the windows would match. The "middle" part of the second kit could probably be turned into a small building on its own. I've been wanting to make a toy shop and am thinking it could work for that -- two stories of toy displays with an office / storage in the attic.

In the bashed house, I'm thinking the entry and new downstairs room on the left could be separated by French doors for a "double parlor" effect. The room on the right would be the kitchen. The new room on the second story could be an office adjoining the master bedroom -- maybe add a glass door to the exterior wall to make the balcony accessible -- with the small room on the right as the bathroom. On the third floor it could either be one large attic, or separated down the middle to create two (still fairly large) kids' bedrooms. (Too bad there aren't any windows up there though...)

Argh... why is it, just when I'm finishing up a project and *finally* free to move on to the neglected dollhouses in progress, I get an idea in my head for something new?!

I like the idea of stacking the Jeffersons, too... with the stairs in the middle that really looks like a four-story "walk-up" apartment building!

Stack those Jeffersons 3 high and two wide and you'd have the makings of an apartment building.

omg :hug: now theres a fabulous idea!!! all different eras and themes age groups in one building!!! fabulous for my space issue :p

Argh... why is it, just when I'm finishing up a project and *finally* free to move on to the neglected dollhouses in progress, I get an idea in my head for something new?!

thats called creativity :p

i'm the same :D its a toss up now between a steampunked travel trailor or a french 1/2 scale chantilly and now the apartments :D

edit: i wish i could just buy a kit and build it ...as is...just cant seem to do it...always wanting more and more like some bash crazed woman dremel in hand :D

Or a hotel, the two Jefferson stacked would make for a decent hotel (or a dorm!). Maybe a frat house? Sorry, I have mass occupancy on the brain for some reason.

Adding an addition to the Rosedale makes it more appealing to my eyes.

yeah i like the rosedale but it needs something to 'pop' it ....i like the tower idea too :hug:

I like it with the added wing, but I agree it could use.... something. I got this idea looking at the Beacon Hill in your avatar, actually -- something about the varied heights of the three segments of the house gives that one a really unique shape that the Rosedale bash could use.

post-7-1277086304_thumb.jpg post-7-1277087585_thumb.jpg

This would turn the third story into legitimate bedrooms (with windows!), and there would be an additional attic space above those. (I'd want the third story parts of the wings to flow into the main room, though, not be cut off with walls like they are in this picture. Couldn't figure out how to easily show that.) And I think the added height makes the whole thing look more impressive and balanced.

That being said... it might be too difficult for me to want to attempt. Without having the kit I can't really say how hard it would be to change the roofline to accommodate this. (Maybe someone who's built it can weigh in?)

Here's a simpler option that would make the upstairs more amenable to bedrooms without a ton of extra work. The windows could go straight into the roof (like they do in the Beacon Hill) or they could be set into a dormer.

post-7-1277085308_thumb.jpg

Oh, I really like that too! I like the 3 story and attic option best. Now I would really like to do that, but that would require two kits, and I have such a long list already... And I'm not confident enough to do all that bashing yet. Maybe by the time I get around to it I'll have that skill.

But I am really, really liking this.

omg woman omg!!!!!!!!! its a 1/2 scale beacon hill!!!! you are a genious!!! :D

now THAT i am doing!!!! :D

:hug: fabulous!!!!! :D

finally i have inspiration! :p this will be my french chateau...after having to sell my Barrington due to space limitations...i think this will be my consolation and my forge into a smaller scale :D (if thats ok Fov :D to steal your brilliant idea :p if not i may do the 2 jefferson bash...i like that too...of course i'll have to do 2 and back to back them :p )

o maiiii i'm totally losing the plot...i'm like a woman bash obsessed....maybe i should calm down and think on it :p

wowsers thanx :D

i'm like a woman possessed :hug:

what about this?

there would only be 2 more double windows to scratch/copy build....wowsers i'm loving this...thanks for a truely fantabulous idea :D

I don't know if I'd put such large windows in the attic. Otherwise, I like it!

There will be an extra round window in your second kit (from beside the staircase), as well as the door. Maybe you could create an attic window out of the door's window? It looks like it's the same shape as the large windows, but narrower.

I was trying to figure out a good way to fit the second staircase leading from the second to third story, but couldn't without turning the big room on the second floor into a big hallway, and that seems like a waste of space. Unless it could go right above the original staircase -- along the same wall, tucked into the same corner? I'm not sure it would fit there though.

yes to the door/window...good thinking!!! :D or the big one in the attic could be a balconette maybe...hard to say without having it in front of you

hmmmm yes the stairs..well will think on that...maybe a false wall/hallway so no stairs actually needed just the illusion they are behind it somewhere?

probably make the other small oval roof windows like the beacon sort of dormer style

i'm sooooooo excited!!! :hug:

Oh, I like the one with the Beaconhill reference. As long as you have the proper cutting tools, it wouldn't be hard to do.

I am glad everyone is discussing bashing, the 1/2 scale Chantilly I bought will be bashed and I need ideas.

It's funny. The closer I get to finishing the Victorianna, the louder my other houses cry for attention. The florist's shop just recently kicked up a fuss to have it's roof finished and the front hinged, the lightkeeper's cottage reminded me that I promised it a yard when I found some chickens for it (and I did find chickens, soooo....), The Primrose is asking me to do something about it's porch, the townhouse wants it's backside covered and the door put on.

Actually, the only quiet one is the Chantilly. She's being very patient.

The big windows in Linda's last picture would work as doors. Extend the top floor out from the front roof to make a balcony supported by turned posts or columns to an extended second floor; balcony and replace those center second floor windows with a set of French doors, and make a porch across the front downstairs with planters, wicker porch furniture, swing, etc.

• 2 months later...

It's official! I'm not going to get started on it until I finish my Westville (and possibly some other in-progress stuff), but I took advantage of the 20% off sale from the newsletter to buy my two Rosedale kits. So this bash WILL happen... someday. :D

• 1 month later...

post-7-1277086304_thumb.jpg post-7-1277087585_thumb.jpg

I love the way this looks! I don't like the Rosedale by itself it seems too....plain I guess...but THIS I could go for! But I have a question. :bear: ...it's possibly a stupid one but as I've never bashed beyond adding a windor or door into an existing wall I was wondering how would you attach two walls/floors together like that? Do you have to recut the floors? or is there a way to attach them side by side? :monkeydance: Thanks in advance.

Don't know -- haven't thought much about that yet! I'll probably just use lots of glue, and possibly strip wood reinforcements if needed. For example, a piece of wood could be applied underneath the foundation to attach the new part of the first floor to the original first floor. I'm not planning to side this house, but if I were, the siding could help reinforce the joint between the original and new exterior walls. (I'm probably going to do stucco.)

• 3 months later...