frustrating: family and my Mom's hearing!

bookmarm

:pcwhack: I would love to hear some ideas...or maybe I just need to vent! My 93 year old mom wears a hearing aid, and even though it was 'top of the line' at the time she got it just a few years ago, it just isn't doing the trick. Audiologists have tweaked and adjusted it many times, but I think her hearing situation is just beyond help from an aid. She lives alone about 20 miles from us. My brothers live several states away and seldom visit her (each came once last year and stayed just 2 days). My older brother gave her a new phone last year, even though there was nothing wrong with the simple phone my DH had just given her, because he thought that would solve her problems with hearing and talking over it. This is the most frustrating phone around, all complex settings and buttons. Just to answer it she has to push buttons several levels up to adjust the volume...EACH time she answers it! She called me yesterday and was miserable because she can't hear people who call. I e-mailed both of my brothers last night and told them we really need to help her so her life can have some quality this late in life (don't bother to suggest assisted living residence, we have gone round and round that tree many times). Anyway, the only message I got back was from one SIL (a doctor) who said she talked to mom just 2 days ago and that they could hear each other 'just fine' and didn't my brother (her husband) just give mom a really nice phone? Then she went on to tell us that she wants us to bring mom up to there lake house this summer (but we were only given the choice of 3 weekends, because their lives are very busy). Of course this is several states away, we would be 5 squished into one car with luggage, and we'd have to stay in a hotel (our expense) because the lake house really isn't large enough for everyone. They think they are being perfectly reasonable and generous to 'host' this family gathering instead of coming down to visit mom in her own home. I wrote back that we had to decline, no the lovely phone was not very useful, and that mom's "intermittent" (SIL's diagnosis) hearing problem has been a constant problem for several years. I suspect my other brother will be somewhat helpful, so I'm hoping to hear from him soon.

Okay, vent is over. Question: has anyone out there who either has a hearing problem or has dealt with the problem with family members, had any luck with a particular type of phone? If DH and I pay for it, we could probably go up to a few hundred dollars if really necessary, though cash is tight. Our main concern is that it needs to be fairly simple for her to use. Any ideas you all can share would be wonderful!

Gosh, Gayle, how frustrating for you and your mother both. Have you asked your mom's audiologist about assisted hearing phones? He may have some recommendations.

I saw an advertisement on tv for a phone that typed out the words on a small screen and she can talk on the phone but your words where typed out.. I thought it was very handy..

They used to make a amp for a phone attachment to make the volume louder..

Also I would invest in life alert.. and I would contact your local social service office and see if the

workers that handles adults could offer any advice on particular phones. They might have some resources that

you were unaware of..

Also do a search on yahoo/google and see what you can come up with I did hearing impaired telephones and

a lot of webpages came up..

Hope that you find something that works for your mom..

Good luck with your search for a phone for your mom. I dont know if this is a stupid answer but would she be able to use a rotary phone?

It's sad that we dont spend more time with our mothers and fathers when they are older. I know I dont and I should, my mom lives about 5 hours away and we see her a few times a year. She finds it hard to travel because of her back and some emotional issues she has had a long time.

She and her partner Mary also smoke very heavy and my husband is super alergic to it. Makes him very ill, so going to there house is not an option.

I call her at least once a week and send her pics and put pictues up on facebook for her to see of the boys. Well I hope you find a solution to your mom issue with the phone.

Sending you hugs and I compleaty understand about the venting!!

Jenn

I noticed you are from South Carolina so I typed in free phones for the hearing impaired for your state. Here is the link from the website it took me too.

South Carolina assistive technologies

There is a great deal of info on this site. If you scroll down the page you’ll find a section for equipment distribution. Hope it might have something that suits your situation. Good luck.

Gayle, I don't know about the volume issue, but my Mom (83 this yr.) has one of those Jitterbug phones - she loves it! Large keypad, no fancy/confusing stuff added and I would assume the volume is adjustable as the phone seems to have been designed for older people's ease of use. Also, it does not cost and arm and leg per month. Might be worth a try. www.jitterbug.com

Wishing you good luck. I know how hard it is when Mom is aging and family member's disagree as to what is best. :pcwhack:

Oh, another benefit: They have a service called LiveNurse, where Mom can talk to a nurse at any time if she has health questions. At 83, it makes my Mom feel a bit more at ease. :p

I have a friend who was born with severe hearing problems. She wears hearing aids, but one still needs to speak rather loudly to her.

She has a phone that is made especially for people who cannot hear very well. It's like a miracle.

As far as taking mom several states away.....no!

Mom's family can come to her. And if they don't or won't, I say phooey on them.

I realize you are in a very difficult situation, and you have been left to do all the work. I've always believed that in cases like this, you will be rewarded somehow or way. I believe that God smiles down on people who take care of their moms.

Bless you, and I pray that you will have the strength you need.