My sister and I

patricia b

have renewed our correspondence after a misunderstanding that lasted 35 years! As you can imagine, I'm delighted, and would like to send her a little gift...she's in her 80's, and has just finished a beautiful piece of tole work. She used to do stained glass work, and won prizes for her work, so she's obviously talented and creative. She lives with her daughter and son-in-law, who both go out to work every day, so she's alone quite a bit with her little dog, in her granny suite. There are no grandchildren. We get together on the web, and she mentioned how impressed she has always been with minis, especially furniture. at first I thought of sending her a finished piece, but now I'm wondering if she might enjoy a kit...she still does jig saw puzzles, and I'm not sure if she even wears glasses...unlike me !! I thought perhaps a Chrysonbon kit might interest her..she's never seen them, and they are so nicely detailed, with no sanding required. What do youall think? By the way, the women in my family all live to be at least 100yrs. old, so there's still a lot of time left for her..and me,...to fill with fun hobbies. I'll be interested to hear your opinions. Thanks in advance

I was going to suggest a collaboration, too. You could each make something for the project and make a little vignette symbolizing your coming together once again. ;) Congrats on the happy and hopeful news.

Patricia, how wonderful that you've reconnected! Is she interested in making minis or admiring them? If she says she's impressed by them, it could go either way. I think I'd mention you have a kit you're not using and tell her you'd be happy to share if she'd be interested in putting it together. If you just send it out of the blue and she's not really interested in doing the work herself, it could be awkward.

So happy for you that you have reconnected! Family is important, even if we don't always agree with them ;) I'd recommend something simple that wouldn't be overwhelming and discouraging. Have you seen the cute kits that HBS has? One is a chair with some "stuff" on it - there are a couple small projects that would be fun to do and beautiful to display. (We have several centennials in our family also; I fully expect my mother to make it to 100!)

Thanks for the imput, everyone !!! It's such a treat to be able to get other's opinions. I was uneasy about going ahead with a gift, but I wasn't sure why...after reading your thoughts, I re-examined the info my sister had given me. She said she was impressed with minis, and that she always looked at them when she was visiting Frankenmuth. But, she is financially comfortable, and never mentioned buying any. What she did ask me for was pictures of my work. so, I think that she is being suportive of my hobby. I don't think her apartment is very large, and she has her own work to fill it up with. I did send her a pic of an unfinshed piece (didn't understand my camera too well at that time), so I think I'll give her what she asked for, not what I'd like to give her!!! Duh !! I'm planning on getting my son Shawn to take pics for me next time he's down..he's got a good steady hand, and then I'll be able to send her copies, and post them in my gallery :mellow: Thanks again, guys, I feel so relieved!! Sure didn't want to make a wrong step with this new-again relationship. ;)

Thanks for the imput, everyone !!! It's such a treat to be able to get other's opinions. I was uneasy about going ahead with a gift, but I wasn't sure why...after reading your thoughts, I re-examined the info my sister had given me. She said she was impressed with minis, and that she always looked at them when she was visiting Frankenmuth. But, she is financially comfortable, and never mentioned buying any. What she did ask me for was pictures of my work. so, I think that she is being suportive of my hobby. I don't think her apartment is very large, and she has her own work to fill it up with. I did send her a pic of an unfinshed piece (didn't understand my camera too well at that time), so I think I'll give her what she asked for, not what I'd like to give her!!! Duh !! I'm planning on getting my son Shawn to take pics for me next time he's down..he's got a good steady hand, and then I'll be able to send her copies, and post them in my gallery :mellow: Thanks again, guys, I feel so relieved!! Sure didn't want to make a wrong step with this new-again relationship. ;)