Sharing a technique

WyckedWood

Thanks again Daisy, Casey's work is a thousand times more detailed than mine! I didnt know she had worked with the plaster,thanks for the link.

I'll try to find the wax to play around with it,I dont want shine,just a glow,what youre describing sounds about right.

Also,just so there is no misunderstanding, there is no modpodge on the siding,its only necessary on the mud that is piped thinly for the trim.

you can buy it premixed or in powder form. Its the stuff (consistency of mud) that builders use along with a type of tape to patch the seams of butted up drywall.

Karin, I would be really interested in a tutorial for this. I have been checking out your album and that house is really impressive. Maybe you could do one for the Gazette, I'm sure there would be a lot of interested readers. I still don't understand what drywall mud is - is that a brand name or is a trade name for a product? Is it a powder that you mix or is it already mixed - so many questions sorry.

Karin, thanks so much for posting your technique...I've used dry wall compound on all my houses, and was just planning to "comb" siding on my Orchid, but I hadn't thought of cutting my own comb. Great idea!!! Paperclay is too expensive, and has to be shipped, for me to use. I'm dying to try the fancy stuff. I've used the compound for a slate floor, and am pleased with the result, although I'm sure it could be done better. Thanks again for your generosity, you talented lady, you !! :hug:

Thanks Patricia!

Just in case anyone wants to try this...make sure you mask off the space for your windows and doors first. Masking tape works,and the tape can be pulled up easily a few hours after the mud sets up. Since I put the mud on after my house was built,I just masked around the edges of windows and doors first. Pulled the tape off after a few hours. Also,the drywall mud can be sanded really easily,if there is a bump you dont like or an imperfection you dont like. I like the imperfections,so I leave them,but if you were more careful than I am you could use this technique for siding on a normal,nice looking house:)

Wow, that is incredible!! Any chance the Sea Hag's last name is Bates?!! I think Norman and his mother would be very 'at home' here!!

Thanks for sharing--would love to see a tutorial...I have worked with the stuff in real life on my sister's house and think I would be much more successful at making it look lumpy (like the siding) than I was at trying to make it smooth!!

Tappy

When we lived on Cape Cod, quite a few houses were grey aged shingles with white trim. A little boring until summer came--then everyone had beautiful flower gardens and the grey made the perfect backdrop. You'll have to have some climbing roses too.

Karin, let me add my bouquet to those above. :hug: It's a fascinating technique and so well executed!

Please do think about doing a tutorial. Send a PM to Deb. If you get the steps in order, she'll help you with the text.

Thanks again everyone, it makes me feel really good to have so many of you, who's work I admire so much,enjoy what I did with the house. Honestly I didnt know if anyone would like it(except my friends who love the aged look) and I wouldnt have been surprised if people thought "What did she do to that house!" LOL...thats kind of what I thought when I started it...."What am I doing to my house?!"

Gina,thanks,thats my favorite thing about this house,I love the texture and extra dimension I got from the mud.

Debra...roses...for sure!! Cant wait to get to that part! Im sure that would be a beautiful contrast.

Im leaving for a much needed,anticipated vaca to SF tomorrow. Hoping to see some awesome old Victorians :hug: And were doing the Alcatraz tour which should be some good,ghostly, creepy inspiration! When I get back next week, I'll get the info needed from Deb! Thanks again everyone!

One more thing, if you buy the bucket of mud....be sure to give it a good stir first, the top of the bucket will be a little runny until its stirred and if its runny at all, the piped on trim wont make a design. Also,stock up on the papertowels :hug:

I have worked with wall mud before but never to the extent you did. Your results are amazing and very effective! Will need to explore it further on a future project myself. Hmmmm, where is that cake decorating kit I bought years ago and never used?

Hey Gang...........I'm a little late to the party, but just a little to add. I have used the cake bags and tips for crown moldings, corbels, ceilings, etc. I use the modelling paste in the art department at Hob Lob. When it is dry, it can be carved, sanded, etc. Yet you can "pipe" onto wal paper and it will be pliable when you lift it off. Cool stuff. This is an awesome way to side a house, and love that the drywall mud works as it would be cheaper! Oops, meant to say wax paper....it's not letting me go in and edit................

Thanks Patricia!

Also,the drywall mud can be sanded really easily,if there is a bump you dont like or an imperfection you dont like. I like the imperfections,so I leave them,but if you were more careful than I am you could use this technique for siding on a normal,nice looking house:)

Using a damp sponge to go over imperfections also works very well. A very damp sponge though, you don't want it too wet. Just smooth it over the dried area and voila! Bumps/imperfections are gone. (I learned this technique when helping my boyfriend do the drywall in our house) Note: It's called Joint Compound, so if you wanted to buy some, that's what you need to ask for. :hug:

Your house looks totally amazing! I was blown away! Wonderful job.

The first Hallowe'en issue of American Miniaturist had an article by Sherise Langston (NOT sure how to spell her last name) who bashed two Buttercup kits together to make a house for Biker Skeletons and she used the drywall mud and piping tips to make the siding and trims, and had a diagram & instructions to make the comb. I just thought I'd mention it, since y'all were talking about a Gazette tutorial, and I know we don't want to get into copyright infringement here, even when it's totally someone else's idea, too. A tutorial for that round window trim with the lion's head would be da bomb, though; nowhere have I ever seen anything so gorgeous!

*edited to add*

I think it was American Miniaturist #4; it was the very first Hallowe'en issue, and Sherise Landry is the name of the lady who wrote the article about using drywall mud to side and trim a house, and how to make the comb.

Just wanted to bump this thread up so it won't be lost! I think I'll try the drywall mud for my adobe. What I'm curious about, and maybe someone can make suggestions...I won't be leaving exposed window frames, but will stucco right up to the window itself. Do you think if I use a ruler or something similar as a barrier, so to speak, and just drywall right up to the ruler, then remove it, that I can do this without getting mud on the windows? Or maybe just put masking tape over them and pull it off later?

That's what I've always used, too. But we are going to have to buy a bunch of drywall mud to do the venetian plaster in the bathroom...if I ever get all the paper down! So I thought I would just buy extra and try that.